What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

1 hour ago, grizmo78 said:

We keep talking about things from the Houston perspective, of who can offer the best package, but we don't look at it from other team's perspectives, specifically the NYJ. Being at the #2 pick, they have the same benefit Houston would, of picking between Fields and Wilson as their next QB. That might lead them to limit how much capital they are willing to move on from to obtain Watson. Ie might prefer Fields with all their picks than losing an additional 2 first rounders+ for Watson. 

Miami on the other hand isn't guaranteed their top 2 QB options in the draft and might be more willing to move on from additional capitol to secure Watson. But, at pick 3, they are guaranteed one of Fields or Wilson, and/or also drafted Tua last year they could feel better about rather than losing additional draft resources. This could limit how much they are willing to offer for Watson as opposed to their alternatives. 

From there, it would be a toss up between Carolina, Denver and SF of who could offer the best package based on the addition of young players to a picks package. All of which don't have the same benefit of NYJ or MIA and could be willing to increase their offer higher.

That's fair, but I think the main point is that NYJ/MIA control Watson's destination (so long as he is OK with playing there).  Both would have to pass to bring the other bidders in play.

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

That's fair, but I think the main point is that NYJ/MIA control Watson's destination (so long as he is OK with playing there).  Both would have to pass to bring the other bidders in play.

I guess the point I was trying to make is while both have the best potential offers (if they wanted to include everything), they also have the least incentive to offer it which essentially would bring other bidders in play. 

NYJ could decide their biggest offer would be #2, 3rd, and 2022 1st.

MIA might decide its #3, a 3rd, Tua, and a 2022 1st. 

Where as, our offer could be #9, 2021 2nd, 2022 1st and 3rd, Sutton, Lock. 

or SF could be #12, 2022 1st, Garoppolo, Bosa. 

Edited by grizmo78

40 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

I guess the point I was trying to make is while both have the best potential offers (if they wanted to include everything), they also have the least incentive to offer it which essentially would bring other bidders in play. 

NYJ could decide their biggest offer would be #2, 3rd, and 2022 1st.

MIA might decide its #3, a 3rd, Tua, and a 2022 1st. 

Where as, our offer could be #9, 2021 2nd, 2022 1st and 3rd, Sutton, Lock. 

or SF could be #12, 2022 1st, Garoppolo, Bosa. 

The Jets seem really weird candidates to go all in, because they're so far away.   IMO the team that’s most likely to beat the field with any offer  is MIA - especially because they have a 2nd first this year.   They could use that to get their 2nd WR.   Or include it.  And then offer 2022 1st for 3 1sts.  

The other wild card for Mia - Tua has a really strong Christian upbringing.  His aunt and uncle are pastors.   Easterby and McNair would value that.   Kinda crazy we’re now adding faith to our HOU QB evaluation but here we are.  

Tua, 1.3 and 2 firsts HOU would do.   Nothing we have matches that.   Only real reason why Mia won’t beat any competitor’s offer (other than NYJ) IMO is if they are 100 percent sold on Tua.   I don’t know how you can be 100 percent - and I say that recognizing 2020 was ahead of his schedule to play at peak form physically from the hip injury.     

Edited by Broncofan

36 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Tua, 1.3 and 2 firsts HOU would do.   Nothing we have matches that.   Only real reason why Mia won’t beat any competitor’s offer (other than NYJ) IMO is if they are 100 percent sold on Tua.   I don’t know how you can be 100 percent - and I say that recognizing 2020 was ahead of his schedule to play at peak form physically from the hip injury. 

What’s the likelihood that HOU holds onto him?

I assume unlikely as the blowup potential of taking him into the season unhappy + the opportunity cost of those NYJ/MIA draft pick packages passing would be daunting.. but is there any chance  (misguided or not) they think time and strategic appeasement could entice him to rethink?

7 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

What’s the likelihood that HOU holds onto him?

I assume unlikely as the blowup potential of taking him into the season unhappy + the opportunity cost of those NYJ/MIA draft pick packages passing would be daunting.. but is there any chance  (misguided or not) they think time and strategic appeasement could entice him to rethink?

Zero chance IMO.  That relationship is broken beyond repair.

Take a read on this, it's eye opening how badly Easterby has run the org into the ground in such a short time.   To me, as long as Easterby is there (and McNair has hitched his train there), Watson's never playing another snap for the Texans.

SI direct link:  https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/16/texans-chaos-deshaun-watson-unhappy-how-jack-easterby-kept-his-job

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Zero chance IMO.  That relationship is broken beyond repair.

Take a read on this, it's eye opening how badly Easterby has run the org into the ground in such a short time.   To me, as long as Easterby is there (and McNair has hitched his train there), Watson's never playing another snap for the Texans.

Complete agreement if the decision were entirely up to Watson - and you're probably right. Though HOU has shown themselves to defy common wisdom at every turn.. wonder if that would lead them to think the relationship can be salvaged. 

13 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Houston came out and said there is no way they trade him. We'll see who budges first.

Actually, Caserio said 2 things; first the opening statement:

Then literally in the same presser, when asked directly on Watson:

The first statement is necessary by default - the second isn't at all, and it's stated with the direct knowledge Watson has requested a trade.   It's not hard to see what's happening here.

HOU is posturing like they have to - especially since Watson has a no-trade clause that he has to waive to make a trade happen.  They can't look eager to trade him, that hurts them more.   They also have him under contract, which allows them to posture this way - but if Watson is done playing in HOU, they will eventually trade him - it's just a matter of how long it takes, and how ugly it gets.

Vegas, who is well aware of this - have 10 teams listed on Watson's 2021 team to start Week 1 - and HOU doesn't make it.  Ouch.

Edited by Broncofan

15 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Actually, Caserio said 2 things; first the opening statement:

Then literally in the same presser, when asked directly on Watson:

The first statement is necessary by default - the second isn't at all, and it's stated with the direct knowledge Watson has requested a trade.   It's not hard to see what's happening here.

HOU is posturing like they have to - especially since Watson has a no-trade clause that he has to waive to make a trade happen.  They can't look eager to trade him, that hurts them more.   They also have him under contract, which allows them to posture this way - but if Watson is done playing in HOU, they will eventually trade him - it's just a matter of how long it takes, and how ugly it gets.

Vegas, who is well aware of this - have 10 teams listed on Watson's 2021 team to start Week 1 - and HOU doesn't make it.  Ouch.

Yeah I read into it the same way they're trading him

13 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Woody Paige

@woodypaige

What I was told days ago by a trusted NFL source was Watson had zero interest in Denver and Stafford wanted warm weather. Someone should tell him Denver has 300 days of sunshine. Don’t mention the other 65.

Think we can squash the pipe dreams

Eh... hard to trust anything right now. Earlier today Dan Sileo said he is hearing Watsons preferences are 1.) Mia 2.) jets 3.) 49ers 4.) Broncos 5.) Panthers 

1 hour ago, grizmo78 said:

Eh... hard to trust anything right now. Earlier today Dan Sileo said he is hearing Watsons preferences are 1.) Mia 2.) jets 3.) 49ers 4.) Broncos 5.) Panthers 

The Stafford warm climate I totally buy he bought a house in Cali San Francisco and The Rams are making the most noise maybe it's to up the offer from San Francisco ( Rams report.)

Heck for all the love Brady gets he definitely chose a warm weather destination for a reason I believe. And Woody also referenced in wanting to play for a dome or warm weather team if he decides to leave Atlanta.

Man, I don't think I ever personally respected Elway enough for luring Manning to Denver and the cold climate. He truly sold that kinda remarkable.

10 hours ago, broncosfan07 said:

No doubt but for that kind of salary it’s not that crippling to the future of the team. 

So, the points been made by several posters, I don't think the money is the obstacle. It's the draft picks. Same with Stafford.