What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

16 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

The big strike capability is exactly why everyone should be rooting for Lock. Teddy can’t take advantage of these skill guys the way Drew can. Teddy wants to check it down even when the best read is an open guy 15+ yards downfield. Over time that’s losing QB play. Drew making a leap makes this offense explosive and gives the team a ceiling beyond “ball control defensive team”. 

Watching replays of Teddy last weekend he seems to be breaking that impression. I was a bit surprised at his willingness to go downfield.

We'll learn a bunch more tonight.

16 hours ago, 1234567 said:

Yeah, funny thing about that. Safe, underneath passes have a real bad habit of becoming dangerous pick 6's waiting to happen once defenses start jumping your routes. That's why I've never been a fan of check down style QB's. They rarely have long term success. 

On top of that, it’s makes running the ball harder as defenses aren’t scared of the deep ball. From what I’ve heard and read. KJ Hamler has been one of the stars of camp, having a weak-armed, check down QB limits one of our more dangerous weapons.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

On top of that, it’s makes running the ball harder as defenses aren’t scared of the deep ball. From what I’ve heard and read. KJ Hamler has been one of the stars of camp, having a weak-armed, check down QB limits one of our more dangerous weapons.

True but Peyton couldn't throw further than 15 yards his last year.

But Peyton's brain isn't Teddys, obv

Edited by BullsandBroncos

5 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Watching replays of Teddy last weekend he seems to be breaking that impression. I was a bit surprised at his willingness to go downfield.

We'll learn a bunch more tonight.

Is he? He didnt take any shots downfield against the Vikings. And there were are a couple plays in that game where he turns down those opportunities to hit the checkdown. And they are clear opportunities with receivers surrounded by open space. Those are examples of when being safe is actually just bad QB play. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

The dump off to Saubert when he has Benson wide open is a particularly egregious one. Saubert gets some good YAC, but that’s not the point. Benson is clearly the guy to throw to and Teddy doesn’t want to do it. We gotta stop glorifying this kind of QB play as “smart”. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Klis just tweeted that he would be surprised if Teddy wasn't named starter.. fwiw.

13 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Did we really just pass on Justin Fields to start Teddy Keenum?

Before we even signed Teddy, I told everyone here if we go the veteran journeyman route he would win the job because Fangio/Shurmur would start the safe, reliable veteran and try to scrape out enough wins to save their jobs. 

To me, this mistake not only rests on the coaches but, more so, on George Paton. Here we have a GM with ties to both Teddy and Shurmur. A GM who has comes from a franchise that has consistently fielded a solid roster with a middling to mediocre QB. A GM who cut his teeth with a franchise that has never won a Super Bowl and who has not appeared in a Super Bowl since the 1970s. This is who we hired and these moves are exactly what we should expect. 

This team is likely to be about as exciting as the 2009 McDaniels-Orton team. And will likely be just as successful. Only difference is that Mac was better game day coach than Vic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Did we really just pass on Justin Fields to start Teddy Keenum?

Has Fields "lit it up" yet ?? For the next 3-5 years he could be the 2nd best QB in his division. 

Edited by Cutler06