What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

4 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I think with the same team as last year, and Stafford, we become credible again.  I'd give up 1.9 in the draft for a 9-7 or a 10-6 season so that when the new ownership is in place free agents will want to play in Denver again.  

The only position I have concerns about (and assuming we keep Simmons on board) is at CB.  I am not sure where you address that position in the draft of FA.  If we have Stafford the next position I would have some concern with would be along the DL and then ILB.  

Agreed. I think we need 2 news CBs and a coverage ILB, at minimum. 

FWIW back to Stafford's market value - it's the lying season, but it's not like you can't map out the interested teams....

IND, SF, DEN mentioned by many.   CHI moving on from Trubisky, NE in limbo, WFT needs a QB (and it's not Heinecke).   We don't even have to be 1 of the teams for there to be 5...

Edited by Broncofan

52 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Regarding the Stafford contract, from my FA Thread, we currently have $16.8m in cap space and by moving in from both Bouye and Casey, we save another $24.1m, giving us a total of $40.9m.

If Stafford takes 1/2 that, we have $20m left, assume about $6m-$8m for our draft picks (losing 1.9 in the trade saves us some money) and we would still have enough to extend Simmons (with a low cap hit year 1) and add a middle-tier FA or two. 

Without Stafford we would be able to do a lot more in free agency, adding depth across the roster and a big name or two plus a day 1 starter at a position of need with 1.9. 

I’m not arguing one way or another on Stafford (in this post) but acquiring him for 1.9 almost assuredly means he’s our only significant change to the roster for 2021 from 2020. Minus Stafford, we get a rookie at 1.9 and anywhere from 2-4 new starters and 2-5 role players. That’s essentially the choice Paton will have to make. 

In weighing if you want to acquire Stafford, you have to ask yourself the following question - do I want A) the same team as last year with the addition of Stafford and likely with a healthy Von and Sutton, or B) do I want 6-7 new players in key roles and a healthy Von and Sutton? 

We went 5-11 in 2020, which option is more likely to give us 5 more wins to get to 10-6 and thus the playoffs?

I believe we actually have $29.1m cap room at present. The $16m figure was based on a $175m salary cap but the word on the street is $188m is expected. 

7 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I thought Andy Dalton played some good football this year and we'd still retain all our picks too build with. 

I think he can definitely get us to that same 10-6 mark. Not a sexy pick but serviceable

I'm sorry man but your posts make zero sense. You basically have been saying that Stafford is barely mediocre and will do nothing to lift all boats in this franchise and now you're advocating for Andy Dalton? Just cuz the price is cheap does not mean it's worth it..

Sometimes you've gotta swing for the fences and take risks and it's about time we had an actual leader at QB, not just another journeyman or subpar young guy. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I thought Andy Dalton played some good football this year and we'd still retain all our picks too build with. 

I think he can definitely get us to that same 10-6 mark. Not a sexy pick but serviceable

LOL.

Andy Dalton would be a nice veteran backup and mentor for Drew, not a starter. Dallas won 4 games this year with Dalton as the starter and he had a superior surrounding cast and an easier schedule than we did. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I believe we actually have $29.1m cap room at present. The $16m figure was based on a $175m salary cap but the word on the street is $188m is expected. 

Good point. 

You know I actually read something along these lines the other day. While league revenue is projecting a cap of around $175m, plus or minus a few million, with 2 more playoff games, a 17 game season next year and new TV contracts in the horizon, some think the league may, in essence, borrow against future revenue and set a $195m this year before going up to $205-$210 next year. 

22 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

FWIW back to Stafford's market value - it's the lying season, but it's not like you can't map out the interested teams....

IND, SF, DEN mentioned by many.   CHI moving on from Trubisky, NE in limbo, WFT needs a QB (and it's not Heinecke).   We don't even have to be 1 of the teams for there to be 5...

I heard yesterday that as many as 16 teams have called Detroit to inquire. By my best guess, those 16 have to be NE, NYJ, MIA, JAX, HOU, IND, DEN, LV, SF, LAR, CHI, NO, CAR, WSH, NYG, and PHI. 

13 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I heard yesterday that as many as 16 teams have called Detroit to inquire. By my best guess, those 16 have to be NE, NYJ, MIA, JAX, HOU, IND, DEN, LV, SF, LAR, CHI, NO, CAR, WSH, NYG, and PHI. 

HOU.....lol.  

You really can't make **** like that up.

PS - I don't see NYJ/MIA as the teams seriously in on Stafford.   The problem is that Stafford's deadline to decide is likely well ahead of Watson's.   Also don't see JAX at all (those 3 might be interested in Watson, however, given he's 25).   SF/IND/DEN/LV/NE/CHI would.   Those 3 are either getting Watson, sticking with their guy, or delving into the top 3 Rd1 QB market. 

PIT would love to get int the mix, but DET would have take Ben's contract (not happening).  PHI same with Wentz (but you included them).  LAR same situation with Goff.   NO doesn't have the cap space and can't send a contract back that DET would consider. 

Edited by Broncofan

19 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

LOL.

Andy Dalton would be a nice veteran backup and mentor for Drew, not a starter. Dallas won 4 games this year with Dalton as the starter and he had a superior surrounding cast and an easier schedule than we did. 

Dallas was like 28 the on defense though 

27th in passing tds allowed

25 th in rushing tds.  

31 in rush yards I don't thing his record bashing us completely fair 

26 minutes ago, Zukhyubern said:

I'm sorry man but your posts make zero sense. You basically have been saying that Stafford is barely mediocre and will do nothing to lift all boats in this franchise and now you're advocating for Andy Dalton? Just cuz the price is cheap does not mean it's worth it..

Sometimes you've gotta swing for the fences and take risks and it's about time we had an actual leader at QB, not just another journeyman or subpar young guy. 

I never said Stafford was mediocre I think he's good I just don't know how good losing two premium picks when our defense is aging and struggles with turnovers.

And I don't think Stafford has 5 years left . Was battling injuries the last two years .

I am torn between who I would want in Stafford or Watson.  I would think the Texans would want to deal with the Broncos on the trade for Watson, because at 1.9, the Texans can still land someone like Trey Lance or Mac Jones to build around.  Plus, you can always throw in Fant (and the Broncos still have Albert O, who I thought looked more dynamic than Fant at TE), plus I guess another 1st next year (if we have Watson that pick next year might not look so great).  

25 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I am torn between who I would want in Stafford or Watson.  I would think the Texans would want to deal with the Broncos on the trade for Watson, because at 1.9, the Texans can still land someone like Trey Lance or Mac Jones to build around.  Plus, you can always throw in Fant (and the Broncos still have Albert O, who I thought looked more dynamic than Fant at TE), plus I guess another 1st next year (if we have Watson that pick next year might not look so great).  

The difference with Watson & Stafford - we are co-favorites if we are willing to give up 1.9 for Stafford.

We aren't even a top 3 team in terms of ammo if we want Watson.   The price for us likely begins with 3 1sts and a young rookie contract player like Fant or Jeudy.   And it's probably *still* not enough.

Any team would want Watson over Stafford, price notwithstanding - the age-25 vs 33, and the fact Watson is at the elite tier, makes it a no-brainer.   But beyond the significant price difference, Watson also has to approve the trade, and teams like NYJ/MIA now apparently on the Watson-approved list, we're not just outgunned, we're not even in the main room having the conversation.    

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The difference with Watson & Stafford - we are co-favorites if we are willing to give up 1.9 for Stafford.

We aren't even a top 3 team in terms of ammo if we want Watson.   The price for us likely begins with 3 1sts and a young rookie contract player like Fant or Jeudy.   And it's probably *still* not enough.

Any team would want Watson over Stafford, price notwithstanding - the age-25 vs 33, and the fact Watson is at the elite tier, makes it a no-brainer.   But beyond the significant price difference, Watson also has to approve the trade, and teams like NYJ/MIA now apparently on the Watson-approved list, we're not just outgunned, we're not even in the main room having the conversation.    

I guess if Houston and make a trade with the Jets so they can get Fields or Wilson, that makes the most sense to me.