What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

The big issue is that Shanahan is now 69 - would he really want to be at HC at that age?

Three years ago it was a case of getting the band back together with Kubiak coming in as OC - for another shot at a SB.

Unfortunately I think the clock has run out on that one - Shanahan has an input into what Kyle if doing in SF and I can't see him taking on all the stresses of a HC gig.

21 hours ago, anewdawn said:

Well Howell really stunk last night didn't he?  I also don't like Rattler's baggage either so theoretically those are the top two right now.  You may be onto something, sadly for us. 

Looks like you may have to wait two years to get after Bryce Young...can we just draft him next year and wait a year till he is eligible to draft? 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, 1234567 said:

Does anybody know if Joe Ellis is going to leave after this year? Seems like I had heard that once. Here’s where I’m going with this: Three years ago, John Elway secretly tried to hire Mike Shanahan. Like, the deal was *this* close to being done. And as part of that, Kirk Cousins had a closed door meeting with Mike. He was planning on coming here on a discount if Shanahan’s hiring had come to fruition. If that had happened, there’s zero percent chance we would be dealing with the incompetence that this franchise has sunk to. This entire thread would have been a moot point. Instead, Ellis blocked the move because he’s an egotistical moron, Cousins went to Paton’s Vikings, and the rest is history.

Well now Paton is here. And I doubt Fangio saves his job this year.. and Cousins will be entering the final year on his contract next season, making him extremely trade-able.. And we’ll be looking for a new head coach.. And we have the perfect weapons to run a west coast offense.. see where I’m going here? If Joe Ellis would just go away, my betting money would be on Shanny and Cousins both being on that sideline next year. Or, alternatively, stick with Lock. Drew Lock was born to play under Mike Shanahan. Prob never happen, but a man can dream. 

Wow this is all news to me.  And I keep using the word HOPE versus dream like it's all we really have had through this qb purgatory which is sadly our whole teams purgatory.  And as per usual I'm getting winded and just want to say that I share your dream.  Wouldn't it be something........

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

The big issue is that Shanahan is now 69 - would he really want to be at HC at that age?

Three years ago it was a case of getting the band back together with Kubiak coming in as OC - for another shot at a SB.

Unfortunately I think the clock has run out on that one - Shanahan has an input into what Kyle if doing in SF and I can't see him taking on all the stresses of a HC gig.

Yes, age would be a factor. But I think the circumstances behind his release were always a bit dubious (I think Pat Bowlen was showing signs as early as back then, and was influenced heavily into making that decision by those around him who wanted Shanahan gone). I think Mike would absolutely come back for a few years, if for nothing else to try and write his final chapter here the right way.

Who's to say Kubiak wouldn't still be on board? His health won't allow him to be HC anymore. But if he was willing to be OC 3 years ago, he'd still jump on it now. Especially with the weapons we currently have.

It may have. But never say never man. One thing I know about John Elway, the man is persistent and smart. There's no way he just let that idea die after Ellis blocked it. If the pieces fall into place next year, it could still happen. 

• Like 1

although i've heard the rumors about Elway wanting both Shanahans and Ellis blocking it....it all seems very convenient to me as a way to put everything on Ellis and save Elway. just my opinion tho. I have heard that stuff, but just thru the grapevine. 

On 9/4/2021 at 5:38 PM, 1234567 said:

Does anybody know if Joe Ellis is going to leave after this year? Seems like I had heard that once. Here’s where I’m going with this: Three years ago, John Elway secretly tried to hire Mike Shanahan. Like, the deal was *this* close to being done. And as part of that, Kirk Cousins had a closed door meeting with Mike. He was planning on coming here on a discount if Shanahan’s hiring had come to fruition. If that had happened, there’s zero percent chance we would be dealing with the incompetence that this franchise has sunk to. This entire thread would have been a moot point. Instead, Ellis blocked the move because he’s an egotistical moron, Cousins went to Paton’s Vikings, and the rest is history.

Well now Paton is here. And I doubt Fangio saves his job this year.. and Cousins will be entering the final year on his contract next season, making him extremely trade-able.. And we’ll be looking for a new head coach.. And we have the perfect weapons to run a west coast offense.. see where I’m going here? If Joe Ellis would just go away, my betting money would be on Shanny and Cousins both being on that sideline next year. Or, alternatively, stick with Lock. Drew Lock was born to play under Mike Shanahan. Prob never happen, but a man can dream. 

One, Ellis did announce that he is not going to renew his own contract and will depart prior to the 2022 league year beginning in March. 

Two, I don’t want Cousins here but, knowing Paton, it is a real possibility. 

Three, I don’t thinking hiring Mike would be a great move and I don’t think Mike is all too interested in the 100 hour work weeks that go with being a head coach and, even if he did, I don’t think he would want to be subordinate to someone who is essentially a rookie GM. 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

One, Ellis did announce that he is not going to renew his own contract and will depart prior to the 2022 league year beginning in March. 

Two, I don’t want Cousins here but, knowing Paton, it is a real possibility. 

Three, I don’t thinking hiring Mike would be a great move and I don’t think Mike is all too interested in the 100 hour work weeks that go with being a head coach and, even if he did, I don’t think he would want to be subordinate to someone who is essentially a rookie GM. 

Lets be honest here. Outside of a few FA moves his first year or two Shanny was a horrible GM.

A perfect example of the Peter Principle.

Edited by AKRNA
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Lets be honest here. Outside of a few FA moves his first year or two Shanny was a horrible GM.

A perfect example of the Peter Principle.

He was a terribile GM, especially defensively... which is why he ultimately got fired. 

On 9/4/2021 at 7:37 AM, anewdawn said:

Oh I got it and sadly the post that so disturbed you was my edited (scaled down)version.  Trust me there are some posts by regulars who in my opinion repeatedly do the same.  When I see them I cringe as they are just too long but I just skip over them.  I suggest you can simply do the same

I don’t mute fellow posters and I was trying to be helpful by encouraging more listening. There are many voices here.

2 hours ago, The Helicopter said:

I don’t mute fellow posters and I was trying to be helpful by encouraging more listening. There are many voices here.

WTF CMON MAN!!  Let it go already.   I have never tried to shut anyone up and am always listening.  I have even admitted my knowledge of the intricacies of the game are quite limited and clearly that statement alone reflects the fact that I do have to listen as I admittedly just don't know a lot.  I think that shows regularly in my posts and I could be taken to task on so many of my posts but due to the class act of the participants here I don't and am thankful for that.  The way I watch a game versus the way my son (whose coached the game) watches it are night and day.  Like many many others here though I do obsess about the fact that we turned away a great qb prospect in this draft.  Maybe even two!!  I don't know if I can ever let that go.  Just my opinion and we can all have those can't we?