What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

1 hour ago, champ11 said:

QB play is pretty important to winning in the NFL. Pretty sure everyone will be ecstatic if we get average QB play and the rest of the roster can carry us to wins. Based on the reporting out of camp that feels like it is going to be a stretch. We will see. 

You have to remember @AKRNA predicts Teddy to be an All Pro this year. So his position is biased by that presupposition.  

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

You have to remember @AKRNA predicts Teddy to be an All Pro this year. So his position is biased by that presupposition.  

personally, I think the Team makes the QB, not the other way around, hence my feelings about Teddy. 

The fact that insiders think both QBs will start multiple games is not indicative of success. Lock can’t stay healthy and can’t overcome turnovers and lack of production and Teddy is who he is, a journeyman, fringe starter who won’t flat out lose you games but won’t steal a win either. 

Neither one of those choices should inspire anyone. I respect where you’re coming from AKRNA but it’s a dated philosophy, while you don’t need an All-Pro QB to win the SB you do need the starter to be at least above average. 

• Like 5

The supposed reasoning for Paton passing on Fields is just blindness. Felt a duty to give Lock a real shot? Duty to who or what? Lock himself or Elways legacy? The fans? Most didn’t want him. It’s your job now your career is on the line. He didn’t have a duty to anyone. Not sure I’m buying that as I think he really thought he had a shot at Aaron.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

The supposed reasoning for Paton passing on Fields is just blindness. Felt a duty to give Lock a real shot? Duty to who or what? Lock himself or Elways legacy? The fans? Most didn’t want him. It’s your job now your career is on the line. He didn’t have a duty to anyone. Not sure I’m buying that as I think he really thought he had a shot at Aaron.

I agree with what he said franchise corners are harder to find. That said the qb position has been a culmination of things over years. The straw that breaks it from the fan base is missing out on fields and Rodgers.

I'm in the middle once we see preseason games we can see how bad or good this is. I'm optimistic going against a top 10 D's will help the QBs. I have hope bc there's not a throw or play Drew Lock can't make it's the hero ball and inconsistency that gets him in trouble.

The praise of the OC is promising and it's tbd. I just want football back sick of one position lol.

3 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I agree with what he said franchise corners are harder to find. That said the qb position has been a culmination of things over years. The straw that breaks it from the fan base is missing out on fields and Rodgers.

I'm in the middle once we see preseason games we can see how bad or good this is. I'm optimistic going against a top 10 D's will help the QBs. I have hope bc there's not a throw or play Drew Lock can't make it's the hero ball and inconsistency that gets him in trouble.

The praise of the OC is promising and it's tbd. I just want football back sick of one position lol.

Harder to find than what? Franchise QB!?

Obviously we'd like to see Drew grow and take the job outright but if the savy vet teddy b keeps that from happening I'm hoping next best thing teddy wins us some games and maybe maxes out the offense production under him. And Drew comes in and shows how much he learned to lead and manage the offense and Paton looks like a genius lol.

2 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Yes he's got a point the no debating thing is importance of a franchise qb though.

I disagree. Maybe it’s more difficult for this franchise. And we really don’t know if Surtain will be that. I personally think Horn has a better chance of being a franchise/shutdown corner while Surtain is “safer”. (Yes I know Horn went before we picked, just saying for comparison) Of course no one really knows what Fields will become either. 

Just now, Scoundrel said:

I disagree. Maybe it’s more difficult for this franchise. And we really don’t know if Surtain will be that. I personally think Horn has a better chance of being a franchise/shutdown corner while Surtain is “safer”. (Yes I know Horn went before we picked, just saying for comparison) Of course no one really knows what Fields will become either. 

I like horn and Surtains pedigree think the both will be studs also great scheme for him.

I agree on fields but I just disagree with your og premise a bird in the hand is worth more than two in the bush. I have a hard time believing Paton passed on Fields because he was sold he was getting Rodgers. Most gms play the long game unlike Elway I truly believe he either wasn't sold on Fields as enough of a sure thing upgrade over Lock. 

I have no problem with his decision if he's gonna call the shots I'd rather him go down with players he loved over fan pressure. 

There was a gag order from Paton to everyone with Surtain he was always the guy Elway could of never played it that cool. The whole league would of known.

1 hour ago, Scoundrel said:

OK, he passes on Field to give Lock a fair shot. If Lock does well, Paton looks smart, gives his team another sweet CB and we have a good QB. Paton wins.

If Lock fails, Paton is justified to fire Lock, gets to blame and fire Fangio and Lock (who he gave a fair shot to) then gets to hire HIS own coach, starts looking for HIS own QB , still has a sweet CB(which he drafted). Paton still wins. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

To me the takeaway is they were super locked in on Surtain. Paton worked with his dad and they are close. So they were very enamored with getting Surtain. Which is concerning, though, he has a great chance to be a stud.

Really I think the main takeaway - he wanted to give Fangio and staff a year before cleaning house. Didn't want to come in and hit an immediate reset. We can hypothesize on the reasoning, but it's clear to me that he wanted to give the current iteration of the organization a chance for better or worse. Fail this year and it's clean house time - coaching, QB, etc. Von Miller's last year under contract. Going to be seismic changes if this year is a bust. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Paton has spoken repeatedly about throwing darts in the draft - when you do have a starting calibre QB then that is where you should be throwing your darts.

Guess that depends on how good you are at throwing dart.....

9 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

I think they were confident they were going to land Aaron. Everything I’ve read seems to point to the fact that the Packers were ready to ship him out but got cold feet at the last minute. 

• Like 1