What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

On 7/28/2021 at 9:07 AM, jolly red giant said:

Looks possible that Rodgers plays for GB this season - and they agree to release him as a free agent at the end of the season (same with Adams). Rodgers then gets to pick where he plays out the rest of his career.

Don't know why GB would do that - can't see them winning the SB next season and the draft haul they would get for Rodgers (and Adams) could help set them up for a decade.

Zero chance of Rodgers being released.  They voided the 3rd year in his present contract, refused to void 2022.  That's because he will either sign an extension or he will be traded.  Adams if not extended will be tagged.

• Like 1

Hey I just got an internet tv package.  What is the local station in Denver that covers the Broncos game?  Will go this route versus getting the nfl package which is quite pricey in Canada.  Please include the call letters if you can.  Thanks in advance. 

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

looks like it's gonna be another year with the same level of play at the QB position. hard to not just be incredibly cynical and checked out on this team 

I'm surprised you say that. From everything I've read the level of play has gone up quite a bit. 

19 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I'm surprised you say that. From everything I've read the level of play has gone up quite a bit. 

The team is very good outside of the QB position - reports are more of the same. Which is gonna make this year even more frustrating if the QB holds us back 

It’s easily the best roster we’ve had since the Peyton years and more young talent than I ever remember.  The disappointment 100% comes from the context of this being an off-season where it looked like there were so many opportunities to appreciably upgrade the QB position (didn’t exactly play out that way but there were opportunities). I do think Fields is going to be really good and that it was a mistake to pass on him. 

The only scenario outside of a trade for a QB/drafting Fields where Broncos fans were going to feel great about the season was Lock running away with the job and dominating camp/preseason. That hasn’t happened. Now I think we’re all in “show me” mode. This team has the talent to be great, but mediocre QB play looks like the reality and it will take a lot to overcome. 

• Like 3

I have agree with both Deuce and BB.

The worst part about having such a talented roster (on paper) but with coaching and QB play that holds you back, odds are it will be tough to get into position to draft a franchise QB. Twice in the last 3 years we had that chance and both times we went for a defensive player. 

Welcome to NFL purgatory, gents. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I have agree with both Deuce and BB.

The worst part about having such a talented roster (on paper) but with coaching and QB play that holds you back, odds are it will be tough to get into position to draft a franchise QB. Twice in the last 3 years we had that chance and both times we went for a defensive player. 

Welcome to NFL purgatory, gents. 

I think everyone can agree that the best case scenario is Drew taking hold of the job and showing a bit of a leap from last year. Obviously it is discouraging that he hasn't..thus far. Like BB said ... I think it's fair for everyone to be in "show me" zone rather than having faith that a leap is going to happen at this point. 

Drew gets the "young guy with upside" reputation boost in the QB battle, but the sad truth is that even in a poor year, Teddy was the better QB last season. So we're in a rough spot and just hopeful that Drew can step up his play at this point I guess lol. I hate being a cynic, but here we are again 

Edited by champ11

2 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

The passing on Fields was just a bad move. I like Surtain quite a bit but this team should have never passed on Justin. 

I think you're right on that pick and I find it interesting.  As if the team is preparing for a year down the road?  Will Blackmon (former Packer) has said he believes Rodgers will end up with the Saints and that's possible.  But if the Packers do not extend him (and both sides may already know the probability) I think the Broncos and Raiders the most likely destinations.

I'm finding all this pretty funny.

Paton's assembled one of the strongest, deepest rosters this teams ever had. A great combination of pro bowlers, solid vets and very talented youngsters, yet many/most here are counting this a wasted season because we didn't trade the farm for Aaron Rodgers.

I'm excited for the season while it seems almost everyone else is pretty bummed. Go figure.

37 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Paton's assembled one of the strongest, deepest rosters this teams ever had. A great combination of pro bowlers, solid vets and very talented youngsters, yet many/most here are counting this a wasted season because we didn't trade the farm for Aaron Rodgers.

I'm excited for the season while it seems almost everyone else is pretty bummed. Go figure.

QB play is pretty important to winning in the NFL. Pretty sure everyone will be ecstatic if we get average QB play and the rest of the roster can carry us to wins. Based on the reporting out of camp that feels like it is going to be a stretch. We will see. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

I know you are talking in general but I am not bummed and haven’t said any of those things. Just think Surtain was the wrong pick. I can still like what Paton has done in a nutshell and dislike the passing on Justin Fields just the same. 

It’s pretty clear that this team will be acquiring a QB next year. I’m not sure how much excitement you can expect a competition between Drew Lock and Teddy Bridgewater to create. It’s a lousy situation on an otherwise very good roster. 

I’m excited to watch this defense. And the young skill players, though that’s tougher to see bearing fruits between Checkdown Teddy and Lock’s woeful inaccuracy. 

• Like 1