What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

I think it's fair to say Teddy has far exceeded our expectations. The competition hasn't been the greatest but he's looked so comfortable, it's a breath of fresh air after what we've seen at QB the last several years. I've always been a Teddy B fan, ever since coming out of Louisville.

That said, calling him a potential "franchise" QB et al... should probably temper expectations. A lot of fans and media were praising him early last season in Carolina for solid  play as well but he really crashed down to earth the end of the season. He was downright BAD the last 6ish weeks, albeit with a less talented Panthers team. With an opening slate of NYG/JAX/NYJ, it's the ideal scenario for TB and the offense.

Again, I'm not being critical of a the first solid/GOOD quarterback play we've seen for years, and I'm happy to be 2-0, but we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, broncos67 said:

If Lock was starting and put up the numbers Teddy has, Broncos fans would be giddy. It's hilarious to see the double standard.

I also find it funny that the 4 year age difference is being broadstroked as one guy being a dinosaur and the other a spring chicken. 

This isnt a 22 year old vs a 32 year old. Teddy is about to turn 29, Lock about to turn 25. Its not some sort of huge age gap, with the younger being a pandoras box of youthful potential.

Bridgewater has been unfortunate in having a career that was derailed by a uniquely horrific injury, then being relegated to bouncing around the league. His only truly poor play was last year in CAR. He isnt going to elevate talent, but he is good enough to make use of already available talent. He showed that in the 2 years he got meaningful snaps (Sophmore year in MIN, step in year in NO). He is showing that again. 

Is this guy the answer? Who knows, be he sure as hell looks closer to the answer than anything we have seen since PFM. His first two games as a Bronco have given us the best consecutive games of QB play we have seen since PFM. He is a near annoyingly likable guy who we should be thankful to root for. And for the first time in 5 year we seem to have a QB that doesnt panic like a chicken with his head cut off when the pressure comes. He has literally stepped up in the pocket more in the past 2 games than Drew Lock has in his 599 pass attempts as a Bronco. 

I try not to overact, but while it doesnt say much so far Teddy is the only QB we have had since Peyton that seems like someone we may want to keep around. Then again its only 2 games against poor opponents, but in the meantime we sure as hell should enjoy this competent QB play. Its the first time we have had that in a half decade. Enjoy it. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

I think some of us underestimated the mental and leadership aspects of the QB competition. It’s not just preseason performance. It's silly to act like preseason games are the only barometer. Besides, it's not like there was a huge difference. Anyway, it doesn't even matter now.

So Joe. Check out some of the Bill Walsh videos on line. He'll explain pretty much exactly what we're seeing right now. 

Formations have changed, route trees are different but the offensive concept is identical to what SF and Montana used for a decade to establish one of the most dominant stretches of any team in history using an undersized, weak armed, but very accurate and smart QB. 

@lomaxgrUK made one of the best posts regarding our offense yet, that being " TB's making all the correct decisions". That was exciting. Sutton said they could count on TB to get them into the right play every time. Thats exciting. That's really what the WCO is all about. Most plays are designed to give a QB the option to attack any of the three levels of the field depending on coverage and individual match ups. With the strength at all the skill positions we have TB just needs to be the point guard, getting the ball to the right guy.

Any way, you'll like Walsh. Very entertaining and really smart.

• Like 2

If Teddy can get through a few more games where the competition is more stiff than I am cool with rolling Bridgewater while drafting the kid out of Liberty and letting him sit behind Teddy for a few years till he is ready...Willis seems like he has talent in droves but needs some work.  Alas, if you do this than Lock will have to get moved.  I don't know what you get for Lock, a 7th? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rcpbawler said:

I think it's fair to say Teddy has far exceeded our expectations. The competition hasn't been the greatest but he's looked so comfortable, it's a breath of fresh air after what we've seen at QB the last several years. I've always been a Teddy B fan, ever since coming out of Louisville.

That said, calling him a potential "franchise" QB et al... should probably temper expectations. A lot of fans and media were praising him early last season in Carolina for solid  play as well but he really crashed down to earth the end of the season. He was downright BAD the last 6ish weeks, albeit with a less talented Panthers team. With an opening slate of NYG/JAX/NYJ, it's the ideal scenario for TB and the offense.

Again, I'm not being critical of a the first solid/GOOD quarterback play we've seen for years, and I'm happy to be 2-0, but we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves.

I don't see how anyone could disagree with any of this.

Perfectly summarised. Although, I won't lament people for focusing on the fact we're 2-0 rather than trying to second guess just how good Teddy is.

Edited by lomaxgrUK

1 hour ago, bMiller031 said:

Lmao Klis is such a dope

Dear God. I heard him in The “Teddy Bridgewater” Fan “club” this morning. Reminder, this is the same “reporter” who championed Kyle Orton and Josh McDaniels. Talk about just eating up the company line. 

Look, Teddy has been fine. Even better than I expected. And we’re 2-0 to start the season for the first time since the Vance Jospeh era. 

Klis’ “reporting” just so outwardly and blatantly biased and parroting the company line talking points of the powers that be that even the White House press corps is embarrassed for him. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

As compared to Bridgewater looking so poor ?????

I don't get what you are saying?  Would I take Darnold over Bridgewater, yes I would simply because he is younger, and we don't know the ceiling on Darnold, where I think Bridgewater is at his best right now and I don't know if that is good enough to beat the Chiefs or even the Raiders for that matter. 

31 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

For those touting Justin Fields, his 1st start 6/20 for 68yrds with 0 TD's and 0 INT's...not world shatter but no mistakes. Definitely not ready, yet.

Don't forget he was sacked 9 times for 67 yards. (net passing yds +1)He was also hit another 13 times. Total yards generated in his 1st start? 47 total yards of offense. 

That has to be one of the worst QB debuts in history. Maybe another year or two holding clipboards?

• Like 1