What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

Teddy won this job the moment we passed on Fields. This team is too talented to trot out a guy like Lock and hope he figures it out. Teddy is going to give us the best QB play we have seen since PFM, which isnt saying much but is saying something. 

The way he climbed that pocket the last PS game is something we have been missing for like 5 years. 

Surtain is going to be elite but we never should have passed on a QB. But thats the past, put out the guy that gives us the best chance to win. Lock wasnt every anything more than Chad Kelly without the mental issues, I would actually argue he is less physically talented than Kelly. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Everyone needs to relax a bit and a Browns fan should not be the person trying to get our fanbase riled up. 

If you cannot milk the bone, then you cannot eat the dog.  We got Teddy who will be just fine for one year. 

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

No one here is an apologist for any of those people, but I am personally thrilled you've written off Paton already. All those years of complaining for better personnel, then we go hire one of the most respected/sought after personnel guys and you're mad. It's incredible. Interesting you didn't include Elway, btw.

The end game is gonna be what it always was. The thought seems to be that Drew Lock needed to be pushed to earn the job after a below average 2020 season. They brought in actual competition (not Jeff Driskel and Brett Rypien) and Lock didn't win. That's how it goes. As I've said the entire time, I think the Broncos end with roughly the same record between Teddy and Lock. I don't think either of them are the answer.

If everything falls flat, fine, fire the whole coaching staff and let Paton build the team in the image he wants. That's typically what happens with a GM. 

I don’t think either are the answer as well.  

What concerns me is from what I’ve gathered on social media it doesn’t seem like Teddy won.  Many in the media thought Lock and performed Teddy.  Allbright said from players he had spoken with that they thought Lock won the battle.

As UK stated watching the last preseason game, it is as if the staff was going out of its way to make sure Teddy won the job.  It didn’t even work and yet they still named him starter.

That’s what’s concerning.

5 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I don’t think either are the answer as well.  

What concerns me is from what I’ve gathered on social media it doesn’t seem like Teddy won.  Many in the media thought Lock and performed Teddy.  Allbright said from players he had spoken with that they thought Lock won the battle.

As UK stated watching the last preseason game, it is as if the staff was going out of its way to make sure Teddy won the job.  It didn’t even work and yet they still named him starter.

That’s what’s concerning.

If the players were more behind Lock that is concerning. I gotta believe the coaching staff would read the room and put the guy out there that the team is gonna support, though. 

As far as evaluation from the media goes. Are there really any guys that you respect their opinions enough or think they have enough information to make that sort of statement on who was better? It's been pretty clear through reporting that the battle was close. 

For what it's worth - a guy that probably still has some contacts on the team - 

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

No one here is an apologist for any of those people, but I am personally thrilled you've written off Paton already. All those years of complaining for better personnel, then we go hire one of the most respected/sought after personnel guys and you're mad. It's incredible. Interesting you didn't include Elway, btw.

The end game is gonna be what it always was. The thought seems to be that Drew Lock needed to be pushed to earn the job after a below average 2020 season. They brought in actual competition (not Jeff Driskel and Brett Rypien) and Lock didn't win. That's how it goes. As I've said the entire time, I think the Broncos end with roughly the same record between Teddy and Lock. I don't think either of them are the answer.

If everything falls flat, fine, fire the whole coaching staff and let Paton build the team in the image he wants. That's typically what happens with a GM. 

Paton apologist is absolutely wild considering a game hasn't been played yet lol. And yeah, Elway, the main culprit of the last 6 years of dysfunction, is nowhere to be seen there.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, champ11 said:

If the players were more behind Lock that is concerning. I gotta believe the coaching staff would read the room and put the guy out there that the team is gonna support, though. 

As far as evaluation from the media goes. Are there really any guys that you respect their opinions enough or think they have enough information to make that sort of statement on who was better? It's been pretty clear through reporting that the battle was close. 

For what it's worth - a guy that probably still has some contacts on the team - 

I honestly don’t care either way.  I don’t think either is the future.  So I don’t think Teddy is the QB this team needs and I don’t think it’s Lock either.

It just has the feel that this wasn’t truly a competition.  When they added Teddy should’ve just stated he was the starter and it would take him completely imploding or Lock playing SIGNIFICANTLY better than him to get the job.

As for the media, it’s all I really have to go on.  From them it seemed no one separated themselves, but overall Lock was the slightly more productive player throughout camp.  

It’s more of a spirit of competition thing for me, which really doesn’t matter.  

8 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I honestly don’t care either way.  I don’t think either is the future.  So I don’t think Teddy is the QB this team needs and I don’t think it’s Lock either.

It just has the feel that this wasn’t truly a competition.  When they added Teddy should’ve just stated he was the starter and it would take him completely imploding or Lock playing SIGNIFICANTLY better than him to get the job.

As for the media, it’s all I really have to go on.  From them it seemed no one separated themselves, but overall Lock was the slightly more productive player throughout camp.  

It’s more of a spirit of competition thing for me, which really doesn’t matter.  

I guess to me I just don’t buy that. I think it’s the pro Drew bias at work from people. Hard for me to believe that they don’t just want the best player out there. 

6 hours ago, champ11 said:

I actually think the opposite. The majority of the fanbase wants Lock. So if Teddy plays poorly / we lose games the noise is going to be insane. If Teddy wins and plays well those first few I would expect everyone to get on board pretty quickly

In the above scenario it’s not about the majority so much as the loudest voices.

There are great points and arguments being made from multiple angles. SMH @ those with heavy emotions.

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

This is the BS mindset Im talking about. You have to try, you have to swing the bat or else you will never hit a homerun. Who knows if Fields/Jones are going to be franchise QBs, however, I do know that Teddy Bridgewater will not be one.

I also know that Fields/Jones were twice the level of QB prospects coming out in the draft than either Lock/Teddy were so the chance of the former succeeding compared to the latter I feel pretty good about.

The Broncos have not drafted a QB in the top 10 of the draft since 1979! Nineteen Seventy Nine!! Over 40 years.

This is literally insane. You’re saying you’d rather have a complete bust of a QB than an all-pro CB.

• Like 2

Just now, broncosfan_101 said:

This is literally insane. You’re saying you’d rather have a complete bust of a QB than an all-pro CB.

Who is a bust? Justin Fields? Mac Jones? They havent played a game yet.

My point is you have to take the chance on them being franchise QBs. No prospect is guaranteed, but that cannot deter you from trying to draft them and helping them reach their potential. 

You miss 100% of the shots you dont take, and the Broncos have taken 1 legit shot since Elway retired (Cutler). Since then its been a revolving door of retread .500 level garbage.

I will also say, a franchise QB for your team is more important than a HOF CB. If the Broncos cared as much about drafting a franchise QB as they do stockpiling DBs, then the future would look a lot brighter.

7 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Who is a bust? Justin Fields? Mac Jones? They havent played a game yet.

My point is you have to take the chance on them being franchise QBs. No prospect is guaranteed, but that cannot deter you from trying to draft them and helping them reach their potential. 

You miss 100% of the shots you dont take, and the Broncos have taken 1 legit shot since Elway retired (Cutler). Since then its been a revolving door of retread .500 level garbage.

I will also say, a franchise QB for your team is more important than a HOF CB. If the Broncos cared as much about drafting a franchise QB as they do stockpiling DBs, then the future would look a lot brighter.

Why would you “take a shot” on a QB that you think is gonna bust? That makes no sense. Was Paxton Lynch a good pick? Certainly better than taking Kenny Clark, Xavien Howard, or Chris Jones, right?