What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

37 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

Well, it would certainly help us in obtaining the #1 pick in the draft next year if that's anyone's play...and as a bonus we get even more picks...wouldn't that be fun?!

Lock was taken as the #42 overall pick because of the concerns that his play hasn’t really addressed.    Take away 2 cheap years and it’s likely that he’s not getting more than a late 3rd / early day 3 pick.    Darnold’s ceiling is why someone might spend a 2nd - early 3rd; rightly or wrongly the ceiling of a high 1st will tempt teams more than a guy ever team passes over the first time around (unless their play changes the opinion - but in that case it’s unlikely they are being dealt).  

If a team is unloading a rookie contract QB they aren’t getting similar value.   If we are giving up on the idea of Lock as a starter no one else is going to commit a similar price for fewer cheap years of cost control.    

As long as Fangio is our coach I don’t see us sniffing 1.1.   The D will always keep us in enough games to win our share.   That’s why I’m all over a Watson scenario (but doubt we have the pieces to get him).   I do see the merit if Paton loves one of the big 3 and they are there at 1.4 - 1.5, the argument to move up.    In a perfect world it wouldn’t cost our 2022 1st but that’s unlikely given the other teams involved who would be interested as well.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Lock was taken as the #42 overall pick because of the concerns that his play hasn’t really addressed.    Take away 2 cheap years and it’s likely that he’s not getting more than a late 3rd / early day 3 pick.    Darnold’s ceiling is why someone might spend a 2nd - early 3rd; rightly or wrongly the ceiling of a high 1st will tempt teams more than a guy ever team passes over the first time around (unless their play changes the opinion - but in that case it’s unlikely they are being dealt).  

If a team is unloading a rookie contract QB they aren’t getting similar value.   If we are giving up on the idea of Lock as a starter no one else is going to commit a similar price for fewer cheap years of cost control.    

As long as Fangio is our coach I don’t see us sniffing 1.1.   The D will always keep us in enough games to win our share.   That’s why I’m all over a Watson scenario (but doubt we have the pieces to get him).   I do see the merit if Paton loves one of the big 3 and they are there at 1.4 - 1.5, the argument to move up.    In a perfect world it wouldn’t cost our 2022 1st but that’s unlikely given the other teams involved who would be interested as well.  

Yeah, I was being facetious about trading away Lock for any pick and not having a QB on the roster next year to 'tank' it. It's purely a pick grab move...still interesting to think about...and as AAA alluded to, turning the NFL in to the NBA.

The Dan Campbell interview is really entertaining for the kneecap portion.  But the actual substance is interesting - in that I don’t think he mentioned Stafford once.   

No mention of Stafford.    Clean slate.   Nothing concrete but maybe there is smoke here.   He could be on the market. 

Edited by Broncofan

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

The Dan Campbell interview is really entertaining for the kneecap portion.  But the actual substance is interesting - in that I don’t think he mentioned Stafford once.   

No mention of Stafford.    Clean slate.   Nothing concrete but maybe there is smoke here.   He could be on the market. 

What about bringing in someone cheaper like Dalton or Trubisky? Everything else being equal (scheme, OL, receivers), if Lock can't out perform either of these backups, then we have problems. Think of it as a litmus test.

7 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

What about bringing in someone cheaper like Dalton or Trubisky? Everything else being equal (scheme, OL, receivers), if Lock can't out perform either of these backups, then we have problems. Think of it as a litmus test.

A big no on Trubisky.  He’s had 4 years to grow - and he has literally shown zero progress.   Bad mechanics, slow read progression, has to see the WR open to pull the trigger. All of which leads to late throws and poor placement.   Dalton just has no long term upside so doesn’t fit with Paton mandate.  

Really Paton has 3 options: 

1.   Believe Lock is the guy then it’s a cheap backup upgrade.  
2.  Get a vet that replaces Lock, who gets traded and likely for minimal early impact (Rd3-4) value. 
3.  Trade up for the QB he wants.  

The option that doesn’t work - the halfway in between move.   Don’t see a Day 2 rookie as a hedge for Lock, don’t see getting a guy to just compete with Lock (replace or be backup to him - that list isn’t long lol).   Elway & Fangio fighting to keep their job had that last option thinking only for 2021.   Paton’s mandate is much longer-term (thankfully). 

Edited by Broncofan

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

A big no on Trubisky.  He’s had 4 years to grow - and he has literally shown zero progress.   Bad mechanics, slow read progression, has to see the WR open to pull the trigger. All of which leads to late throws and poor placement.   Dalton just has no long term upside so doesn’t fit with Paton mandate.  

Really Paton has 3 options: 

1.   Believe Lock is the guy then it’s a cheap backup upgrade.  
2.  Get a vet that replaces Lock, who gets traded and likely for minimal early impact (Rd3-4) value. 
3.  Trade up for the QB he wants.  

The option that doesn’t work - the halfway in between move.   Don’t see a Day 2 rookie as a hedge for Lock, don’t see getting a guy to just compete with Lock (replace or be backup to him - that list isn’t long lol).   Elway & Fangio fighting to keep their job had that last option thinking only for 2021.   Paton’s mandate is much longer-term (thankfully). 

The thinking is one year deal for a backup QB. They don't pose a threat to Lock (assuming Lock is good). It's a make or break year for Lock. If he stinks it up then we get a great pick and go for our QB. If he excels then we are in good shape financially. That's my logic...

Edited by The Helicopter
Grammer

9 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

The thinking is one year deal for a backup QB. They don't pose a threat to Lock (assuming Lock is good). It's a make or break year for Lock. If he stinks it up then we get a great pick and go for our QB. If he excels then we are in good shape financially. That's my logic...

Dalton if it’s one year and cheap sure.   I wouldn’t even take Trubisky as a backup.   His weaknesses make him a bad backup.   You like your backup to be a guy who can come in with no practice, to know the O and make reads.   Those are some of his worst traits.   He’s either making it as a starter (unlikely) or he’s washing out.   The Bortles pathway.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Dalton if it’s one year and cheap sure.   I wouldn’t even take Trubisky as a backup.   His weaknesses make him a bad backup.   You like your backup to be a guy who can come in with no practice, to know the O and make reads.   Those are some of his worst traits.   

What you think Teddy Bridgewaters market looks like if they moved on? Paton had him in minnesota I wouldn't mind him as a bridge if Lock doesn't work out.

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

What you think Teddy Bridgewaters market looks like if they moved on? Paton had him in minnesota I wouldn't mind him as a bridge if Lock doesn't work out.

He’s signed for 2021.   He’s CAR’s bridge for whoever they draft (like Fitz in MIA).