What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

After reading some of the articles out there on Bleacher Report and it looks like Teddy is going to get the nod.  If that becomes a reality this week, I think the Broncos really need to give up on the Lock experiment and really look to Teddy to be a bridge to the long-term solution as QB.   

17 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

That was…not encouraging. Teddy did make two terrific throws but the TD drives don’t happen in real games because they punt and kick the FG on those 4th downs. They let Drew get hit by unblocked rushers two plays in a row and he just looked rattled the rest of the way. 

The previous week, however, didn't Teddy play with similar players to Lock this week? 

1 hour ago, jsthomp2007 said:

After reading some of the articles out there on Bleacher Report and it looks like Teddy is going to get the nod.  If that becomes a reality this week, I think the Broncos really need to give up on the Lock experiment and really look to Teddy to be a bridge to the long-term solution as QB.   

This is absolutely what I think we should do. Like I said in the other thread, why would be continue to "see what we have" with Broncos Flacco aka Drew? He's still the same Drew that has always been there.

When the pressure is on, he still doesn't go through reads and throws off his back foot. He's still got accuracy issues and though he can scramble at times, it rarely leads to anything good. That little dart he through after the scramble last game is exactly why he gets so many interceptions.. He's just lucky that one was against 2nd and 3rd string guys. 

Again, at least Teddy will give Fant and Albert O great seasons along with our run game and mostly defense keeping us in games. Our defense doesn't do crap if we throw interceptions and start em on our 30. This QB thing absolutely needs to get ACTUALLY addressed by the new owner

Edited by Dbrog24

5 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I been impressed by Lock I will say this if you roll with Lock his leash should be a decent length to keep his confidence.  So if they're not gonna give him a longer one I have no problem rolling with Teddy.  Let Lock get the mental reps and when the team reaches their ceiling with Teddy you can make the move.

I will say this though Lock has given Teddy B all he can handle in this competition so that's very pleasant. I believe the coaching staff was leaning Teddy from jump street so the question becomes did Lock do enough to close the gap? I'd say probably not September you wanna stack up wins and having the less violitile offense probably sets that up better along with building team chemistry as a whole. Bc let's face it the teams going to have to rise up around Teddy B. Thay may not happen with Lock because Lock is capable of so many bigger things teammates may get used to his big play ability. 

Steady Teddy is probably the bet for the first quarter,  but I truly believe we'll see a ton of Drew this year. 

If a starting QB in the NFL needs to be treated with kid gloves so his confidence doesn't get shredded, he shouldn't be a starting QB in the NFL. I actually think Drew is a pretty confident guy- by all accounts that seems to be the case. But this idea that performance doesn't really matter so we don't shake his confidence is ridiculous.

At the end of the day, let's not forget, Lock was a 2nd round pick. We didn't expend some ridiculous amount of draft capital to get him. He represented good value, and we took a flier on him. If it doesn't work out, go get a new HC/OC/QB next year and let's move forward.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

This is absolutely what I think we should do. Like I said in the other thread, why would be continue to "see what we have" with Broncos Flacco aka Drew? He's still the same Drew that has always been there.

When the pressure is on, he still doesn't go through reads and throws off his back foot. He's still got accuracy issues and though he can scramble at times, it rarely leads to anything good. That little dart he through after the scramble last game is exactly why he gets so many interceptions.. He's just lucky that one was against 2nd and 3rd string guys. 

Again, at least Teddy will give Fant and Albert O great seasons along with our run game and mostly defense keeping us in games. Our defense doesn't do crap if we throw interceptions and start em on our 30. This QB thing absolutely needs to get ACTUALLY addressed by the new owner

Well...and I think this too, Jeudy is going to make Teddy better.  At least Teddy can get the ball to the open guy, and by all accounts it seems like Jeudy is always open. 

Also, I like what I see from Teddy in the redzone...the one throw at the corner of the endzone to Benson was brilliant. 

Alas, I also dont think Teddy is the long-term solution. He might be the 1-2 year solution. I'd like to see the Broncos draft, maybe, two QBs next year.  The Broncos are pretty set everywhere else, so why not line up a #1 pick at QB, and maybe a 3/4 rounder that can sit behind Bridgewater a few seasons?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Do you mean the 2009 Broncos?

That's a bad comparison. That team was devoid of defensive talent, despite starting the season in incredible fashion. It all went soooooo bad the last 10 games or so which was a reflection of the talent level.

I think the 2016 Broncos is fair. We still had remnants of that amazing SB defense, but it wasn't as good. Plus, Siemian flashed but ultimately showed he wasn't good enough which is likely what we will see this year.

shoot me

"We didnt draft one of the 5 franchise QBs in the deepest QB class of all time because we really wanted to give Drew Lock a fair shot to become the starting QB"

***names Teddy Bridgewater the starter after 2 preseason games***

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, 1234567 said:

I hate how correct this is. These guys would rather eek out a 7-8 win season to save their jobs than take a risk for the best chance to win a title. In a real game setting, Teddy's stats from last night are 8/10 for 70 yards and 2 field goals. Which is exactly what we're going to get from him in the regular season. 

I miss Mike Shanahan.. He had his faults, and I know the game would have eventually passed him by. But that man benched his starting QB with a 7-4 record in favor of a rookie because he knew he couldn't win a Superbowl with Plummer. 10-6 wasn't gonna be good enough. The AFCCG the season before wasn't good enough. The only thing that mattered to him were championships. And it's not a coincidence that the last time we won one was when Kubs (one of his protégés) was at the helm.  

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Nailed it.

I also heard (from reports) that the playcalling when Lock came in wasnt great. He succeeded and looked great in week 1 because they called 1) Play Action and 2) Shots down field. Thats what he does well. From what I read when Lock came in against the Seahawks, there was no PA and there were no shots downfield. What are you doing Shurmer. It honestly sounds like the coaching staff wants to sabbotage Lock by calling plays they know he doesnt do well with so that they have more reason to start Teddy and save their jobs with a .500 season.

200.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Well...and I think this too, Jeudy is going to make Teddy better.  At least Teddy can get the ball to the open guy, and by all accounts it seems like Jeudy is always open. 

Also, I like what I see from Teddy in the redzone...the one throw at the corner of the endzone to Benson was brilliant. 

Alas, I also dont think Teddy is the long-term solution. He might be the 1-2 year solution. I'd like to see the Broncos draft, maybe, two QBs next year.  The Broncos are pretty set everywhere else, so why not line up a #1 pick at QB, and maybe a 3/4 rounder that can sit behind Bridgewater a few seasons?

My mom's legs are always open can I call her Jerry jeudy?

32 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Nailed it.

I also heard (from reports) that the playcalling when Lock came in wasnt great. He succeeded and looked great in week 1 because they called 1) Play Action and 2) Shots down field. Thats what he does well. From what I read when Lock came in against the Seahawks, there was no PA and there were no shots downfield. What are you doing Shurmer. It honestly sounds like the coaching staff wants to sabbotage Lock by calling plays they know he doesnt do well with so that they have more reason to start Teddy and save their jobs with a .500 season.

200.gif

broncos twitter going full Qanon on this stuff, but i appreciate that for the most part that doesn't seep into here lol 

41 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

shoot me

"We didnt draft one of the 5 franchise QBs in the deepest QB class of all time because we really wanted to give Drew Lock a fair shot to become the starting QB"

***names Teddy Bridgewater the starter after 2 preseason games***

I don't necessarily disagree. I've stated many, many times my thoughts on Drew and I don't think he's the answer.

I just can't be bothered going backwards and forwards about the QB's we passed on. That is simply because I don't know anything about College football, and thus don't know anything about the QB's we passed on.

If Fields and Jones pan out, we know that we've got 15 years of Bronco fan displeasure on the way (providing we don't find our own franchise QB in the mean time). But for now, you don't actually know that this is the deepest QB class of all time; you don't even know if it's the best of the last 5 years.

With the calibre of Defense we have, I just think Teddy is going to be given the starting job. We will lose the dressing room if the guy who doesn't give us the best chance to win isn't starting at QB, and from all accounts, the Coaching staff feel Teddy is that guy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, broncos67 said:

The previous week, however, didn't Teddy play with similar players to Lock this week? 

Basically the same lineup. They weren’t letting unlocked rushers hit Teddy though. And the Seahawks lineup Drew faced in the first half was a mix of 1st and 2nd team guys. Teddy faced a mix of 2nd and 3rd team guys against Minnesota. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

20 hours ago, champ11 said:

So I will say first and foremost ... NFL teams make it hard to truly know what the vision is. The pressers are terrible. They don't give us much to work with. And I will say Vic Fangio has to be one of the worst interviews in Denver sports history as just a side note lol. So we all kind of have to interpret in our own way.

My thing ... I'm 100% understanding of Paton coming in and not wanting to clean house right away. I don't mind a kind of holding pattern year of sorts to see what we have a give the coaching staff a chance to win. And I'd hope that a 7-10 win season wouldn't necessarily save Fangio's job if Paton thought we could upgrade.

My concern would be - if Drew was good enough (or close) to start - for the health of the franchise it would make sense to start the young guy and see what we have. See if he can make a leap. And if that is what the FO wants, but the HC is going with the more reliable vet to win games to save his lame duck job ... that's just BAD process and bad organizational synergy. That's the dysfunction BS we've been dealing with for years at this point. Is this going on, though? I have no idea. Tough to read. Pretty much a guess.

I will say ... all these theories may just be moot. Drew was the worst QB in football through his 20 starts. Teddy had a poor season last year and was still just statistically better. So honestly if the coaching staff really thinks Teddy is the guy, I'm just gonna roll with it. It would be very concerning if Paton believed Drew was the best option for the franchise and Vic was putting the vet out there to get wins

I like this post a lot. We’ve known for many months that this season was gonna be an evaluation year for Paton basically across the board. Let’s also remember that the org is probably looking to remain interesting for guys like Rodgers and Watson next spring, and a steady 9-10 win season with Theodore Q. Bridgewater might keep us more appealing than an up-and-down show from Lock. 

I get the feels of bad org synergy when the GM’s goals don’t really line up with the coaching staff’s. It’s certainly why most GM’s start fresh from day one. But this is really only an issue for fans that think we’re missing out on Drew Lock’s breakout season. And that couldn’t be me. 45 SEC starts, 18 NFL starts, and there’s still no way to know if he can even be a *below-average* NFL QB?? 

If Lock wins the job, cool. I hope I’m wrong and he turns into The Guy. But there’s no way I’d prioritize his development at this point over evaluating the rest of the org. It’s sink-or-swim time, win the job or take a hike.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I like this post a lot. We’ve known for many months that this season was gonna be an evaluation year for Paton basically across the board. Let’s also remember that the org is probably looking to remain interesting for guys like Rodgers and Watson next spring, and a steady 9-10 win season with Theodore Q. Bridgewater might keep us more appealing than an up-and-down show from Lock. 

I get the feels of bad org synergy when the GM’s goals don’t really line up with the coaching staff’s. It’s certainly why most GM’s start fresh from day one. But this is really only an issue for fans that think we’re missing out on Drew Lock’s breakout season. And that couldn’t be me. 45 SEC starts, 18 NFL starts, and there’s still no way to know if he can even be a *below-average* NFL QB?? 

If Lock wins the job, cool. I hope I’m wrong and he turns into The Guy. But there’s no way I’d prioritize his development at this point over evaluating the rest of the org. It’s sink-or-swim time, win the job or take a hike.

Its a rough combination of a GM who didnt want to tie himself to a 1st round QB his first year on the job and a coaching staff that are coaching for their jobs past this season.

I dont think either truly has the best interest of the team in mind. The only thing both the GM/coaches care about it not having it crash and burn and it is also clear that neither of them are on the same page. Hard to win and become a stable franchise when it seems like the communication between FO and Coaches is non existant. 

Until then, Fangio/Shurmer are just lame ducks sitting there waiting to be fired. If they think Teddy Bridgewater is going to save them? whoof, whats their plan after this season IF the Broncos go 8 wins? 

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I think you're on the money. Rather than spend an entire season stressing over QB they brought in a reliable vet to compete, then concentrated on the rest of the roster. 

We were pretty awful last year on both sides of the ball, right near the bottom of the NFL. The upgrade in talent this year is amazing. I'm not paying a lot of attention right now, box scores and such, but just the point differential would suggest we're really a deep team, something that will pay big dividends in a 17 game season.

We won't have the best starting 22 in the NFL, but we may have the strongest 53.