What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

45 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

When's the last time we had a 5 year drought of the postseason? Can't remember that in my life time

2006-2010. Of course three of those years featured late season meltdowns after hot starts. We haven’t even been in position to melt down in the past four seasons. I haven’t rooted for a Week 17 win since 2015. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

2006-2010. Of course three of those years featured late season meltdowns after hot starts. We haven’t even been in position to melt down in the past four seasons. I haven’t rooted for a Week 17 win since 2015. 

True I think that's it I feel like 09 felt special til lthat collapse lol. And that Rivers Cutler showdowns in 08 were epic that first game with the ed hock fumble miss call was epic

10 hours ago, broncosfan07 said:

But we are a joke of a franchise now so there’s that.

I'm not gonna go into it too much, but the reality of the current day is that you have to be a location players want to play in. Especially with FA being bigger than ever. A lot of what makes players want to play for a team is an owner/ownership group that is at least cognizant/supportive of social justice causes that a lot of players rally around. One can discount that in favor of their own political beliefs, but to do so is to completely miss the mark when it comes to the NFL. 

15 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

It’s not a stand for beliefs. He can do that. ALL HE WANTS and will find no bigger champion than yours truly. Take a stand for what you believe in, use your celebrity to make a difference in the world. 

But he’s acting like he’s in a position to dictate how his franchise operates. Not cool. If McNair/Easterby told him they’d run their choices past him, or they’d gauge his opinion, or allow him to weigh in, and the they didn’t, they lied and he can ask for a trade. I’ll support him there. 

If, however, he thought he could LeBron it and pick his coach/GM, then he needs a comeuppance.  And I wouldn’t want an entitled, never won anything of note in the NFL cancer like that within 100 miles of my locker room. 

So if you were Houston you would trade him or try and work through it?

19 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

POS has one playoff win in his career; he needs to stop listening to media sycophants, his posse or crew or entourage or whatever they’re calling it these days. He needs to learn he hasn’t done Jack crap on this league and should STFU and stop acting he’s got 5 rings and is an assured first-ballot HOF’r. 

Why are you so triggered by this? 😂 calm tf down 

He clearly has leverage here and has the absolute right to stand up for his beliefs. Grow up and stop acting like these players need to just “shut up and play” for your sake. Who cares what he’s accomplished in this league, he knows his worth and he has every right to utilize his leverage whether you or any other narrow-minded fan likes it 

3 hours ago, The Helicopter said:

So if you were Houston you would trade him or try and work through it?

Personally, just out of curiosity I'd like to see them do it. I'd really like to know how much value real NFL people put on that one position.

To take on a $40 million contract and give up 3 1st's and 2nds is quite literally putting all your eggs in one basket. Houston would ask for that but I think they'd end up getting far less. I'd just like to know. It's not a situation with much precedent.

6 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I'm not gonna go into it too much, but the reality of the current day is that you have to be a location players want to play in. Especially with FA being bigger than ever. A lot of what makes players want to play for a team is an owner/ownership group that is at least cognizant/supportive of social justice causes that a lot of players rally around. One can discount that in favor of their own political beliefs, but to do so is to completely miss the mark when it comes to the NFL. 

The problem is that most of the owners, most of the GM and a lot of the HCs were/are Trump supporters.

I fully support the right of players to express their political opinion and to engage in political activism to further the political agenda they support (except for fascists) - but trying to find an owner/front office/HC who fits into the idea of openly supporting political, economic and social justice campaigns really is p*ssing against the wind. Most of these people are billionaires / multi-millionaires. A prime example of this is Trump giving that award to BB before he gets unceremoniously kicked out the door.

I have to say that I do admire the stand taken women playing for the Atlanta Dream in shafting their owner in more ways than one.

50 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

To take on a $40 million contract and give up 3 1st's and 2nds is quite literally putting all your eggs in one basket. Houston would ask for that but I think they'd end up getting far less. I'd just like to know. It's not a situation with much precedent.

Coupled with the fact that Watson may get a bit bigheaded and be a disruptive force in the locker-room.

I don't get where Watson is coming from with the social justice stuff - its not that long ago he was saying that he stays out of politics and religion and he had no problem getting huggy-wuggy with Trump when he visited the White House after being drafted.

Now the guy might have seen a lightbulb go off (as many people have in the recent period) - but Justin Jackson he ain't.

4 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Coupled with the fact that Watson may get a bit bigheaded and be a disruptive force in the locker-room.

I don't get where Watson is coming from with the social justice stuff - its not that long ago he was saying that he stays out of politics and religion and he had no problem getting huggy-wuggy with Trump when he visited the White House after being drafted.

Now the guy might have seen a lightbulb go off (as many people have in the recent period) - but Justin Jackson he ain't.

I obviously don’t know the guy, but speaking personally, my age 21-25 years were probably the most formative for my social and global outlook of the world. I think it’s very possible that he’s had a similar “lightbulb”-type transformation. 

• Like 1

Watson was promised that he would be a part of the process. Well it didn’t happen, which is why he's upset. It has nothing to do with "social justice." From ESPN:

Watson had been assured by McNair that he would be involved in the process to hire a new coach and general manager and kept in the loop on the progress in those searches, but that didn't happen.

The Texans spent a bunch of resources to find a GM candidate only to ignore the recommendations and hire the guy they tampered with last year. Watson found out about the hire on Twitter. His anger is justified if you ask me.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

Watson was promised that he would be a part of the process. Well it didn’t happen, which is why he's upset. It has nothing to do with "social justice." From ESPN:

The Texans spent a bunch of resources to find a GM candidate only to ignore the recommendations and hire the guy they tampered with last year. Watson found out about the hire on Twitter. His anger is justified if you ask me.

Honestly, nothing before this offseason that we've heard from Watson has said he's a prima donna.    His time in Clemson and in HOU has earned him nothing but accolades for his character.  In fact, his character and leadership were intangibles that were key (along with other intangible skills in his QB skills, like pocket awareness and anticipation) to being evaluated over an average physical skill set.   

We know that HOU has been incredibly dysfunctional, and frankly, the Easterby-as-VP promotion is very questionable from a football perspective.   The dude has literally no prior NFL experience before 2017 as anything but a "character" coach.  His rise to power to an actual operations management is detailed here - https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/10/ex-chaplain-jack-easterby-houston-texans-chaos-after-power-struggle-daily-cover.        

Now, we have an org that hires a GM - after hiring a consulting firm for candidates, that leads to the actual GM hire not making their list.  I mean, I'm no fan of consultants - but that kind of action kind of makes it clear they were going with 1 guy, no matter the process.  And for them to do so without even talking to Watson, when part of Watson's extension the year prior came with the understanding that they'd let him be part of the process,  only to have Easterby & the FO to hire the GM without any input?    Yeah, it's hard to blame Watson here.

Honestly, nothing HOU's org has done the last 4-5 years deserves them to be getting the benefit of the doubt here.      Nothing Watson has done before has merited anything but high praise as a leader.   I know which side I lean to, and it's not really that close. 

Edited by Broncofan

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Honestly, nothing before this offseason that we've heard from Watson has said he's a prima donna.    His time in Clemson and in HOU has earned him nothing but accolades for his character.  In fact, his character and leadership were intangibles that were key (along with other intangible skills in his QB skills, like pocket awareness and anticipation) to being evaluated over an average physical skill set.   

We know that HOU has been incredibly dysfunctional, and frankly, the Easterby-as-VP promotion is very questionable from a football perspective.   The dude has literally no prior NFL experience before 2017 as anything but a "character" coach.  His rise to power to an actual operations management is detailed here - https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/10/ex-chaplain-jack-easterby-houston-texans-chaos-after-power-struggle-daily-cover.        

Now, we have an org that hires a GM - after hiring a consulting firm for candidates, that leads to the actual GM hire not making their list.  I mean, I'm no fan of consultants - but that kind of action kind of makes it clear they were going with 1 guy, no matter the process.  And for them to do so without even talking to Watson, when part of Watson's extension the year prior came with the understanding that they'd let him be part of the process,  only to have Easterby & the FO to hire the GM without any input?    Yeah, it's hard to blame Watson here.

Honestly, nothing HOU's org has done the last 4-5 years deserves them to be getting the benefit of the doubt here.      Nothing Watson has done before has merited anything but high praise as a leader.   I know which side I lean to, and it's not really that close. 

I heard Watson donated his first game check to some cafetaria workers at a high school, or something like that.  

On 1/10/2021 at 6:00 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

POS has one playoff win in his career; he needs to stop listening to media sycophants, his posse or crew or entourage or whatever they’re calling it these days. He needs to learn he hasn’t done Jack crap on this league and should STFU and stop acting he’s got 5 rings and is an assured first-ballot HOF’r. 

Why is he a POS? For trying to get the best deal for himself when his franchise pulled the wool over his eyes?