What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

23 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

I'd be interested to see which quote of mine (in any thread) that has led you to believe I have a strong opinion on the matter. I really don't. It's barely even 55/45 in my mind.

Honestly I’ve been so busy the last 18 or so months that I don’t know what anyone’s opinion is. Was just using your words mate. 😂I answered and literally copy and pasted what you had typed. 

People are correct in saying Jeudy will probably have a great year - his route running and timing are perfect for the type of QB that Teddy is. Fant and Williams will also likely have a big year from checkdown Teddy. On the flip side - Hamler, Sutton and Patrick will probably be wasted.

4 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

People are correct in saying Jeudy will probably have a great year - his route running and timing are perfect for the type of QB that Teddy is. Fant and Williams will also likely have a big year from checkdown Teddy. On the flip side - Hamler, Sutton and Patrick will probably be wasted.

Probably not

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Could be right about Hamler, Teddy just can't throw that far but I don't see why he'd have a big negative on Sutton and Patrick's production. 

18 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

That’s excellent analysis and I eat up that kind of stuff. 

That being said, I always come back to the tried and true “eyeball test.” Maybe it’s that I’ve watched so much football for so long at so many levels - from 2A high school to the NFL -  that I just trust my gut.

What I see in the NFL is a league the consistently and steadily is progressing towards QB play being the deciding factor. Who were the “final four” QBs last year - Brady, Rodgers, Maholmes and Allen - that’s 3 first-ballot HOFers and last years MVP runner-up who enters this year as one the league’s top-5 QBs. 

Sure, we will probably win more games this year than last. That’s good. But Mr. B used to say that any season that we don’t win the Super Bowl is a disappointment. This year, Joe Ellis and George Paton said the goal is to play meaningful football in November and December. That’s what Paton’s teams have always done. Mr. B’s teams contended for Super Bowls. 

Passing on a potential franchise QB in the draft, starting the safe, reliable vet over the higher upside, younger guy, erratic as he may be, is an admission of an acceptance of mediocrity, it’s what George Paton has done his entire career.

At this point, the Broncos are becoming the Rockies. Richard Montfort famously, or infamously, said a few years ago that a reasonable goal for the Rox is to contend for the playoffs “two times in five years.”

I’ve come to accept what the Rockies are, we’rE not the Yankees. Same as my CSU Rams, I know we’re not going to ever be Alabama. I can live with that. 

I’m sorry, but I can’t live with that for the Broncos. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Could be right about Hamler, Teddy just can't throw that far but I don't see why he'd have a big negative on Sutton and Patrick's production. 

Teddy doesn't push the ball downfield, and he avoids the 50-50 balls.   Doesn't mean that Sutton/Patrick won't succeed, but if you have Lock in there, I think you'd see a lot more of those throws their way.    If Jeudy's open in the 15-yard area (or less), Teddy's default is to look that way.  And the dump off / safety valve throw (Fant?  Definitely RB's) is going to be seen a lot if Teddy is throwing on 1st/2nd down. 

The data demonstrates this even more:

11% deep ball attempt rate (about 3.5 per game) - 17th in league total, but near last on per game, 43 percent success rate (23rd overall)

7.1 air yards per attempt - 54th in the league.

He won't hurt us, but he's not likely to try to make the 50-50 play work where Sutton excelled, either.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

I like how it's a foregone conclusion that we're getting killed in the first round of the playoffs. If we make it to the playoffs it will probably be because of the defense, which means a lower scoring game. It's amazing to me the level of certainty of something of which we have no idea.

• Like 2

Seriously  I'm I on crack to think this was the plan all along? Ben allbright is glued in and said Lock outplayed him and in his opinion it was heavy leaned at the start. 

Someone I think it was funny comment guy he had a great point that with the young offense it make sense to pair with a vet leader lime Teddy b. It makes sense I think that was the plan all along. I think Vic wants to maximize the efficiency  of the units and if the team hits a plateuh  I believe Lock coming in with mental reps prep and understanding the way Teddy operates things may surprise people. 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

That’s excellent analysis and I eat up that kind of stuff. 

That being said, I always come back to the tried and true “eyeball test.” Maybe it’s that I’ve watched so much football for so long at so many levels - from 2A high school to the NFL -  that I just trust my gut.

What I see in the NFL is a league the consistently and steadily is progressing towards QB play being the deciding factor. Who were the “final four” QBs last year - Brady, Rodgers, Maholmes and Allen - that’s 3 first-ballot HOFers and last years MVP runner-up who enters this year as one the league’s top-5 QBs. 

Sure, we will probably win more games this year than last. That’s good. But Mr. B used to say that any season that we don’t win the Super Bowl is a disappointment. This year, Joe Ellis and George Paton said the goal is to play meaningful football in November and December. That’s what Paton’s teams have always done. Mr. B’s teams contended for Super Bowls. 

Passing on a potential franchise QB in the draft, starting the safe, reliable vet over the higher upside, younger guy, erratic as he may be, is an admission of an acceptance of mediocrity, it’s what George Paton has done his entire career.

At this point, the Broncos are becoming the Rockies. Richard Montfort famously, or infamously, said a few years ago that a reasonable goal for the Rox is to contend for the playoffs “two times in five years.”

I’ve come to accept what the Rockies are, we’rE not the Yankees. Same as my CSU Rams, I know we’re not going to ever be Alabama. I can live with that. 

I’m sorry, but I can’t live with that for the Broncos. 

I hear this. And I'm still with you (and everyone) about passing on Fields at 9. I'm just cautiously optimistic on Paton. So we'll see. Very possible I'm back to being cynical AF and end of the day we still have the ownership vacuum issue - which simply may hold us back until we get a real owner.

But Paton has a good track record, had a good offseason, and it is a ~possible fresh start for the franchise with the new structure. What had been going on was clearly broken. If he really doesn't value getting a franchise QB (hard to believe any FO would take that stance) and is overly conservative...I will be super down on that. I'm just hopeful and giving him a year. If the Broncos put a good product on the field this season that is a huge step in the right direction. You can get a franchise QB without tanking.  

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

Seriously  I'm I on crack to think this was the plan all along? Ben allbright is glued in and said Lock outplayed him and in his opinion it was heavy leaned at the start. 

Lock definitely outplayed him in the pre-season games - the stats don't lie - but the film is even more blatant. Unlike last season Lock appears to have got up to the speed of the NFL and has started to go through his progressions. He has also improved his footwork and he has been more accurate on deep balls. He has improved and only game time would demonstrate how much he has improved. This does not mean that Lock is going to grow into a QB that we can move forward with - but it does mean that we need to find it out this season. Meanwhile Teddy repeatedly checked down when he had a wide open receiver deep.

Take this scenario - Teddy gets to 9-8 and the Broncos scrape into the play-offs - Fangio and his staff are kept for a fourth season. Paton cannot make any moves in the off-season at QB and the Broncos are forced into next season with Teddy at QB. Lock has now missed out on his a full season of game time - and he walks at the end of his contract without the Broncos knowing if he could produce in a game situation.

It makes absolutely no sense to play Teddy - and the decision to play Teddy points the finger at Paton for not drafting a QB. If you look back at the draft day thread I was repeatedly saying that Paton should trade up to take Fields when he dropped beyond 1.04 - and then he went and passed on him when Fields fell into his lap.

There is no guarantee that Fields will be a franchise QB - but AAA is right - the NFL is becoming more dependent on having a quality QB and there are a lot of teams who have now passed the Broncos out in terms of acquiring (and potentially acquiring) their QBOTF. The Broncos are bottom tier when it comes to filling the increasingly most important position and Paton missed an opportunity on potentially solving the QB problem for the next 15 years.

• Like 1