What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

8 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Tua not better than Lock?  I’ve been a bit of a lock defender, but that’s awfully tough to compute. Stats certainly don’t show that.  All the excuses that people give Lock (no off-season, etc ) apply to Tua . He was coming back from serious injury and this was expected to be a red-shirt year.  Pretty sure there are about 32 GM’s that would put Tua ahead of Lock.  Amazing to me how fast everyone has turned on a player who was supposed to be sitting through a red-shirt year after injury.

Tua has untapped potential for sure, but he was really bad. Tua's Y/A was worse than Lock's. Tua is barely better in ANY/A. At the very least Tua is not worth our 1st + Lock. Not even close.

26 minutes ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

Tua has untapped potential for sure, but he was really bad. Tua's Y/A was worse than Lock's. Tua is barely better in ANY/A. At the very least Tua is not worth our 1st + Lock. Not even close.

I think Lock has more arm talent but it's wasn't 100 percent

1 hour ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

Didn’t suggest first plus Lock.  Just 1.9, for a QB that went - what 1.5/1.6 the year before? That should now be fully healthy, that has 4 years of rookie cost control left?  If they are not sold on Lock (I would give him 1 more year, but...), and they lose out on Stanford, is it that much worse than throwing this years first and next years first and whatever to trade up for Wilson or Fields?  

as I said, I’d go 1 more year with Lock.  And I’d have noth8ng against a reasonable Stafford  trade.  But if Paton doesn’t believe in Lock, and misses out on Stafford, what is plan C?  

16 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Didn’t suggest first plus Lock.  Just 1.9, for a QB that went - what 1.5/1.6 the year before? That should now be fully healthy, that has 4 years of rookie cost control left?  If they are not sold on Lock (I would give him 1 more year, but...), and they lose out on Stanford, is it that much worse than throwing this years first and next years first and whatever to trade up for Wilson or Fields?  

as I said, I’d go 1 more year with Lock.  And I’d have noth8ng against a reasonable Stafford  trade.  But if Paton doesn’t believe in Lock, and misses out on Stafford, what is plan C?  

I think fans over estimate the fact that Paton is fresh here and is here for the long haul. He has nothing to do with our QB woes since Manning. We as fans are pressing for a Qb because it's been so long since we had one. But I have a feeling Paton will be patient. He may be aggressive in some aspects but QB it seems like the most patient gms have the most success. Chargers and Herbert come to mind.Chiefs fell in love with Mahomes but they were pretty patient overall I mean let's be real we all knew that team reach their peak with Smith a couple of years prior to trading up for Mahomes.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Well even a first is too much. My view is that if we can't get a significant upgrade (top 15ish QB), we might as well keep Lock. 

If Paton is ready to give up on Lock, he can take the best QB available (Trask?), trading up a couple spots if need be.

For me it's:

1. Get Stafford or Watson.
2. Get Wilson/Fields if available.
3. Keep Lock.

I think we'll end up with option #3. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

Well even a first is too much. My view is that if we can't get a significant upgrade (top 15ish QB), we might as well keep Lock. 

If Paton is ready to give up on Lock, he can take the best QB available (Trask?), trading up a couple spots if need be.

For me it's:

3. Keep Lock.

I'm more intrigued by Mac Wilson than Tua tbh he's a wild card. I heard he's very good at processing which Tua lacks not injury related btw, he's also very accurate, and is good at anticaptoty throws giving the guys ability to catch a rack up yac. Doesn't have that elite arm or athleticis though.

Now, odds are he's just a bus driver but we all thought the same thing about Dak and I think I've been proven wrong personally I thought he was top 16 qb. He's probably closer to top 8 though.

Now am I sold on Mac absolutely not Haven't done enough digging but I hope Denver does their due diligence. I really don't think you need a top 5 qb to perform with these weapons a great bus driver may be all we need. We'll see.

1 hour ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

For me it's:

3. Keep Lock.

That's the only option I don't support.    IMO Lance is the iffy pick at 1.9 but he's got the tools & ceiling to at consider it - and then there's nobody else outside of the top 4 QB's that's worth it.   And I don't think any first is worth the guys outside of the top 4, other than the 31-32 pick so they can get the 5th year option.     Mac Jones has the benefit of a supporting cast & OL that made it super easy.     And his arm talent looks very average.    I don't think he's anything but average athletically, so he'd have to have Watson-level intangibles (who for his average arm talent, actually was still well above-average athletically & mobility-wise, but not elite <but whose amazing placement / accuracy as a thrower negated the physical limitations, combined with his elite anticipation and pocket awareness, makes it all thrive>).   Trask not quite as bad physical-profile wise as Jones is, but even more limited as a pocket passer with very average arm skills.

The guys who have rewarded the 1st round picks outside of the top 10 are the guys with mega-ceilings (Jackson, Mahomes), or whose skills & intangibles gave a much higher ceiling (Watson).    Sadly, there's no one outside of the top 4 in this class who fits the bill.   Lance at least fits that, but he's going to be questionable at 1.9, and he could very well be gone.   If the top 4 go before we pick (assuming we still have it), there's no viable QB option - the dropoff is that steep.  Believe me, I wish there were.  

Stafford/Watson, move up to get a top 3-4 QB (4th being the debatable option) are the 2 options to change IMO.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm more intrigued by Mac Wilson than Tua tbh he's a wild card. I heard he's very good at processing which Tua lacks not injury related btw, he's also very accurate, and is good at anticaptoty throws giving the guys ability to catch a rack up yac. Doesn't have that elite arm or athleticis though.

Now, odds are he's just a bus driver but we all thought the same thing about Dak and I think I've been proven wrong personally I thought he was top 16 qb. He's probably closer to top 8 though.

Now am I sold on Mac absolutely not Haven't done enough digging but I hope Denver does their due diligence. I really don't think you need a top 5 qb to perform with these weapons a great bus driver may be all we need. We'll see.

Odds are good Wilson is gone at 2, almost certainly by 4. Y’ll willing to give up what it’ll take to get to 3?