What to do at QB?

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

1 hour ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

So apparently the Lions wanted "multiple picks, Drew Lock, Jerry Jeudy, and another player" for Stafford. Yikes. At the very last it shows that Paton will actively seek to improve the team, but not by mortgaging the future.

Shows to me that DET was going to do right by Stafford unless they got 140 cents on the dollar in return. LAR’s offer was significantly weaker than 1.9 + Lock, in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Shows to me that DET was going to do right by Stafford unless they got 140 cents on the dollar in return. LAR’s offer was significantly weaker than 1.9 + Lock, in my opinion.

Apparently Paton was asking for 2.9 back.   That devalues our offer significantly. 

Carolina apparently offered 1.8 & a late round pick.   WFT offered 1.19 & 3.19.   Its fair to say taking the LAR picks plus Goff’s contract is a calculated risk comparex to those 2 offers. 

Edited by Broncofan

Klis reported to 104.3 today that DEN, CAR, NYJ & MIA have been put on the list that HOU can talk to.   No deals coming soon but Watson’s no-trade clause makes this a much smaller field (more teams obv can make this list).  

We are completely outgunned pick-capital wise.   But HOU beat reporter McClain’s framework of young players (emphasis on D) makes DEN able to compete.   @ET80 confirms the HOU media sees DEN as a legit match.   The Q of course is price.   But things have gotten interesting again.  

• Like 2
42 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Klis reported to 104.3 today that DEN, CAR, NYJ & MIA have been put on the list that HOU can talk to.   No deals coming soon but Watson’s no-trade clause makes this a much smaller field (more teams obv can make this list).  

This was what the media in Houston reported today - the speculation is that the following would be required:

1.9, 2021

1st 2022

1st 2023

TE Noah Fant

OLB Bradley Chubb

QB Drew Lock

This way, the Texans could fortify a defense with 1.9 (plus picks gained from trading JJ Watt and Laremy Tunsil) and let Lock get one last audition as a starting QB. If Lock couldn't get it done, you have foundational pieces on defense and a high pick (perhaps 1.1) in 2022 from the Texans own record to pick up Sam Howell or Spencer Rattler. Picks from there on out could be used to build up the offense for the rookie (Tunsil replacement, eventual replacement for Brandin Cooks, etc).

I don't like the trade because WHY THE HELL WOULD ANYONE WANT TO TRADE DESHAUN WATSON but I have to admit - this wouldn't be the worst way to rebuild from the ground up. 

10 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This was what the media in Houston reported today - the speculation is that the following would be required:

1.9, 2021

1st 2022

1st 2023

TE Noah Fant

OLB Bradley Chubb

QB Drew Lock

This way, the Texans could fortify a defense with 1.9 (plus picks gained from trading JJ Watt and Laremy Tunsil) and let Lock get one last audition as a starting QB. If Lock couldn't get it done, you have foundational pieces on defense and a high pick (perhaps 1.1) in 2022 from the Texans own record to pick up Sam Howell or Spencer Rattler. Picks from there on out could be used to build up the offense for the rookie (Tunsil replacement, eventual replacement for Brandin Cooks, etc).

I don't like the trade because WHY THE HELL WOULD ANYONE WANT TO TRADE DESHAUN WATSON but I have to admit - this wouldn't be the worst way to rebuild from the ground up. 

I suspect DEN would probably balk at the 3 firsts AND 3 young players.   2 firsts and 3 young players (plus a 2nd), or 3 firsts and 2 young guys.    I would favor Sutton if it increased the player value to move to a 2nd (and play up Sutton's spirituality a ton - Easterby would eat that **** up for bogus reasons, but the Lock - Sutton connection would be a real football reason to consider that). 

Personally, I'm not going to kill a deal if that's the price, but I suspect that's where Paton is coming from (3 players plus 2 firsts, with Day 2 picks available, or 2 players / 3 1sts).   Paton apparently asked for DET's 2.9 back when he offered 1.9 & Lock, which obviously didn't match up with CAR's 1.8 or WFT 1.19 & 3.19, or LAR's offer (although LAR's offer has the widest range in value, obviously, given we don't know where it lands).   He must have realized when CAR / WFT made their bids, it wasn't going to happen.

I'd be surprised if Paton said OK, 3 firsts and 3 rookie-contract guys.  But I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over it.  Ironically, I think if we only kept it to 2022 1st & 2021 2nd, and left 2023 out of it, we'd have  funny contention curve - with a 4th place schedule and the AFCN / NFCE & DET / NYJ / JAX as our extra teams (DET being game #17), our chances at a 10-7 / 11-6 season wouldn't be crazy.   I think our lack of D depth would hurt us in 2022, though - but we'd likely be able to bounce back in 2023/24 - but the more picks we push away, the harder it is to complete the team build. 

In a perfect world, this would have happened next year - but then again, none of the 3 guys I mentioned (Sutton instead of Fant) would be in their rookie deals, either.  

As an aside - be prepared to have at least 1/3 of the posters here be firmly against the deal - it's a big price.   And we're more likely 1 full offseason where we'd normally start seeing the window so open it makes obvious sense to do it.  Then again, next offseason, we're clearly not getting an opportunity to do this, and won't likely have 1.9 (and 2.8), either.

Edited by Broncofan
8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

As an aside - be prepared to have at least 1/3 of the posters here be firmly against the deal - it's a big price. 

I'm firmly in agreement with them - albeit on the other side of the transaction. 

TV personality/Former Houston radio host Nick Wright said that the going price for Deshaun Watson should be "every first round pick for as long as Watson is on the roster" and that's what I'd want for him. Every single first round pick, from age 25-37 (or whenever you cut or trade him).

I'm irrational on this one. Guys like Watson don't come around often, so you don't trade him away unless you can guarentee you can replace his value entirety, and that might take the length of his career to accomplish.

(Disclaimer - I know he's not going for 10+ FRPs. Like I said, I'm irrational)

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'm firmly in agreement with them - albeit on the other side of the transaction. 

TV personality/Former Houston radio host Nick Wright said that the going price for Deshaun Watson should be "every first round pick for as long as Watson is on the roster" and that's what I'd want for him.

I'm irrational on this one. Guys like Watson don't come around often, so you don't trade him away unless you can guarentee you can replace his value in some capacity.

I get it - like I said, I'd probably swap Fant for Sutton, drop from 2023 1st to 2021 2nd, and see where that leads me, but the price isn't crazy for a 25 year old already-elite QB.  Just saying, be prepared for what you'll read in the next few pages - it's going to be far from unanimous. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2
Just now, Broncofan said:

I get it - just saying, be prepared for what you'll read in the next few pages.   

I Moderate Gen. Nothing bothers me.

• Like 2

It's times like these where I really wish we had previously traded Von Miller like people had suggested (I think it was two seasons ago?). Woulda at least gotten one 1st rounder but maybe 2 whereas now he is in that waiver danger realm due to his off-field issues. I doubt teams like Houston would even want him in a trade, despite what ET is saying about them valuing building defense.

Edited by Dbrog24
  • Like 1
37 minutes ago, ET80 said:

1.9, 2021

1st 2022

1st 2023

TE Noah Fant

OLB Bradley Chubb

QB Drew Lock

This... is something I could get behind. Fant is awesome but, in the limited time that Albert O had last year, I thought he was just as dynamic, just had drop issues. Chubb is a solid Robin but certainly not an elite pass rusher and probably valued at about a 2nd right now straight up. The third first round pick stings a little but a top 5, 25 year old franchise QB is worth it imo.

As for swapping Courtland with Fant, I think that only hurts our cause seeing as 1)He's coming off an ACL tear after (with only one year of good production) and 2) He's only got one more year left on his contract where as Fant has 3.

1 hour ago, rcpbawler said:

This... is something I could get behind. Fant is awesome but, in the limited time that Albert O had last year, I thought he was just as dynamic, just had drop issues. Chubb is a solid Robin but certainly not an elite pass rusher and probably valued at about a 2nd right now straight up. The third first round pick stings a little but a top 5, 25 year old franchise QB is worth it imo.

As for swapping Courtland with Fant, I think that only hurts our cause seeing as 1)He's coming off an ACL tear after (with only one year of good production) and 2) He's only got one more year left on his contract where as Fant has 3.

You know that, I know that - but finding the replacement for Nuk Hopkins, and of course, the spirituality side, and the Lock-Sutton known chemistry, well stranger things have happened (although it was certainly a lot easier to get HOU to take less-than-perceived value back with BOB as GM/HC lol, Easterby clearly has 1 weakness to exploit).   

Honestly, that alone is why I'd be fine with that even if it didn't change the price (but that's also the calculus of having Jeudy, Hamler and then Patrick becomes an easy retain past his RFA 2021 year, too - Patrick is only 85 percent of what Sutton can do, but  still be a lot cheaper than Sutton after 2021, too).

Edited by Broncofan

I’d struggle with giving up that much for 1 player even if it’s someone as good as Watson.   But it’s probably the right call honestly, assuming all the guys on offense take a step forward naturally and then Watson elevating everyone the offense should be potent  

without Chubb we would really need Von to come back healthy.  I trust Vic to coach up the D but it’s gonna have to be improved with mid round guys for a long time in this scenario.  

I’m tired of getting whipped by the Chiefs so I think I’d pull the trigger but damn would it sting.   

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Dbrog24 said:

It's times like these where I really wish we had previously traded Von Miller like people had suggested (I think it was two seasons ago?). Woulda at least gotten one 1st rounder but maybe 2 whereas now he is in that waiver danger realm due to his off-field issues. I doubt teams like Houston would even want him in a trade, despite what ET is saying about them valuing building defense.

HOU rightfully wants young players.   That's not Von.    Von would likely be extended to give him that security (and why he wouldn't agree to a straight pay cut), and replace Chubb 2020's production.   As long as he's healthy, I'm actually confident Von can do that for 2-3 more years - not because I think Von stays at his peak form pre-injury, but because Chubb's not an alpha.   

Once Chubb stops being cheap, a lot of his value goes away compared to Von (sooner or later of course Von hits the cliff, though, the question is when - I wasn't on board with extending Von before, but if Chubb were to go, then I'm ok for 2022-23 assuming he's priced accordingly, with 2023 having no guaranteed salary $ at all).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

I’m on board with what @Broncofan is putting down.

My offer would look something like: 2021 1st and 2nd

2022 1st and 3rd 

Lock, Sutton, Chubb. 

would probably ask for something like a 5th back next year too. 

On our end, we can replace Sutton with Juju or Allen Robinson or Golladay or Godwin. There are lots of really good WRs in FA. 

I loved how Paton valued Stafford honestly thought it was fair. Rams are going for broke they really didn't have many options that contract was terrible. That Goff Mcvay relationship deteriorated faster than I could ever imagine. Thought it was odd how non committed they were like Walford was Kurt Warner or something would love to know what happened there.