What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

I don't get the hype of stafford at this point I mean he was two percentage points less accurate with a clean pocket this year less than Lock and they were both bottom 5. I thing QB musical chairs is the new norm now. I mean Adam Scefter says as many as 18 QBs could change teams this off season insane.

6 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Ahhh Aaron Rodgers wants a new contract that's apparently what's behind that ominous presser. I'd take a chance on him. Heck Lock may learn a thing or two behind him as well

I'd only spend that money if we were just a QB away from winning the Super Bowl. And we might be, but we need another year with young guys to figure that one out. Theoretically he'd have the most offensive weapon in Denver that he's ever had, along with the support of a top 10 defense.

7 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Ahhh Aaron Rodgers wants a new contract that's apparently what's behind that ominous presser. I'd take a chance on him. Heck Lock may learn a thing or two behind him as well

GB isn't trading him.   They'll get the deal done.    This isn't A-Rod threatening to never play again in GB, he's using the leverage off a MVP season to guarantee his 2022-23 years, and get a raise, and more years (and most importantly, more guaranteed $) to his deal.   

There's 0 guaranteed money after 2021 in Rodgers' contract (signed through 2022-23), so he's getting insurance against injury, or sudden decline in his play (former being more likely than the latter at this stage, but guaranteed $ is king in contracts).  It's a smart move on his part, there's never going to be a better time to take this position, coming off a MVP season.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

GB isn't trading him.   They'll get the deal done.    This isn't A-Rod threatening to never play again in GB, he's using the leverage off a MVP season to guarantee his 2022-23 years, and get a raise, and more years (and most importantly, more guaranteed $) to his deal.   

There's 0 guaranteed money after 2021 in Rodgers' contract (signed through 2022-23), so he's getting insurance against injury, or sudden decline in his play (former being more likely than the latter at this stage, but guaranteed $ is king in contracts).  It's a smart move on his part, there's never going to be a better time to take this position, coming off a MVP season.

I just feel whenever a guy is drafted round one too replace a vet they don't stick around usually you may be right though. Plus, we don't know loves progress.

4 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I just feel whenever a guy is drafted round one too replace a vet they don't stick around usually you may be right though. Plus, we don't know loves progress.

They were worried A-rod was in decline.    It was also the most widely questioned Rd1 pick and with hindsight is getting crucified.  

As A-Rod isn’t declining yet (clearly) - he’s exercising maximum leverage.   He won’t ever get a better chance to re-work the deal and with no guaranteed money in 2022 this is the time.   Vegas has him at -500 to stay in GB   

17 hours ago, champ11 said:

can you get a good journeyman as a starter at QB in free agency tho? i don't think so. we tried for two years.  case keenum and joe flacco (trade but same idea of availability). you need a very good QB and unfortunately in most cases if an organization has a very good QB...they keep him. 

best place you can be is a very good QB on a rookie deal. no doubt about that. but having an elite QB at market price (Watson) is also a good place to be. but when you factor in lose of pick assets etc..sure, it becomes more complicated. the place you don't want to be is just QB-less and looking (like us). or overpaying an ok QB a ton of money...like minnesota 

addendum to this. we tried for 3 years. the other one was mark sanchez lmao

10 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

No way. Maybe if the Packers release him but thats it.

10 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I don't get the hype of stafford at this point I mean he was two percentage points less accurate with a clean pocket this year less than Lock and they were both bottom 5. I thing QB musical chairs is the new norm now. I mean Adam Scefter says as many as 18 QBs could change teams this off season insane.

No on both fronts.  1) Why would GB allow Rodgers to leave? It's silly that we're even discussing it. They'll be a contender in 2021, he's under contract, beloved by the market, play not declining, etc.  2) Lock will not be in DEN if an established starter is brought in.

I'll be interested to see if Rogers goes for the bucks or for the ring.

The Pack have paid him $240 mil so far in his career. Maybe this time around he'll take one for the team, take a pay cut, and help the Packers out of the "cap hell" they're in. Pursue one more ring. 

Or not.

On 1/25/2021 at 12:08 PM, bMiller031 said:

This is my hope as well.  I think there’s a small risk that he’s grown fat and happy but even more likely that he has a Carson Palmer-esque “I’m better than my situation allowed me to be” chip on his shoulder.  I hope @Broncofanis right on trade comp (that 1.9 will be tough to beat) but worry that IND/SF will make a godfather offer w/ immediate championship windows to take advantage of.

Matt comes from big money.  His family is loaded.  What shows me he has not grown fat and happy is the way he plays through injury on a loser team that would likely lose even if he was at 100%.  Having said that he has been a Lion forever and there is so much debate as to how good he really is.  That debate - how good is he really is constant over his tenure at qb in this area.  Alot of people think that Barry Sanders was the best rb ever and I never thought so thinking he was way over rated.  So many of his yards came with the Lions being so out of the game like a qb throwing against a prevent defense - like Stafford pads his stats.  PS I got a PTI episode taped where Tony and Mike say the same thing about Sanders.  It was on after the week Saquan ran for like six yards on a ton of carries - like thats a rb I want.  I taped it as ammo as I am the only one around here who thinks Barry was over rated.  My favourite Lion rb was Billy Sims - the guy who offered to come back for free just for a chance to restart his career and Wayne Fontes and the hapless organization said thanks but no thanks - UNBELIEVABLE!  Anyway I always felt bad that Sanders had to leave the Lions the way he did and the same happened with Calvin Johnson.  I think it was the second last Lion game when they panned to the sideline and you could see Stafford saying "I'm done".  He was pissed and naturally tired of the true donkey show that is the Lions.  So glad the Lions appear to be letting him out of hell on earth football wise!  I think he would thrive on our team.......  

12 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Is he a better option than Flacco was? I just don't see it not for a first plus. 

oh he's a couple tiers above Flacco. he's very good. but HOF...no. not without the team success. his numbers are certainly impressive tho. i'd move a first for him