What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Given how uncertain the vet market is, and who drafts QB, it wouldn’t surprise me to see the caretaker market stay cold until after Draft Day.   Dalton didn’t sign until the week after Draft; Cam & Winston much later.  

There are so many dominoes that fall after the draft - the team that signs a vet early is likely paying well-above market compared to post-draft.   It’s shaping up to be one of the most fascinating offseasons for QB carousel (albeit with no big star power but more volume) in a while.   So many different scenarios for different teams (other than JAX lol).  

When your two main options at QB both include a competent vet being able to compete with a young guy, I think you can be aggressive about getting a Fitz or Dalton or Winston before the draft. Do we really see the Lions moving on from Stafford for anything but a ransom? Matt Ryan’s contract can’t be moved until next offseason, and the same is probably true for Carson Wentz. Jimmy Garopollo sucks. I can’t see the Raiders being motivated to move Carr to play Mariota. I don’t see a market developing for established (current) starters, they’re gonna stay put. 

Moral of the story is go get Fitz or Dalton, and they’re either gonna compete with Lock, or play until the rookie’s ready. 

• Like 1

I wonder what Alex Smith's story is right now?  Is he available next year.  That's a pick-up worth entertaining, and letting Lock learn behind him.  Because I don't know of another QB in the league who protects the ball better than Alex, and he is a willing mentor.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I wonder what Alex Smith's story is right now?  Is he available next year.  That's a pick-up worth entertaining, and letting Lock learn behind him.  Because I don't know of another QB in the league who protects the ball better than Alex, and he is a willing mentor.  

Would certainly be a good pick up, but I can’t see Washington letting him go, for the same reason. That’s actually a spot that would make a lot of sense for Lock, if we can get Wilson or Fields. The top QB’s in the draft will be out of WFT’s reach, so they should be looking at some lower cost options (eg. Lock, Darnold, mid-round pick) as their potential QBOTF. 

34 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Would certainly be a good pick up, but I can’t see Washington letting him go, for the same reason. That’s actually a spot that would make a lot of sense for Lock, if we can get Wilson or Fields. The top QB’s in the draft will be out of WFT’s reach, so they should be looking at some lower cost options (eg. Lock, Darnold, mid-round pick) as their potential QBOTF. 

I would see what a trade for Alex would look like.  I think Alex Smith with the weapons on offense the Broncos have, along with the defense, I think Alex gets the Broncos to the playoffs, while letting the Broncos groom a young QB behind him whether that is Drew Lock, or someone they draft.  Plus, it gives the organization time to figure things out with the sale of the team, while keeping us relevant.  

Yeah, I'd make this move all day if Washington will listen to trades...AND, Washington has been a historically great trade partner for the Broncos.  

Alex Smith’s salary is 40M/2.   Sorry but for a caretaker that’s a terrible investment.   

More importantly - what we have on O you want a guy who can take what’s there but also find the intermediate - deep route guy.   It’s why I prefer the Winston / Fitz vet because you have that skill set.   Check down guys are easy to find, but seldom can push the ball downfield.    That’s Smith in a nutshell. 

WFT wins they won’t be in draft position, but even if they lose they have only have a top 12-15 pick.     That alone makes Smith moving unlikely - but he doesn’t bring what Shurmur’s O looks for.    Add in the price it’s a bad fit.  

Edited by Broncofan

Yeah, what Shurmur wants to do, while still versed in WCO terminology, in a lot of ways closer resembles the Coryell offensive lineage in the way it emphasizes longer developing routes + holding the ball. A bigger framed QB who can absorb some hits in the pocket with either a big arm or an aggressive mindset is really ideal. In theory that should be ideal for Drew but it sure hasn’t played out that way.

On 12/28/2020 at 11:37 PM, Broncofan said:

Everyone would love Stafford in DEN.  No argument.  But it doesn't seem realistic that DET is trading him.   The new GM isn't likely going to deal a very affordably priced Stafford, they have so many other holes to fix.   The Fords love him too - and their draft position doesn't seem

I don't get the Stafford hype at all tbh I mean he has not been healthy the last two seasons. I have more confidence in Drew turning it around with a full off-season and a year in the system then in Stafford's ability to stay healthy from here on out. I just think he's breaking down

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I don't get the Stafford hype at all tbh I mean he has not been healthy the last two seasons. I have more confidence in Drew turning it around with a full off-season and a year in the system then in Stafford's ability to stay healthy from here on out. I just think he's breaking down

Stafford missed half of last season. The only other games he’s missed since becoming the starter were in 2010. And even if he has been nicked up this season, he’s still been solid average, which is a gigantic improvement over Lock.

So Melvin Gordon was asked about Drew Lock today and had some interesting comments.

Said he has the physical part, but needs the mental.  What was most interesting is he said he needs to believe more in himself.  

Many Denver fans and posters in this forum argue his biggest strength is his confidence.   We obviously aren’t able to interview and really get to know a player, so these comments from a teammate are interesting.

7 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Stafford missed half of last season. The only other games he’s missed since becoming the starter were in 2010. And even if he has been nicked up this season, he’s still been solid average, which is a gigantic improvement over Lock.

I agree he's an upgrade the injuries towards the end of the last two years has to be concerning tho I know he has been a plug and play before that

1 minute ago, germ-x said:

So Melvin Gordon was asked about Drew Lock today and had some interesting comments.

Said he has the physical part, but needs the mental.  What was most interesting is he said he needs to believe more in himself.  

Many Denver fans and posters in this forum argue his biggest strength is his confidence.   We obviously aren’t able to interview and really get to know a player, so these comments from a teammate are interesting.

I hope Drew believes in himself more than Melvin does using Uber lol

28 minutes ago, Orangecrush151 said:

Drew has had different ocs constantly.. an off-season that wasn’t really an off-season. Like give this dude some continuity and let him work with everyone in an actual off-season and see what he can do. We win last week if jeudy holds onto balls. Like it’s not all on drew man...

Well, that's why the FO doesn't have QB Rd1 as plan A, for now.    But on the flip side, Lock's lack of progress isn't on Jeudy, or the OC.    Shurmur's schemed up some really good game plans the last 4 games - Jeudy absolutely killed Lock vs. LAC - but it's been Lock as the issue the other games (and limiting the output of the O, not the other way around).    

If this was a 1-2 year college starter, then there would likely be more cause to be hopeful.  But also keep in mind as others have pointed out, Lock was a 46-game starter in the SEC - so the lack of progress in his skills / weaknesses is incredibly worrisome.   It's a major flag.   It doesn't damn him, or close the book - but no way the FO should be going in with only him as their hope.   His arm profile and toolset fits the Shurmur O scheme - it's the processing / recognition skills (plus footwork vs. pressure) that aren't there.    But those are also the skills that often are the obituary to toolsy QB's careers.  

The FO hasn't turned their back on Lock.   If they had, we'd be hearing Rd1 QB is a lock (pun intended).   Pretty clear that's not their plan A.   It's just a matter of how much of plan B they want to invest in (the rookie Rd1 would pretty much be blowing it up, but getting a truly capable vet to compete for the job, it's a no-brainer IMO, provided the FO doesn't have to lay out serious starter-level money).

Edited by Broncofan

On 12/30/2020 at 11:22 AM, Broncofan said:

Alex Smith’s salary is 40M/2.   Sorry but for a caretaker that’s a terrible investment.   

More importantly - what we have on O you want a guy who can take what’s there but also find the intermediate - deep route guy.   It’s why I prefer the Winston / Fitz vet because you have that skill set.   Check down guys are easy to find, but seldom can push the ball downfield.    That’s Smith in a nutshell. 

WFT wins they won’t be in draft position, but even if they lose they have only have a top 12-15 pick.     That alone makes Smith moving unlikely - but he doesn’t bring what Shurmur’s O looks for.    Add in the price it’s a bad fit.  

Washington is the one team that needs to all in on Stafford given the rest of that team.