What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

12 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I find that interesting. I'm exactly on the other end of the spectrum. I'm more excited about this team than I have been for decades.

Even being pessimistic I think our D, OL and offensive skill positions are all top 10 units with a chance to be much better, top 5 being very possible. We're also deeper than we've been in maybe ever and it's quality depth. If we can get even average QB play ( 2 to 1 TD/Int, 65% completion, 7 YPA) we could be in the hunt. 

Basically, any team that can field a top 5 defense and a top 10 offense has a good chance to win it all. As balanced, strong and deep as we are I'm all fired up about the season.

I'd guess that by mid season thoughts of Rodgers will be forgotten.

I am in AAA's camp with regard to this season.  He hit it on the head so unenthused.  I'm considering not even getting the nfl package.  After that first round I was almost in tears (I was just so dumbfounded) and Surtain was my choice if no qb was there (save Jones, didn't want him).  But there was a qb there wasn't there and we didn't have to give up any further asset other than our fn pick like you pray it works out.  Oh well..............whats done is fn done.  Yet I have to pull for these guys and I'll say this.  I don't think that Lock can outdo Bridgy but man cmon can you imagine being the qb here............think of it 4wr sets, with Fant with two great rb's that can catch the ball.  If you as the qb can't move the chains on this team there is something wrong.  I guess I'm kind of saying we all think the optics of Lock starting is the best and if he doesn't with this offense it speaks volumes but if he fails to I think Bridgy has a good shot of having a pretty good year but we'll find out soon enough.......

• Like 1

Looks possible that Rodgers plays for GB this season - and they agree to release him as a free agent at the end of the season (same with Adams). Rodgers then gets to pick where he plays out the rest of his career.

Don't know why GB would do that - can't see them winning the SB next season and the draft haul they would get for Rodgers (and Adams) could help set them up for a decade.

16 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I find that interesting. I'm exactly on the other end of the spectrum. I'm more excited about this team than I have been for decades.

Even being pessimistic I think our D, OL and offensive skill positions are all top 10 units with a chance to be much better, top 5 being very possible. We're also deeper than we've been in maybe ever and it's quality depth. If we can get even average QB play ( 2 to 1 TD/Int, 65% completion, 7 YPA) we could be in the hunt. 

Basically, any team that can field a top 5 defense and a top 10 offense has a good chance to win it all. As balanced, strong and deep as we are I'm all fired up about the season.

I'd guess that by mid season thoughts of Rodgers will be forgotten.

We were 28th in scoring offense last year. What has changed to get us into the top-5? A healthy Courtland Sutton isn't good enough to improve the scoring 23 spots.

Pat Shurmur is a bottom-5 OC. We have Drew, who might make some strides, or check-down Teddy at QB. In a division with Maholmes and Herbert. We have a HC who can't manage the clock. There are still lingering questions at RT and while Glasgow is paid like a top OG, I saw average play out of him last year, through he was markedly better than Cushenberry, who looks like a bust. Muti and Minerz look nice on paper but have limited or zero NFL experince. Albert O is coming back from a serious injury. 

Forgive me but I do not share the enthusiasm for the offense that some do. 

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

We were 28th in scoring offense last year. What has changed to get us into the top-5? A healthy Courtland Sutton isn't good enough to improve the scoring 23 spots.

Pat Shurmur is a bottom-5 OC. We have Drew, who might make some strides, or check-down Teddy at QB. In a division with Maholmes and Herbert. We have a HC who can't manage the clock. There are still lingering questions at RT and while Glasgow is paid like a top OG, I saw average play out of him last year, through he was markedly better than Cushenberry, who looks like a bust. Muti and Minerz look nice on paper but have limited or zero NFL experince. Albert O is coming back from a serious injury. 

I didn't say that. I specifically broke it down into OL and skill positions, and believe they will each be top-10 units at a minimum. Unless Shurmer taps into his inner Shanahan or Kubiak we'll still be restricted. (Just think what Shanny could do with this personnel)

Personally, I think Shurmer and Shula are really under the gun to produce. Personnel wise, there's no reason they shouldn't be able to raise their output by a TD per game to 27+-. Defensively we were giving up almost 28 pts per game last year. With the group we've got I wouldn't be surprised at a 7+ point drop. That would give us a top 5 D and top 10 O.

Like I said, I just don't share your pessimism. 

Edited by AKRNA

Just now, AKRNA said:

I didn't say that. I specifically broke it down into OL and skill positions, and believe they will each be top-10 units at a minimum. Unless Shurmer taps into his inner Shanahan or Kubiak we'll still be restricted. (Just think what Shanny could do with this personnel)

Personally, I think Shurmer and Shula are really under the gun to produce. Personnel wise, there's no reason they shouldn't be able to raise their output by a TD per game to 27+-. Defensively we were giving up almost 28 pts per game last year. With the group we've got I wouldn't be surprised at a 10 point drop.

Like I said, I just don't share your pessimism. 

I expect defensive improvement simply based on fewer injuries and some better secondary players being brought in. That said, I think it's wildly optimistic to expect a significant offensive jump. I think the spectre of a QB switch will haunt the team for most of the year. We have the personnel, in theory, to be able to throw points up on the scoreboard. It's just not clear we can do that consistently. If this team can average 24-28PPG, and maintain a solid defense, we're almost certainly in the hunt. But again, it all begs the question whether the ceiling of the current QB group is perpetually "in the hunt" or something better?

I am actually extremely excited for this season, mainly because I think it will determine what the next few years for us will look like.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I do have a great deal of enthusiasm that the Broncos can get to a 9-8 record this season, which in this division probably does not get you to the post season.  Alas, I just hope the wins breed some enthusiasm for a great buyer for the team, who can attract better coaching, and hopefully next year we can land an Aaron Rogers while they draft his successor. 

On 7/29/2021 at 11:56 AM, jsthomp2007 said:

I do have a great deal of enthusiasm that the Broncos can get to a 9-8 record this season, which in this division probably does not get you to the post season.  Alas, I just hope the wins breed some enthusiasm for a great buyer for the team, who can attract better coaching, and hopefully next year we can land an Aaron Rogers while they draft his successor. 

This FO is still trying to draft Peyton Manning's successor. Not confident of getting for Rodgers too. 

5 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Klis was saying on the The Fan today it’s likely going to be Teddy. Color me surprised. 

Not surprised at all. This is a kid that made the pro bowl his second year. He's finally healthy and very smart. Has an NFL arm and a bit of wiggle. 

Here's a prediction. If he's our starter he'll get his second pro bowl selection this year, maybe All Pro. Ask me again in January.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Not surprised at all. This is a kid that made the pro bowl his second year. He's finally healthy and very smart. Has an NFL arm and a bit of wiggle. 

Here's a prediction. If he's our starter he'll get his second pro bowl selection this year, maybe All Pro. Ask me again in January.

Cool...just put that on my calendar to ask you in January. 

12 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Klis was saying on the The Fan today it’s likely going to be Teddy. Color me surprised. 

Every time over the last few days that Lock has had a chance to show he can beat out Teddy he has blown it. The guy is just too inconsistent (and I still think they should start him).

This was always going to the problem with bringing in a middling vet QB to compete with Drew.

If Teddy does outperform Drew, you have to start him, as you have 51 grown men who's livelihoods depend on winning that can see everything the Coaches can.

He certainly hasn't had it all his own way, but by the standards of any non-top 10 draft pick, Drew has had a fair shot. He's been given game time and he's taken plenty of reps this TC with our 1's. Again, to the average NFL player, that is a very fair shot.

Personally, I would have not brought in someone to compete for this exact reason. I wanted us to find out if Drew had it, and find out this year to not leave any doubt. I posted this in the TC group earlier in the week. Still holds true:

1) Young QB struggles, so team brings in veteran QB to push him
2) Veteran QB shows better in camp
3) Neither really get going in preseason games due to split reps
4) Coaches go with the vet for Week 1
5) Vet struggles, because after all he is a veteran journeyman QB and 'he is who he is'. Fans clamour for young QB
6) Young QB comes in, gives a short boost before inevitably falling back down to earth

... and ...

7) Team still doesn't have a QB.

Edited by lomaxgrUK
  • Like 2

Lomax, Drew has not has a fair shot.  Last year was a disaster for anyone!!! Drew has hurt himself by not being healthy...that's the only thing he has done, and those were his faults too, he cannot be THAT aggressive...not in the NFL when a 330 lb DL can outrun you and crush you.  But, in terms of being in a system for more than one, I feel for him...I read an article that he hasn't had the same offensive coordinator since 2017; he is constantly having to study a new playbook, learn a new system...so, I cannot say it's been fair for him.  

With that said, I am not expecting much from Drew because while he has been in there it's been too fire and then ice.  With Teddy you know what you are going to get.  And, if you know that you can run the ball, and you know the defense will be a top 3 unit, than maybe that's all you need?? However, I also think that is a waste with Fant, Jeudy, and Sutton on the team...you are wasting having potentially the three best pass catchers in the league.  If the goal this year is to hand the ball off to the stable of RBs on the roster, and then wait for the defense to hold the opponent, you can have Rypien hold the fort for that game. 

I mean also you have KJ and Patrick who are no slouches in bed either. 

Edited by jsthomp2007