What to do at QB?

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

For whatever reason Teddy gives me major Kyle Orton vibes. Not in a bad way either. Hes just a solid QB who can make some plays and not completely kill your team every game.

If the Broncos Defense is as good as everybody says it is (2015 level) then I think it would be in the best interest of the team to start Teddy who you know gives you at least a high floor and can get the ball into playmakers hands with a bunch of 5-10 yard routes.

I have more faith in him being sort of like Peyton in 2014/2015 who can just keep the ship afloat on offense and at least let the playmakers do all the heavy lifting.

I think it might be better than the rollercoaster ride every week that is Drew Lock if we are serious about trying to win.

I agree with your take. Teddy's a good "point guard" for this offense. He can execute the offense, won't make critical mistakes and will get the ball to the right guy. With the overabundance of playmakers on this O that should be enough.

I think Drew is gonna surprise some people this year feel free to @thebestever6and I know you can say I said that last year but I really underestimated the pandemic, new offense,  losing Sutton, injury , mask bs. Stuff kept snowballing and Drew I liked the way he handled it off the field the whole season. But on it I was annoyed until the last 5 games.

I'm excited for today. 

Just had a look at the review of the Vikes game by Tim Jenkins - he showed Lock going through his progressions and viewed it as a significant step. While there are still issues he suggested that those are fixable in the tape room. He regarded Lock as significantly ahead of Teddy after the game. Here is hoping that Lock doesn't do what he always does and make a mess of his next outing. Jenkins suggested that the Seattle game will tell a lot about Lock's progress as he will be playing with the 2s and there will be more broken assignments and people going off script and Lock needs to be able to adjust in such circumstances.

As a aside - he was impressed by Fields (after dismissing him during the draft).

4 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

As a aside - he was impressed by Fields (after dismissing him during the draft).

Seriously, can you please stop that. It has absolutely no bearing or significance on a Bronco's forum. 

The "shoulda, coulda, woulda" doesn't really belong and can have no positive aspect for any discussion. 

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Seriously, can you please stop that. It has absolutely no bearing or significance on a Bronco's forum. 

The "shoulda, coulda, woulda" doesn't really belong and can have no positive aspect for any discussion. 

You’re right, we never rehash the draft or anything on this forum…

I get you don’t like the talk man and I understand why but you’re complaining about it is just as tedious as the reminiscing about guys we could’ve picked 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, broncofan48 said:

You’re right, we never rehash the draft or anything on this forum…

I get you don’t like the talk man and I understand why but you’re complaining about it is just as tedious as the reminiscing about guys we could’ve picked 

I apologize. Please, continue to flog dead horses as much as you want.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

I apologize. Please, continue to flog dead horses as much as you want.

That’s kinda what this thread is haha, the way I look at it, either Lock/Teddy do well and this thread does, or they don’t and this thread grows.

I totally understand not liking it constantly popping up in other threads but the title of this thread is literally about QB

• Like 1

I'm a Raider fan, but I view Teddy and Drew as both 8-10 wins on the year QBs. I think Drew is more volatile, and threatening, but Teddy is who he is and could steadily win games. I would be kinda scared if the Broncos rolled with Drew Lock, then inserted Teddy as a closer with the lead and Javonte and Gordon killing clock. Drew Lock gives the most options though and I'd put him in if I was losing for the extra range opening the playbook up. I'd trust Teddy with a lead more though. I think you guys have a good one in Rypien too, like not future starter but I think it's a good sign he's still on the team could see kim go the Kellen Mond/Gary Kubiak/Jason Garrett route and QB coach/OC after he's done -- like a budget Teddy in development that seems to be getting it. I think a Lock starter, Teddy closer with the lead would be pretty controversial, but I think it could work.

44 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

That’s kinda what this thread is haha, the way I look at it, either Lock/Teddy do well and this thread does, or they don’t and this thread grows.

I totally understand not liking it constantly popping up in other threads but the title of this thread is literally about QB

So, as far as "what to do at QB", well, we've already done it. I think I posted that a couple of months ago. We've now had 144 pages of speculation, very little of it about QB's on the roster. 

I'd say it's time for it to go now unless we think it should be a constantly running thread for ever.

A Lock vs Teddy would be fine. I just don't want to go an entire season listening to posts about what we should have done when we're watching the results of what we actually did. If last weekend was any indication we've got two QB's that can play quite well under Shurmers offense. An offense that looks a whole lot like a classic WCO offense. Kudo's to Shurmer for that. It's a very QB friendly O that Shurmer showed us last week. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it performs against Seattle.

I don't really care how Fields looks.

11 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I don't really care how Fields looks.

I get that you are annoyed that I mentioned Fields again - I'm p*ssed that we passed on Fields at 1.09. When you don't have a QB you cannot afford to pass up on the chance of getting one.

Now - PS2 will be a Broncos great - there is no doubt about that. However,, like Champ, he is unlikely to win a ring without a good QB. 

I think AAA might be right in his suggestion that Paton is working out of the Spielman playbook of taking the sure thing in the 1st round and hoping that a journeyman will come good at a later stage. It is a recipe for a solid playoff team, but unlikely to be one that will win the SB - and it will probably keep Paton in a job for many years to come.

Now I will happily eat humble pie if Lock comes good or Paton hits on a QB (anyone except Watson) - but if we spend the next 15 years being a wildcard team at best because we don't have a QB, while Fields has the Bears as contenders - I'll will continue to be p*ssed.

*** And by the way - I noticed that you ignored the rest of my post which is actually positive in relation to Lock. 

Edited by jolly red giant
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, champ11 said:

Drew winning the job this weekend is best case scenario. Pretty promising stuff 

Seriously, I don't think it'll make much difference. I really like the direction Shurmers taken the offense and the comfort level both seem to have with it. Run heavy WCO with some serious "big strike" capability. 

I'm really looking forward to Seattle. We should learn a lot.

The big strike capability is exactly why everyone should be rooting for Lock. Teddy can’t take advantage of these skill guys the way Drew can. Teddy wants to check it down even when the best read is an open guy 15+ yards downfield. Over time that’s losing QB play. Drew making a leap makes this offense explosive and gives the team a ceiling beyond “ball control defensive team”. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

The big strike capability is exactly why everyone should be rooting for Lock. Teddy can’t take advantage of these skill guys the way Drew can. Teddy wants to check it down even when the best read is an open guy 15+ yards downfield. Over time that’s losing QB play. Drew making a leap makes this offense explosive and gives the team a ceiling beyond “ball control defensive team”. 

Yeah, funny thing about that. Safe, underneath passes have a real bad habit of becoming dangerous pick 6's waiting to happen once defenses start jumping your routes. That's why I've never been a fan of check down style QB's. They rarely have long term success. 

• Like 1
On 8/20/2021 at 10:40 AM, jolly red giant said:

I get that you are annoyed that I mentioned Fields again - I'm p*ssed that we passed on Fields at 1.09. 

And we've heard it over a DOZEN times.....you can get therapy for that ....seriously. Just let it go or at least keep it to yourself, be courteous