What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

1 hour ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Got to watch part of the game in the airport last night. Man the coaches want teddy to win that job. 3 fourth downs in 2 drives just so you can prop him up? 

Sit most of the starters the week Drew “starts” and play them when Teddy “starts”

I noticed that as well. They pulled half the offensive starters (most notably his receivers) once they put Lock in last night. They didn’t do that to Teddy last week. 

Edited by 1234567

That was…not encouraging. Teddy did make two terrific throws but the TD drives don’t happen in real games because they punt and kick the FG on those 4th downs. They let Drew get hit by unblocked rushers two plays in a row and he just looked rattled the rest of the way. 

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Before we even signed Teddy, I told everyone here if we go the veteran journeyman route he would win the job because Fangio/Shurmur would start the safe, reliable veteran and try to scrape out enough wins to save their jobs. 

To me, this mistake not only rests on the coaches but, more so, on George Paton. Here we have a GM with ties to both Teddy and Shurmur. A GM who has comes from a franchise that has consistently fielded a solid roster with a middling to mediocre QB. A GM who cut his teeth with a franchise that has never won a Super Bowl and who has not appeared in a Super Bowl since the 1970s. This is who we hired and these moves are exactly what we should expect. 

This team is likely to be about as exciting as the 2009 McDaniels-Orton team. And will likely be just as successful. Only difference is that Mac was better game day coach than Vic. 

I hate how correct this is. These guys would rather eek out a 7-8 win season to save their jobs than take a risk for the best chance to win a title. In a real game setting, Teddy's stats from last night are 8/10 for 70 yards and 2 field goals. Which is exactly what we're going to get from him in the regular season. 

I miss Mike Shanahan.. He had his faults, and I know the game would have eventually passed him by. But that man benched his starting QB with a 7-4 record in favor of a rookie because he knew he couldn't win a Superbowl with Plummer. 10-6 wasn't gonna be good enough. The AFCCG the season before wasn't good enough. The only thing that mattered to him were championships. And it's not a coincidence that the last time we won one was when Kubs (one of his protégés) was at the helm.  

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

I hate how correct this is. These guys would rather eek out a 7-8 win season to save their jobs than take a risk for the best chance to win a title. In a real game setting, Teddy's stats from last night are 8/10 for 70 yards and 2 field goals. Which is exactly what we're going to get from him in the regular season. 

I miss Mike Shanahan.. He had his faults, and I know the game would have eventually passed him by. But that man benched his starting QB with a 7-4 record in favor of a rookie because he knew he couldn't win a Superbowl with Plummer. 10-6 wasn't gonna be good enough. The AFCCG the season before wasn't good enough. The only thing that mattered to him were championships. And it's not a coincidence that the last time we won one was when Kubs (one of his protégés) was at the helm.  

So I will say first and foremost ... NFL teams make it hard to truly know what the vision is. The pressers are terrible. They don't give us much to work with. And I will say Vic Fangio has to be one of the worst interviews in Denver sports history as just a side note lol. So we all kind of have to interpret in our own way.

My thing ... I'm 100% understanding of Paton coming in and not wanting to clean house right away. I don't mind a kind of holding pattern year of sorts to see what we have a give the coaching staff a chance to win. And I'd hope that a 7-10 win season wouldn't necessarily save Fangio's job if Paton thought we could upgrade.

My concern would be - if Drew was good enough (or close) to start - for the health of the franchise it would make sense to start the young guy and see what we have. See if he can make a leap. And if that is what the FO wants, but the HC is going with the more reliable vet to win games to save his lame duck job ... that's just BAD process and bad organizational synergy. That's the dysfunction BS we've been dealing with for years at this point. Is this going on, though? I have no idea. Tough to read. Pretty much a guess.

I will say ... all these theories may just be moot. Drew was the worst QB in football through his 20 starts. Teddy had a poor season last year and was still just statistically better. So honestly if the coaching staff really thinks Teddy is the guy, I'm just gonna roll with it. It would be very concerning if Paton believed Drew was the best option for the franchise and Vic was putting the vet out there to get wins

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 1234567 said:

Cheers to this post. This franchise has fallen so far from when Mr. B was firmly in command. The bandaid that Peyton provided was almost a mirage, it came together just perfectly and for a time masked the serious, deep flaws this organization has had since Mr. B got sick and gave Ellis more power, which is subsequently used to force out the most powerful person in the org (Mike) and replace him with Mac who, as reported, was young and thus Ellis thought, easier to control and then in reality Mac proved to be the bull in the China shop, just completely the opposite. 

Here’s something to chew on regarding what you said about Mike and Gary. In one form or another, Mike was a part of 5 of our 8 Super Bowl appearances, and two of the three wins and Gary was part of 6 of the 8 and all 3 wins. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Before we even signed Teddy, I told everyone here if we go the veteran journeyman route he would win the job because Fangio/Shurmur would start the safe, reliable veteran and try to scrape out enough wins to save their jobs. 

To me, this mistake not only rests on the coaches but, more so, on George Paton. Here we have a GM with ties to both Teddy and Shurmur. A GM who has comes from a franchise that has consistently fielded a solid roster with a middling to mediocre QB. A GM who cut his teeth with a franchise that has never won a Super Bowl and who has not appeared in a Super Bowl since the 1970s. This is who we hired and these moves are exactly what we should expect. 

This team is likely to be about as exciting as the 2009 McDaniels-Orton team. And will likely be just as successful. Only difference is that Mac was better game day coach than Vic. 

That's who Teddy reminds me of exactly, Kyle Orton. This team in 2021 is about to be the 2008 Denver Broncos

8 hours ago, Orangecrush151 said:

As well as the fields hype is funny. He was what 9-19 for 80 yards yesterday????

The hype isnt going to be funny when he turns in a great rookie season and the Broncos are sitting here debating which QB prospect to spend 3 1sts on trading up to get in April next year.

Scared drafting doesnt make money and the Broncos have been a scared drafting team for a decade.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

That's who Teddy reminds me of exactly, Kyle Orton. This team in 2021 is about to be the 2008 Denver Broncos

As a player. I do want it on the record the KO was not in many ways a good teammate, a real professional or a decent person. Teddy is, by universal account, all of those things in spades. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

As a player. I do want it on the record the KO was not in many ways a good teammate, a real professional or a decent person. Teddy is, by universal account, all of those things in spades. 

Thats fair, but on the field, hes Kyle Orton-esq. High floor, low ceiling. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Do you mean the 2009 Broncos?

That's a bad comparison. That team was devoid of defensive talent, despite starting the season in incredible fashion. It all went soooooo bad the last 10 games or so which was a reflection of the talent level.

I think the 2016 Broncos is fair. We still had remnants of that amazing SB defense, but it wasn't as good. Plus, Siemian flashed but ultimately showed he wasn't good enough which is likely what we will see this year.

• Like 1

I been impressed by Lock I will say this if you roll with Lock his leash should be a decent length to keep his confidence.  So if they're not gonna give him a longer one I have no problem rolling with Teddy.  Let Lock get the mental reps and when the team reaches their ceiling with Teddy you can make the move.

I will say this though Lock has given Teddy B all he can handle in this competition so that's very pleasant. I believe the coaching staff was leaning Teddy from jump street so the question becomes did Lock do enough to close the gap? I'd say probably not September you wanna stack up wins and having the less violitile offense probably sets that up better along with building team chemistry as a whole. Bc let's face it the teams going to have to rise up around Teddy B. Thay may not happen with Lock because Lock is capable of so many bigger things teammates may get used to his big play ability. 

Steady Teddy is probably the bet for the first quarter,  but I truly believe we'll see a ton of Drew this year. 

They're both going to play this tear in some form or fashion. Although I don't particularly care at this point who the starter is, I'd like to see Lock so we at least know what we have. We keep getting bits and pieces but never the full thing.

That said, I suspect there's probably some behind the scenes stuff with Lock holding him back. I don't mean personal, and I have no evidence to support it, but just of feels like maybe he's not comfortable with playcalling or the playbook or something. I don't know. A lot of the comments we hear about Teddy seem to be more about his mental processing of the game- maybe a signal as to what's holding Drew back?

• Like 1