What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

Fun aside: I played high school football in Marin and my little brother sacked Goff back in the day. I also played against Khalil Bell (not surprised if anyone doesn’t remember him 😉) Goff and Bell both played for the evil private catholic school that could recruit so I’ve always been tempted to root against him but watching him play for the Rams I can’t help but like him. I’m hoping he can still make something of the rest of his career. 

Edited by Zukhyubern

2 hours ago, paul-mac said:

I’m really warming to the idea of trading for Sam Darnold. In fact, I see him as the next Tannehill. 

You really want to trade for Sam Darnold ?

Even the Jets don't think he's their future. They prefer to pick a rookie if they don't have Watson.
in season 3 Darnold has NEVER shown a single performance worth hoping for. At least Drew Lock showed a bit of it. He lacks consistency, but Darnold's only consistency is mediocrity.
In 2018 57.7% 17Tds 15 Int
In 2019 61.9% 19 Tds 13 int
In 2020 59.6% 9 Tds 11 Int
In addition if Watson does not finish in NY, the Jets will keep him in the back up of the rookie (wilson?) Or then he will have to pay a future 1st round.
There remains a year of contract at Fangio so 1 year at Lock to show his possibilities otherwise all these little people will leave and Paton will rebuild with HIS coach and HIS QB

1 hour ago, French Fan said:

Even the Jets don't think he's their future. They prefer to pick a rookie if they don't have Watson.
in season 3 Darnold has NEVER shown a single performance worth hoping for. At least Drew Lock showed a bit of it. He lacks consistency, but Darnold's only consistency is mediocrity.
In addition if Watson does not finish in NY, the Jets will keep him in the back up of the rookie (wilson?) Or then he will have to pay a future 1st round.
There remains a year of contract at Fangio so 1 year at Lock to show his possibilities otherwise all these little people will leave and Paton will rebuild with HIS coach and HIS QB

Go back and watch Darnold’s college tape. The only reason he hasn’t been good in the pro’s is because he’s been coached by Adam Gase who’s been proven to kill the careers of any QB he coaches, apart from Peyton Manning when he didn’t have any real power and was just a glorified waterboy.

Tannehill’s career went from strength to strength when he got away from Gase and got some proper coaching and I honestly expect Darnold to be the same. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, French Fan said:

Everything recently out of NYJ has been that they plan to keep SD at QB and look to trade back or take the best available non-QB. Smokescreen? Maybe, but I don’t expect that Darnold will be kept if they go QB at 1.2. He’s an asset w/ one more cost controlled year - you can’t allow that asset to spoil its value w/o maximizing the return - especially if you’re spending that much draft capital on another QB. You either keep Darnold as the guy in 2021 or you trade him. It seems like they may hold on to him, if not I’d hope DEN is interested at a modest price bc I think it’s a true buy low opportunity on a true (and VERY young) R1 QB from a couple years ago.

20 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I think with Dalton...I would assume Dalton would think he is the starter and would prepare as so, where Fitz knows his place...if you want to push Drew, I would say go with Dalton who could take his job,  

If Dalton is in a position to take Drew's job, then we might as well roll the dice with Taysom Hill next year.

I’m genuinely curious what the FO thinks a Dalton/Foles/Fitz signing accomplishes. If Drew works out, great -wasted $ that could’ve gone elsewhere. If Drew doesn’t work out, they’re just ensuring we don’t bottom out into 2022 QB draft territory? They just provide a higher floor for the Drew Lock 2022 experiment - which isn’t even necessarily a good thing. We need Drew to either a) be the guy or b) flame out egregiously so we’re not picking in the middle of the first next year. A 6-8 win season is worst case scenario unless Drew goes up two levels.

• Like 2

Lock hasn't had any competition since he drafted - 

2019 - Bradley Allen

2020 - Jeff Driskel 

He now needs someone biting at his rear-end to get him to grow up a bit and start playing as an NFL calibre QB (if he is capable). Bringing in Dalton would do that. 

Now - having Dalton on the roster could push the Broncos down the draft order - but that can't be a consideration - I am against tanking. But having Dalton on the roster could also push Lock to proving he can do the job - in which case we can spend draft capital on other pieces. If Lock is a bust then Paton has to figure out another way of finding a QB.

7 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

But having Dalton on the roster could also push Lock to proving he can do the job - in which case we can spend draft capital on other pieces. If Lock is a bust then Paton has to figure out another way of finding a QB.

Why does he need more pushing? He’s one meh season away from holding a clipboard indefinitely