What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

I think the point is that it's pretty obvious that if we actually had the opportunity to sign Dak long-term and not give up draft capital, we should do it. 

I'm all for giving Lock another chance with a veteran backup but as soon as a better option presents itself, we absolutely should take it. I'm not interested in this team forgoing other options simply for the chance to give Lock more time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah I forgot Murray. It would be debatable for me but he would have to be considered. 

For the rookie contract it's a no brainier I'm also to see how much more Dak receives than a guy like Ryan Tannehill or Derrick Carr. If it's like 10 million more that's a high quality player.

Apparently Denver is on the list (W/ SF and NYJ) of teams Watson is interested in. 

The cost would be monumental, but we have a structure right now that IS a quarterback away from being at least in the conversation for contending. The weapons we have with Watson, my god man. He makes a ton, but is also locked up for years. 

I say go and get it done. I have been AWOL for a while, what do people think the price would be?

30 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Apparently Denver is on the list (W/ SF and NYJ) of teams Watson is interested in. 

The cost would be monumental, but we have a structure right now that IS a quarterback away from being at least in the conversation for contending. The weapons we have with Watson, my god man. He makes a ton, but is also locked up for years. 

I say go and get it done. I have been AWOL for a while, what do people think the price would be?

HOU's leaked that it would likely be at least 2 1sts, 2 2nds, and 2 young players on rookie-level deals - preference towards  D.   Other reports say 3 1sts.

The obvious framework DEN could consider offering is Lock, Chubb (+/- another young player to offset the pick return - Sutton/Fant are the 2 mentioned by reporters) and 1.9, 2.9 and 2022 1st (2022 2nd would be offset by the other player involved).   It has to be young / rookie-contract guys, so the homer-fan takes of "we should offer Von" aren't in play. 

I've been on board for a variety of reasons (esp. if we can market Chubb just before he gets expensive).   Watson is that elite.  And the way contract extensions are being discussed with Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson, Watson's 5/146M deal is actually looking like it will be below market for top-10 level play (and an absolute bargain by 2023 at latest for top 5 QB play).

One thing that's not mentioned today - NYJ may not be as attractive to Watson, but it's hard to believe MIA won't be.  So they probably still control the price buyer-wise.    Obviously HOU has to relent from their "we're not trading him" stance - but their recent moves with coaching staff, and now letting Watt go, sure seems like it's just a stance, rather than a position they'll stick to.   But our chances certainly improve of being top bidder if NYJ isn't a team Watson will approve a trade to.

Here's the original link to the news today - from ESPN's Jeremy Fowler:

Edited by Broncofan

18 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Should be mentioned that it also behooves Watson to keep as many teams in play as possible to maximize his chances of getting dealt. So I’m not really putting much stock in what he’s telling people right now. 

He's gonna have to bend a little I'm sure the organization won't give everything he wants. They have the future of a franchise to worry about what's left of it anyway lol.

6 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

He's gonna have to bend a little I'm sure the organization won't give everything he wants. They have the future of a franchise to worry about what's left of it anyway lol.

The no trade clause helps him a bit but yeah at this stage, he should be singularly focused on winning this game of chicken with the Texans organization. Now is not the time to narrow lists down, you want as many options available to the Texans as possible to make them feel better about the inevitable trade. Then when the Texans realize they need to save face and move on and 10-15 teams are lined up with offers, that’s when you pull out the no trade clause and start working with teams. 

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

The no trade clause helps him a bit but yeah at this stage, he should be singularly focused on winning this game of chicken with the Texans organization. Now is not the time to narrow lists down, you want as many options available to the Texans as possible to make them feel better about the inevitable trade. Then when the Texans realize they need to save face and move on and 10-15 teams are lined up with offers, that’s when you pull out the no trade clause and start working with teams. 

I don't even think it's negotiating with teams I think Texans have a price and will not budge until that's met. And that's when they'll approach him about a no trade clause being removed.

4 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I don't even think it's negotiating with teams I think Texans have a price and will not budge until that's met. And that's when they'll approach him about a no trade clause being removed.

Even if that’s the case, it can only hurt Watson at this stage to leak teams he’s not interested in. Really he should be talking up every team right now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Even if that’s the case, it can only hurt Watson at this stage to leak teams he’s not interested in. Really he should be talking up every team right now. 

Yeah I’m with you here. It’s all conjecture and gossip by journos at this point. I wouldn’t be putting too much stock or merit into these claims, especially that the Jets are suddenly eliminated from contention. 

• Like 1

I've read lots of arguments for going after Watson almost regardless of cost. 

Just my opinion, but I think the chances of Paton making that move are basically zero. This is his first chance at the GM spot. If he fails, possibly (probably?) his last. 

He'd be putting all his eggs in one basket immediately. Talk about going "all in". He doesn't strike me as that kind of guy.

I think the draft is the way to go if you go Qb. The pandemic impacted college football seasons this year may be some value to be had. 

Also with the transition and lack of off-season and teams wanting instant results gotta think maybe some slip to day 2 on that normally wouldn't. I'm curious to see how long of a leash Drew is given. I mean if you go the vet route you'd think they'd cut into his reps too much no?

I am all-in for getting Watson if we can - his contract will be very reasonable in a couple of years and the team will only improve around him.

However, I can't see it happening. It would be a big splash for Paton, but his tenure would then live or die on the back of building a team around Watson. He has the reputation for being cautious and there is no indication he will buck the trend this year,

Color me shocked reports are coming out of the senior how that the Broncos had to dumb down the offense for Lock to run it. Pairing Shurmer with a green QB was always a question mark to me. I mean you can point out Daniel Jones but his Duke Cutcliff Background makes him an exception to the rule imo.

Drew seems to excel at play action passing I would like to upgrade rb at some point. We have to be able to run the ball when we wanna run.