What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

25 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

It was a pretty typical rookie performance on his first start - not helped by the fact that the Bears OL repeatedly collapsed like a pack of cards throughout the game.

Not typical at all. It was pretty awful. The kind of day that can eventually ruin a young QB. 9 sacks, 15 hits and another 3 on running plays. That's 27 in one game! He won't survive much of that. I feel sorry for the kid. 

He just needs time to learn the position without getting killed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

It was a pretty typical rookie performance on his first start - not helped by the fact that the Bears OL repeatedly collapsed like a pack of cards throughout the game.

Kind of experience that made short David Carr's career.

3 possibilities:

1.  Denver blocking a waiver PS claim as they want to keep Rypien as their cheap 2022-23 backup.  

2.  Teddy is nicked up, or he / Lock have a COVID contact situation. 

3.  Lock is getting traded.  

I think 2/3 are more likely simply because carrying 3 QB for the season would be tough.  

EDIT:   Apparently it was #1.  Carrying 3 QB’s with all of our injuries for 14 more games - seems rough.  Guess we’ll see if Paton addresses this later.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

Yeh, it's definitely a risky move to carry 3 QB's when you have not only our injuries, but also our appalling ST coverage.

Obviously the bottom end of the roster is where you're looking for ST contribution, so we have (in essence) replaced a player we traded a pick for his ST play (Griffith) with a 3rd string QB.

Big time pressure on McMahon to get this thing sorted, and quickly.

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Yeh, it's definitely a risky move to carry 3 QB's when you have not only our injuries, but also our appalling ST coverage.

Obviously the bottom end of the roster is where you're looking for ST contribution, so we have (in essence) replaced a player we traded a pick for his ST play (Griffith) with a 3rd string QB.

Big time pressure on McMahon to get this thing sorted, and quickly.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I think Rypien makes for a solid #2 at rookie min wages.    But if you're 3-0 this year, and you have a coach who entered the year on the hot seat, keeping 3 QB's when Teddy B / Lock are the 1-2, it only goes so far when injuries have crippled our depth, and our ST play is abysmal.   

Honestly, if you want to keep Rypien as your backup, and you've gone with Teddy as the starter, then start looking to see if you can get anything for Lock.   The outcome if you're going Teddy now is that the ship is sailing on Lock.    On the other hand, if for some reason you don't want to make that commitment to cut bait with Lock, call up the team that wanted Rypien, and see if you can get a conditional Day 3 pick. I know it's not much, but the likelihood we can keep 3 QB's on the roster for ROS to prevent a claim, is pretty thin.   

Unless we suddenly fall out of contention quickly, or 1 of the first 2 QB goes on IR, the odds seem long.  And, as much as I like Rypien's intangibles - he's projecting as a career backup.   If you're a rebuilder, no sense in losing that cheap asset at min wage - but if you're trying to win this year, it's a tough call to make that move.   The trade deadline is in 5 weeks - gotta think Paton will make a call by then, at latest.

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I think Rypien makes for a solid #2 at rookie min wages.    But if you're 3-0 this year, and you have a coach who entered the year on the hot seat, keeping 3 QB's when Teddy B / Lock are the 1-2, it only goes so far when injuries have crippled our depth, and our ST play is abysmal.   

Honestly, if you want to keep Rypien as your backup, and you've gone with Teddy as the starter, then start looking to see if you can get anything for Lock.   The outcome if you're going Teddy now is that the ship is sailing on Lock.    On the other hand, if for some reason you don't want to make that commitment to cut bait with Lock, call up the team that wanted Rypien, and see if you can get a conditional Day 3 pick. I know it's not much, but the likelihood we can keep 3 QB's on the roster for ROS to prevent a claim, is pretty thin.   

Unless we suddenly fall out of contention quickly, or 1 of the first 2 QB goes on IR, the odds seem long.  And, as much as I like Rypien's intangibles - he's projecting as a career backup.   If you're a rebuilder, no sense in losing that cheap asset at min wage - but if you're trying to win this year, it's a tough call to make that move.   The trade deadline is in 5 weeks - gotta think Paton will make a call by then, at latest.

Don't forget, Teddy is a FA after the season, there's no guarantee he resigns here. Success here will make him a hot commodity and there will be several teams looking for a new QB and it's easier to just sign a FA than trade for one. 

Benjamin Albright reported it was CLE would was threatening to steal Rypien, kinda strange considering their QB situation. I also heard HOU and PIT as potential threats, seems both of those were more viable IMO.

While I like Rypien as a backup, seems if we could get a draft pick it might interest Paton.

2 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Benjamin Albright reported it was CLE would was threatening to steal Rypien, kinda strange considering their QB situation. I also heard HOU and PIT as potential threats, seems both of those were more viable IMO.

While I like Rypien as a backup, seems if we could get a draft pick it might interest Paton.

OR, the Broncos are getting ready to ship Lock somewhere and need Rypien to be Bridgewaters' backup 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jsthomp2007 said:

OR, the Broncos are getting ready to ship Lock somewhere and need Rypien to be Bridgewaters' backup 

Interesting scenario. Lock with great physical talent but not so much between the ears and Rypien exactly the opposite.

I don’t want to see Rypien on the field again. 4 INTs in 5 quarters of play, and a lot of that was due to his physical limitations. I think it’s likely they do trade Lock after the season but for a team in the hunt for a playoff spot he will give you a much better chance than Rypien, who will probably be a coach before he turns 30.

Edited by BroncoBruin

18 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

I don’t want to see Rypien on the field again. 4 INTs in 5 quarters of play, and a lot of that was due to his physical limitations. I think it’s likely they do trade Lock after the season but for a team in the hunt for a playoff spot he will give you a much better chance than Rypien, who will probably be a coach before he turns 30.

Coaching at Chatfield Senior High isn't going to get him too many more coaching gigs in the NLF in the future

Both were really poor. Bridgewater looked more in control but missed a few throws and in my opinion, was far too conservative vs a heavy blitz outfit.

Lock made a few decent throws when his initial read was there, but his feet in the pocket were a mess even when the protection was there. I can't blame him I suppose, given he came into the game cold and the protection wasn't good at all.

The situation for both of them was borderline dire, really. I actually think this forum might have underestimated just how important KJ Hamler is to this team. Sutton and Patrick might be relatively productive, but in terms of their impact on what a Defense can do schematically, they are very similar and in truth, don't impact a Defense much at all.

Unless we can threaten the field vertically (both from a QB and WR perspective), we're doomed Offensively. We aren't precise enough to dink and dunk our way down there like the Patriots did with Tom Brady for so many years. Too many penalties, too many bad throws, too many drops.

Throw in our #2 WR being hurt and of course our two starting Guards being out, we're in a real mess Offensively right now. Not ideal.

Whilst I think the playcalling was poor, I think people are delusional if they think we can just run the ball and win. Eventually, you are going to be forced into 3rd and long and then you're expecting your QB to be able to just convert when he's not throwing the ball on 1st and 2nd down.

To be able to win football games against good teams, you have to be able to move the ball through the air. The plays called weren't fantastic, yet I don't necessarily have the same angst as others about the run/pass balance. If you're relying on the run game, it just takes one bad run and you're in trouble.

• Like 4