What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

If the FO has keen interest in Rodgers and/or Watson, then nothing will happen until 2022 anyway. Watson will most likely be on the exempt list at some point as his case just isn't progressing anywhere at the moment so would not be surprised to see the NFL announce his status shortly. To be honest they should have already done this as they've had plenty of time to do so and Houston, other teams etc need to know his status to move forward and plan. 

Green Bay seems adamant on keeping Rodgers around for another year, and I don't see Aaron digging in that hard that he'll miss games or sit out. He'll eventually show up, play the season and then next offseason will be when movement happens. 

For this year we've just gotta let Drew and Teddy compete. This is arguably both of their last chances of being a starter in the NFL. Drew is so marmite with a lot of analysts arguing that he shouldn't even be a starter and Teddy's shown good stuff in Minnesota and New Orleans but the Panthers gave him a big contract last year and decided he wasn't worth it so if either of them don't succeed here, where else can they go?

I would hope they both know this, and put everything in to being QB1. If one of them gets over the hump and shows they can be our starter, great. If not, then we're back next offseason discussing A-Rod trade value. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PFM18 said:

If the FO has keen interest in Rodgers and/or Watson, then nothing will happen until 2022 anyway. Watson will most likely be on the exempt list at some point as his case just isn't progressing anywhere at the moment so would not be surprised to see the NFL announce his status shortly. To be honest they should have already done this as they've had plenty of time to do so and Houston, other teams etc need to know his status to move forward and plan. 

Green Bay seems adamant on keeping Rodgers around for another year, and I don't see Aaron digging in that hard that he'll miss games or sit out. He'll eventually show up, play the season and then next offseason will be when movement happens. 

For this year we've just gotta let Drew and Teddy compete. This is arguably both of their last chances of being a starter in the NFL. Drew is so marmite with a lot of analysts arguing that he shouldn't even be a starter and Teddy's shown good stuff in Minnesota and New Orleans but the Panthers gave him a big contract last year and decided he wasn't worth it so if either of them don't succeed here, where else can they go?

I would hope they both know this, and put everything in to being QB1. If one of them gets over the hump and shows they can be our starter, great. If not, then we're back next offseason discussing A-Rod trade value. 

I personally think Broncos fans are writing Lock off a bit too soon. There was a pandemic crazy off-season, best wr got injured , Fant was banged up, Albert O a favorite weapon tore his acl, the injury, the mask bs , draft position, No qb since Manning, pro comp was Cutler which it didn't end well and he was kinda a tool so I think we throw Lock in there even though I don't think it's fair at all.

What Lock has on his side arm talent, second year in the system first time since sophomore year in college, injuries will eventually balance everything out, he's kind of a quiet leader even with all the dancing but he's gotta take command, play with confidence, play faster and our run game has to improve and I think with Williams and the guard that's probably gonna happen which will open up playaction which imo is Locks best trait. 

All that happens and the stats and qbr will be there and than we can compare him to the top 10 pick everyone thought he may be coming out.

15 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I personally think Broncos fans are writing Lock off a bit too soon. There was a pandemic crazy off-season, best wr got injured , Fant was banged up, Albert O a favorite weapon tore his acl, the injury, the mask bs , draft position, No qb since Manning, pro comp was Cutler which it didn't end well and he was kinda a tool so I think we throw Lock in there even though I don't think it's fair at all.

What Lock has on his side arm talent, second year in the system first time since sophomore year in college, injuries will eventually balance everything out, he's kind of a quiet leader even with all the dancing but he's gotta take command, play with confidence, play faster and our run game has to improve and I think with Williams and the guard that's probably gonna happen which will open up playaction which imo is Locks best trait. 

All that happens and the stats and qbr will be there and than we can compare him to the top 10 pick everyone thought he may be coming out.

That is all he has. and Jamarcus Russell had more than him.

He can't hit the broad side of a barn and that is something that rarely changes significantly.

But at the same time, OC has to make his playbook work for our guys, not make our guys work for his playbook. Yes we have lots of talent at receiver but that doesn't mean you have to have crazy long developing concepts when your QB can't process anything after his first read and has terrible downfield accuracy.

We also have good talent in the backfield. Having a good running game with extreme talent at receiver wins more championships than people think. He's a ****ty brad johnson with a cannon that can't hit target.

Edited by BullsandBroncos
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

we also have good talent in the backfield. Having a good running game with extreme talent at receiver wins more championships than people think. He's a ****ty brad johnson with a cannon that can't hit target.

The biggest question I have right now is whether or not we've solved the issues on the IOL. If we have, either Teddy or Drew will shine this year. If we haven't, neither Drew, Teddy, Rodgers or Brady could do well.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

He can't hit the broad side of a barn and that is something that rarely changes significantly.

That’s simply not true. It’s not that he’s inaccurate, at least not in a Tim Tebow or Jamarcus Russel sense. He plays with ****ty footwork when he gets off rhythm in the pocket. He does much better on designed roll outs because of this. (which is why he was better his rookie year) 

footwork can be fixed. We’ve seen it with Josh Allen. Let’s see if the kid put in the requisite work in his first full offseason. 

• Like 4

On 7/20/2021 at 1:49 PM, 7DnBrnc53 said:

It looks like Rodgers declined a two-year extension from the Packers:

https://denverfan.com/2094599/schefter-gives-broncos-country-glimmer-of-rodgers-hope/

This is huge.  The optics are huge.  You just slapped the organization in the face by refusing this extension.  He clearly wants out and you are doing your team a huge disservice by not getting as much as you can for him.  He won't come cheap at all though.  And the optics are also on Rogers - how can you refuse to be the highest paid player in the nfl??????  What does that say about you?????  He's a mess but I could deal with him for a few years and you have to think he becomes somewhat normal if he gets his wish, the trade.  Or at least you would hope. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, anewdawn said:

This is huge.  The optics are huge.  You just slapped the organization in the face by refusing this extension.  He clearly wants out and you are doing your team a huge disservice by not getting as much as you can for him.  He won't come cheap at all though.  And the optics are also on Rogers - how can you refuse to be the highest paid player in the nfl??????  What does that say about you?????  He's a mess but I could deal with him for a few years and you have to think he becomes somewhat normal if he gets his wish, the trade.  Or at least you would hope. 

And it look like the contract situation with Adams isn't looking good. I am not sure what that will tell players throughout the league about the Packers.  Perhaps Rogers is right about how they are handling their players.  

The only option the Packers have, I would think would be to trade Adam and Rogers, and get as many draft picks as you can so that you can draft players who won't make trade demands for three or four years.  And in that time, you'd better clean up organizational problems so that you aren't rifting with marquee players.  

It looks like the Packers have to start over, and they might as well trade Rogers and Adams to the Broncos for some draft picks and Sutton.    

• Like 2

On 7/23/2021 at 10:09 AM, jsthomp2007 said:

And it look like the contract situation with Adams isn't looking good. I am not sure what that will tell players throughout the league about the Packers.  Perhaps Rogers is right about how they are handling their players.  

The only option the Packers have, I would think would be to trade Adam and Rogers, and get as many draft picks as you can so that you can draft players who won't make trade demands for three or four years.  And in that time, you'd better clean up organizational problems so that you aren't rifting with marquee players.  

It looks like the Packers have to start over, and they might as well trade Rogers and Adams to the Broncos for some draft picks and Sutton.    

I’m not sure that’s feasible on our end as Adams will also want top-flight money. Thing is we are getting a cap boost next year but not sure if we can tie up what would have be $50m in cap space for those 2. 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I’m not sure that’s feasible on our end as Adams will also want top-flight money. Thing is we are getting a cap boost next year but not sure if we can tie up what would have be $50m in cap space for those 2. 

probably closer to $60m. Adams wants $25m. 

How do the legalities work in terms of retirement? Say Rodgers decides to retire this off-season, and then comes out of retirement. Green Bay would still own rights to him for the duration of his current contract, correct?

Edited by 1234567
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, 1234567 said:

How do the legalities work in terms of retirement? Say Rodgers decides to retire this off-season, and then comes out of retirement. Green Bay would still own rights to him for the duration of his current contract, correct?

It just rolls over 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

It just rolls over 

If the report that Rodgers rejected a contract extension is accurate then it is very unlikely he will ever play for GB again. If GB get stubborn and it comes down to a game of chicken I could see Rodgers retiring and telling GB to get stuffed. It would demonstrate utter incompetence on behalf of the GB hierarchy not to get as big a haul as possible for Rodgers and start a rebuild process - and would bury them for at least the next 5-6 years as basement dwellers. Getting 2-3 picks and a player or two would help the rebuilding process significantly.