What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

15 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Stafford would be a great get.  Think he’d fit perfect with this young offense.

Problem is what the cost might be and the cap it will take.  The defense needs rebuilt in a bad way.  

A team taking him on assumes 20M & 23M for 2021-2.   Those are very reasonable even for 2021’s tighter cap.  

The Q is really about trade price and his health with 2 years of back injuries.  Given the likely asking price teams aren’t trading for him if you only think you are getting 2 more years.   You are planning on 4-5 years of peak performance. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

I think if you get Stafford, you’re essentially trading his salary for Casey and Bouye.   If you can get Von to restructure and/or send a player and his contract to Detroit that could really work.   Send James along with a mid round pick for Stafford?   

24 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

The team's decision makers being Paton and Fangio, two guys who competed against Stafford for years in the NFC North, does add a level of intrigue. I just can't see them giving up #9 and I don't think a Stafford deal gets done for less than a 1st. 

I don't think DEN would trade 1.9 for Stafford, straight up.    Maybe 1.9 & a player (not a core piece) for Stafford and DET's 2.6.   But only if they are confident in Stafford's back holding up to his age 35-36 season.

On the flip side, DET is going to get interest from teams that are in our situation - strong D, decent OL, good weapons - but major issues at QB.   That's SF & IND, right off the bat (you can see their fans' responses in the NFLN thread already, it's well-known how much those FO's are looking to upgrade).    We can offer the highest pick, but that's a steep price given Stafford's health issues.   Ironically, as he's only 32, if it wasn't for the back, it would be a nobrainer to do, especially with the cap hit being quite friendly.  But you aren't giving up 1.9 for just 2 years of good QB play.  You need 4-5 years at non-rookie level play to justify it.

Either way, the DET and QB offseason just gained about 10x the interest.   Watson's adding a lot of intrigue, but he's under contract, and HOU doesn't really want to deal him.   DET/Stafford agreeing to part ways really adds to the immediate intrigue.

Edited by Broncofan

27 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I don't think DEN would trade 1.9 for Stafford, straight up.    Maybe 1.9 & a player (not a core piece) for Stafford and DET's 2.6.   But only if they are confident in Stafford's back holding up to his age 35-36 season.

On the flip side, DET is going to get interest from teams that are in our situation - strong D, decent OL, good weapons - but major issues at QB.   That's SF & IND, right off the bat (you can see their fans' responses in the NFLN thread already, it's well-known how much those FO's are looking to upgrade).    We can offer the highest pick, but that's a steep price given Stafford's health issues.   Ironically, as he's only 32, if it wasn't for the back, it would be a nobrainer to do, especially with the cap hit being quite friendly.  But you aren't giving up 1.9 for just 2 years of good QB play.  You need 4-5 years at non-rookie level play to justify it.

Either way, the DET and QB offseason just gained about 10x the interest.   Watson's adding a lot of intrigue, but he's under contract, and HOU doesn't really want to deal him.   DET/Stafford agreeing to part ways really adds to the immediate intrigue.

Yeah wouldn’t be thrilled with giving up 9

1 minute ago, Counselor said:

Yeah wouldn’t be thrilled with giving up 9

If we could give up 2.9 and a young player (Hamler?) & Lock, I'd be all over that - but I don't think DET is interested in Lock.   At 1.7, they're probably either going to use assets to move up and get their QB (Fields being an OSU guy?), and so whatever trade Stafford brings, likely has to be enough to make it happen.

The problem is that IND would likely have no problem giving up 1.21.   SF probably wouldn't give up 1.12 straight up, but who knows, they're definitely closer to the ring than we are, I mean, they were 10 minutes away from the SB last year, and JimmyG is a huge part of their problem (injuries too, but those guys are coming back).

• Like 1

Just now, Broncofan said:

If we could give up 2.9 and a young player (Hamler?) & Lock, I'd be all over that - but I don't think DET is interested in Lock.   At 1.7, they're probably either going to use assets to move up and get their QB (Fields being an OSU guy?), and so whatever trade Stafford brings, likely has to be enough to make it happen.

The problem is that IND would likely have no problem giving up 1.21.   SF probably wouldn't give up 1.12 straight up, but who knows, they're definitely closer to the ring than we are, I mean, they were 10 minutes away from the SB last year, and JimmyG is a huge part of their problem (injuries too, but those guys are coming back).

Yeah IND has shown they will trade firsts no problem for vets