What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

7 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Wonder how Detroit eating Goff's contract had to do with the compensation. It's Brock Osweiler Esque no?

Absolutely part of the deal.  But also because it’s a 2022 & 2023 1st for LAR.   They could both be in the 28+ range.  That’s a W for LAR.  Or LAR misses playoffs / eliminated in WC weekend.   Then it’s likely a W for Detroit.  

Don’t think either Den or SF offered their 1.9 or 1.12 for Stafford.  That probably would have done it.    But I can rest easy it wasn’t a buy low price that got Stafford.   My hunch is that history will probably back the Rams with the first outcome.  

• Like 1

"With the fractures in Stafford's back, surgery is not considered an option. The injuries are potentially chronic, and Stafford knows he could be dealing with the pain that he has had that dates back to last season for years to come.

For then to give up that for Stafford when his back issues may be chronic. Jared Goff must be way worse than even anyone thought.

46 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

If 1.9 would’ve done it I’m bummed we didn’t pull the trigger

It really comes down to where LAR finishes.  If they miss playoffs 2x then their package, even waiting a year, probably is better.   

But if they go deep in the playoffs 2x then 1.9 this year is far more valuable, even with a 3rd.  And that’s before you factor Goff’s contract risk.   

I don’t think Paton offered it though.   At least not 1.9 & Lock.  Which I would have signed off (provided you believe you were getting 4-5 peak years) given you are now making the commit to Stafford.   Time will tell how that works out.   Perhaps the health issues were seen as too much of a risk.   I’ll never criticize that perspective although I wish a more detailed medical exam would have been possible - but likely not in this Covid offseason.  

Edited by Broncofan

A little relieved tbh. I've always been on team "draft a qb" with 1.9 but, unless one of fields/wilson drop (not happening...) then it's probably not as valuable as Stafford straight up. Lance is a project that, while he could become a special QB, more than likely busts. And while 5 cheap years of a Parsons/Farley/Surtain wouldn't hurt, it definitely wouldn't translate as much as Stafford in the win column.

3 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

So, it's a timing thing. The Rams have a great defense,#1 in almost every meaningful category. They figure Stafford will elevate their offense enough to get them a SB ring. They're taking a shot at a short window.

Hard to fault the logic. Giving up the draft picks their window will close in three years. Take it while you can.

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah no thanks. I’m happy rolling with Drew for another year to see what happens. 

Hey bud, sorry I didn't get back to you. Lost the internet for a couple of days. Anyway, you'd asked if Stafford was a "hired gun".

Absolutely! I also think he went to one of the two (Indy) best spots he could have gone. A good argument can be made that both teams are just a QB away. If we were in their position, solid roster, great defense and just a QB away I'd have been for it. IMO though, we're not. Timing and situation are just a huge part of the equation.

That said, I'd love to see Denver take a run at Fitz. He'd be a great mentor, solid backup and an adult presence in the QB room. 

• Like 1

Feels like the most likely scenario now is that we enter the season with Lock as the starter but with an upgraded backup QB who has a decent amount of starting experience. This would mean that Lock has a much shorter leash than he had in 2020.

Watson is a pipe dream, but we simply don’t have the ammo to get it done compared to the Dolphins or Jets. I also don’t see us selling the farm to trade into the top 4-5 picks for Fields or Zach Wilson.

I think Fitzpatrick, Dalton or Tyrod Taylor are pretty likely options. Trubisky or Brissett would be the upside play. 

On 1/26/2021 at 3:53 PM, Broncofan said:

The other part - Stafford made the playoffs 3x from 2011-15.   

DET hasn't been in the playoffs since then.  And before then, the last time they made the playoffs.....1999.   Last time they won a playoff game....1991.  So Barry Sanders won 1 playoff game in his career, as context.  Megatron never won one.  Maybe it's team, not the individual player (I get the QB is the most influential guy, but that's ridiculous levels of futility that goes beyond 1 guy).

The only QB that's led that org to playoffs in over 20 years.

Horrific coaching.

I'd like to point out that the HC during the 2 of the playoff berths was Jim Caldwell, with 2 playoff appearances in 4 yrs. 

And he's the BEST HC Stafford has had. Stafford has been an Archie Manning-like "franchise QB without a franchise," to steal Bum Phillips' quote. 

• Like 2

I guess we gotta role with Lock, a veteran, and perhaps a draft pick?  

I am hoping all of this is leading to the Broncos kind of being like the 90s Cowboys who sucked for a bit until the young guys figured it all out, and then they were nearly impossible to beat there for awhile.