What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

Lots of good takes here and lots of varying opinions. Good conversation.

I think though that Lock will be our starter next year. A lot's been invested in this kid and we all knew it would take time. If you watch film from last season the difference in his play between the 1st 4 games and the last 4 is pretty dramatic. He improved a lot. So did our OL and by extension our running game. Shurmer also improved, leaning much more heavily on the run with good results.

I don't see us bringing in any competition for Drew. We may replace him but I don't think so.

Next year will be the 2nd season in this offense. Our WR and TE groups are deep and talented. We'll be returning all our OL starters with only RT a question. Bolles is a rock at LT. Our IOL is deep and Cushenberry's legendary work ethic should overcome most of his flaws. Muti may be the wildcard there. Should be fun to watch.

Anyway, if I'm Paton/Fangio, looking at the roster as a whole, I'm far more concerned with adding top talent through the draft than I am with the QB situation. If Lock doesn't pan out this year bring in a replacement. Whoever it may be would be walking into a much better situation than we're in now.

Basically I'm just real optimistic. I like where we are and the approach going forward.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

No I mean Ballard the New GM. He said he's not picking a qb just to pick qb it has to be the right one. Or the next guy will be doing his job. The first round QBs warranting second contracts isn't as nhigh as you think.

That's not true, I don't think that at all. They're the most overdrafted position in football as far as value and probably have the highest bust rate. Lots of reasons for that.

The best ones go to the worst teams. Many are thrust into starting roles way too quickly and never get a chance to learn the game. There's way to much pressure put on them to single handedly turn a franchise around.

Mahomes is an exception to the rule but 1) He was drafted by a very good team.  2) He also went to a spot with one of the best offensive coaches in the business 3) he had a year to sit on the bench and learn behind Alex Smith. 

Anyway, that's why I'm probably the biggest skeptic on this forum when it comes to using #1 picks at QB. Just way too many years watching the best college QB's bust in the NFL. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Counselor said:

I will not be accepting George Fostee

LOL...who would? Wasn't that pick rather passive? I remember that draft for some reason, and it was like Shanahan just said, "F***ck it...let's just draft George Foster." Might as well have just moved the pick, or drafted a soda machine. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AKRNA said:

That's not true, I don't think that at all. They're the most overdrafted position in football as far as value and probably have the highest bust rate. Lots of reasons for that.

The best ones go to the worst teams. Many are thrust into starting roles way too quickly and never get a chance to learn the game. There's way to much pressure put on them to single handedly turn a franchise around.

Mahomes is an exception to the rule but 1) He was drafted by a very good team.  2) He also went to a spot with one of the best offensive coaches in the business 3) he had a year to sit on the bench and learn behind Alex Smith. 

Anyway, that's why I'm probably the biggest skeptic on this forum when it comes to using #1 picks at QB. Just way too many years watching the best college QB's bust in the NFL. 

You basically agreed with what I said with this whole post lol

According to Troy Renck, the price for Stafford will be a 1st + a 2nd/3rd. 

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/broncos/matthew-stafford-is-available-will-broncos-call-about-veteran-qb?fbclid=IwAR3XE6U7qjrHcWL_u_IRtqiDlLJwWdmpVBe5Jn7N-a1XEMEb7tkl_tXOuEM

Given the anticipated interest in Stafford, it would likely require a first-rounder and a second or third-round pick to land the former Georgia star.

6 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

You basically agreed with what I said with this whole post lol

Actually, I just called you out on your statement that the Colts don't value 1st rd QB's. That's a bit inaccurate when the only three times they've had the top pick they've taken QB's, Elway, Manning and Luck.

11 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Actually, I just called you out on your statement that the Colts don't value 1st rd QB's. That's a bit inaccurate when the only three times they've had the top pick they've taken QB's, Elway, Manning and Luck.

I corrected my statement referring too Chris Ballard specifically and he also eluded to the history of first round QBs regarding second contracts.

Bringing up the Colts of 8 years ago or 22 years ago doesn't seem valid in this discussion imo.

17 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I corrected my statement referring too Chris Ballard specifically and he also eluded to the history of first round QBs regarding second contracts.

Bringing up the Colts of 8 years ago or 22 years ago doesn't seem valid in this discussion imo.

Dude, he had a pro bowl quality QB in Andrew Luck and signed Philip Rivers last off-season, of course he hasn't drafted a quarterback in the first round. 

3 minutes ago, rcpbawler said:

Dude, he had a pro bowl quality QB in Andrew Luck and signed Philip Rivers last off-season, of course he hasn't drafted a quarterback in the first round. 

I don't know what you're getting at? They could of kept their pick that they traded to San Francisco and traded up for a qb but decided against it. Ballard seems very calculated in his decision making.