What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Anyone know who the top QB prospects are for the 2022 draft? It’d be nice to know the names of the guys Paton will pass over so I don’t spend the fall watching college games and getting excited over some QB prospect. 

Well here's the thing....next year's QB class as of right now is considered to be pretty bad. Sam Howell from NC and Spencer Rattler from OU are pretty much it in regards to potential top 5-10 guys.

The problem is Rattler is only there because of what he's projected to do this upcoming season, not because of anything he's actually accomplished as a Freshman/Sophomore.

To put that also in perspective, Howell would have likely been QB5 if he came out in last year's class behind Jones, Fields, Lawrence and Lance.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Anyone know who the top QB prospects are for the 2022 draft? It’d be nice to know the names of the guys Paton will pass over so I don’t spend the fall watching college games and getting excited over some QB prospect. 

I am gonna go Carson Strong from Nevada

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I don't necessarily disagree. I've stated many, many times my thoughts on Drew and I don't think he's the answer.

I just can't be bothered going backwards and forwards about the QB's we passed on. That is simply because I don't know anything about College football, and thus don't know anything about the QB's we passed on.

If Fields and Jones pan out, we know that we've got 15 years of Bronco fan displeasure on the way (providing we don't find our own franchise QB in the mean time). But for now, you don't actually know that this is the deepest QB class of all time; you don't even know if it's the best of the last 5 years.

With the calibre of Defense we have, I just think Teddy is going to be given the starting job. We will lose the dressing room if the guy who doesn't give us the best chance to win isn't starting at QB, and from all accounts, the Coaching staff feel Teddy is that guy.

I concur with this sentiment, first, we didn't really have a shot at the two "surest" QB bets in this draft, Jones didn't "fit: Shurmer's  offense and while I too think Fields would've worked well here, this "Franchise QB" stuff seems premature as Fields will be running for his life behind that CHI Oline for a few years IMO. 

As for the coaching staff thinking that Teddy gives them the best shot to win, to me it feels like the coaching staff feelis like Teddy gives them the best chance at keeping their jobs. 

Also, this season has a lot of feeling like Paton saying" prove it or don't let the door hit you on the way out" to me, feels like he's gonna put the blame on Vic, Lock, etc and just bring in his new regime and give himself a strong defense for a coaching staff he gets to choose, then could go all out to bring in a veteran QB and then claim some glory for himself. 

Edited by Cutler06

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

We won't have the best starting 22 in the NFL, but we may have the strongest 53. 

I don’t think we’re strong enough in the trenches to compete for this title just yet. I do think that when comparing spots 2-thru-53 on the roster, we’re certainly a playoff caliber team. But the margin for error is nil when there’s a question mark at Spot #1. 

5 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Well here's the thing....next year's QB class as of right now is considered to be pretty bad. Sam Howell from NC and Spencer Rattler from OU are pretty much it in regards to potential top 5-10 guys.

The problem is Rattler is only there because of what he's projected to do this upcoming season, not because of anything he's actually accomplished as a Freshman/Sophomore.

To put that also in perspective, Howell would have likely been QB5 if he came out in last year's class behind Jones, Fields, Lawrence and Lance.

Well, hard to quantify that, based on his previous years production Joe Burrows was projected as a 2-3rd rounder and just blew up in 2019 to become the #1 overall pick. Lance only had ONE good season at D-II school but showed out enough to be the franchise QB for the 49ers. Unless you have a crystal ball I can borrow, no one really know. 

Edited by Cutler06
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Malik Willis is someone with Michael Vick type tools who would be interesting to keep an eye on, but again is only due to projection and not anything he has done. Super careless with the football (15 fumbles last year) and has really rough mechanics and plays for Liberty but has a super strong arm and is a fantastic runner. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

I concur with this sentiment, first, we didn't really have a shot at the two "surest" QB bets in this draft, Jones didn't "fit: Shurmer's  offense and while I too think Fields would've worked well here, this "Franchise QB" stuff seems premature as Fields will be running for his life behind that CHI Oline for a few years IMO. 

As for the coaching staff thinking that Teddy gives them the best shot to win, to me it feels like the coaching staff feelis like Teddy gives them the best chance at keeping their jobs. 

Also, this season has a lot of feeling like Paton saying" prove it or don't let the door hit you on the way out" to me, feels like he's gonna put the blame on Vic, Lock, etc and just bring in his new regime and give himself a strong defense for a coaching staff he gets to choose, then could go all out to bring in a veteran QB and then claim some glory for himself. 

Sounds to me like bringing in future Hall of Famer Kirk Cousins! It all makes sense.

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

4 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Ahhhh, the Shanahan connection, I like it....still a better QB than Two-yrd Teddy 

Just watched some PFF video and they pointed out that Teddy could be the guy because Paton drafted him in MIN. They made it sound like that was going to be the deciding factor if its 50/50 because Paton doesnt have any ties to Lock.

I just dont know what you do after this year because even if Teddy starts, the Broncos go 8-9 wins and look decent, you still cant go into next year with him. So if we are recognizing that a team with Teddy (who has never thrown over 14 TDs in a single season in his career) caps this team at 8-9 wins AND he wont be the starter next year---then whats the point in picking him.

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Just watched some PFF video and they pointed out that Teddy could be the guy because Paton drafted him in MIN. They made it sound like that was going to be the deciding factor if its 50/50 because Paton doesnt have any ties to Lock.

I just dont know what you do after this year because even if Teddy starts, the Broncos go 8-9 wins and look decent, you still cant go into next year with him. So if we are recognizing that a team with Teddy (who has never thrown over 14 TDs in a single season in his career) caps this team at 8-9 wins AND he wont be the starter next year---then whats the point in picking him.

You're reasoning escapes me. 

So far, through two games Teddy is 16 of 19, 180 yds, 2 TD's, 9.5 YPA, no INT's or sacks and an 84% completion %. Lowest rating is a 136.

Now, he can't sustain that but if he's even close we have no QB problem. Why exactly do you feel he's just chopped liver, can't win games, and is borderline NFL talent? Seriously, I just don't get it. 

Teddy isn’t awful. He’s just your run-of-the-mill game manager QB who is really the perfect backup and only your starter if something bad happens. In this case, the bad was Drew not breaking out. 

There’s a lower tier of starter quality QBs who are better than a lot of the young guys teams play, so in some years they’ll find starting jobs and in some years they don’t. Bridgewater is on the better end of that spectrum than, say, Case Keenum. Closer to what Dalton was when Cincy was a consistent playoff team. Competent but limited. 

7 hours ago, AKRNA said:

You're reasoning escapes me. 

So far, through two games Teddy is 16 of 19, 180 yds, 2 TD's, 9.5 YPA, no INT's or sacks and an 84% completion %. Lowest rating is a 136.

Now, he can't sustain that but if he's even close we have no QB problem. Why exactly do you feel he's just chopped liver, can't win games, and is borderline NFL talent? Seriously, I just don't get it. 

Im basically asking what is the point of starting a guy who you know doesnt have a high enough ceiling to make real noise. Your going up against Pat Mahomes and Justin Herbert, your going into battle against them with Teddy Bridgewater who has never thrown 15 TDs in a season before? So if you know Teddy (at best) leads you to a respectable season of 8-9 wins, why choose him especially when you know there is no way he can be your starter again next year.

I would like to think that Lock has to be the guy simply because he still has upside to unlock and if he unlocks it, you wont have to draft a QB in the 1st next year.

• Like 2