What to do at QB?

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

On 2/13/2021 at 1:13 AM, AKRNA said:

I've read lots of arguments for going after Watson almost regardless of cost. 

Just my opinion, but I think the chances of Paton making that move are basically zero. This is his first chance at the GM spot. If he fails, possibly (probably?) his last. 

He'd be putting all his eggs in one basket immediately. Talk about going "all in". He doesn't strike me as that kind of guy.

I read somewhere that Paton has the green light to be aggressive.  What could go wrong with trading for Watson?  How often does it happen that a 25 QB who is a top 5 QB in the league could become available (if the Texans do this)?  The Broncos have wasted a 1st round pick, and 2 2nd round picks on QBs who have not panned out since Signing Manning.  I'd say let's settle that spot for the next 15 years. 

• Like 1

The news that they dumbed down the playbook for Lock is not good - if he doesn't have the smarts then he will not make it in the NFL. I suspect that he might end up as a journeyman back-up for a few years and nothing more.

If Lock isn't the answer there is no point in wasting another year of this young offence. Watson would clearly make it sing and if he wants to come to Denver then Paton needs to make it happen. The only other option would be to trade up which will cost picks - and there is no guarantee of success. When it comes to the QB you take the more expensive guaranteed option rather than the cheaper gamble.

• Like 1

Guys c'mon. Of course they dumbed down the offense. They'd have done that for any rookie/2nd year guy in a new system.

New plays, nomenclature, etc. It was a new offense to everybody! Now, you can argue whether they opened it up fast enough and that's fair but offenses are new , unfamiliar offenses are dumbed down every year.

I'll be interested to see how much Lock has improved this year. I'm expecting a pretty substantial leap.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Guys c'mon. Of course they dumbed down the offense. They'd have done that for any rookie/2nd year guy in a new system.

New plays, nomenclature, etc. It was a new offense to everybody! Now, you can argue whether they opened it up fast enough and that's fair but offenses are new , unfamiliar offenses are dumbed down every year.

I'll be interested to see how much Lock has improved this year. I'm expecting a pretty substantial leap.

Seriously. 

The piling on of Drew Lock by local fans/media really needs to stop. I’m not saying Lock is some elite QB, he clearly has a greet deal on which he needs to improve, but this kind of crap is so counter-productive.

Like AK says, any OC is going to have to scale back the offense with a young QB who is new to his system and didn’t have an off-season. Furthermore, Shurmur did Lock no help as his scheme is no fit whatsoever for Drew’s skill set but, like too many coordinators in the league, he is more married to his scheme than he is to finding ways to maximize his available talent. 

• Like 5
12 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Having watched the nfl network the last few years especially Mariucci when he whiteboards draft eligible qb's shows just how complicated NFL offenses are.  My FN  question is why the f is that?  I think its to justify coaching positions across the board.  Like how complicated are these plays?  They look pretty basic to me when I'm watching them unfold - doesn't look like rocket science.  Why wouldn't you keep the plays basic bcuz that's how they look.  I get that you might want to call them out in a complicated way but keep it fn basic so that you don't confuse your young qb.  Now if the qb is having issue with them being called something complicated like YJ247B when its a simple handoff then yeah you may have got a pretty stupid qb.  But for godsake the playcalling as I see Mooch doing it year after year just looks so fn stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??????????????

1 minute ago, anewdawn said:

Having watched the nfl network the last few years especially Mariucci when he whiteboards draft eligible qb's shows just how complicated NFL offenses are.  My FN  question is why the f is that?  I think its to justify coaching positions across the board.  Like how complicated are these plays?  They look pretty basic to me when I'm watching them unfold - doesn't look like rocket science.  Why wouldn't you keep the plays basic bcuz that's how they look.  I get that you might want to call them out in a complicated way but keep it fn basic so that you don't confuse your young qb.  Now if the qb is having issue with them being called something complicated like YJ247B when its a simple handoff then yeah you may have got a pretty stupid qb.  But for godsake the playcalling as I see Mooch doing it year after year just looks so fn stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY??????????????

So, one of the biggest responsibilities for the QB in a WCO occurs at the LOS. Is the called play going to work against the defensive alignment? If not, audible into the right play. That's the real learning curve. It's the ability to put your team in the right play that separates the Brady's, Montana's, etc. from the rest.

Bill Walsh has a great short video about it. 

That's where I'd expect to see the major improvement from Lock this year. We saw flashes near the end of last season. 

Another spot I'd expect improvement is in play calling, primarily balancing out the attack and relying less on the pass. Shurmer started moving in that direction late. 

Lock has the physical tools to make our O work. The issue right now is strictly mental. If he realizes what he needs to do and puts in the work he should be fine.

• Like 1

What about Big Ben if Steelers decide to move on? Everyone says we're a qb away. Maybe Lock can develop better under him too with minimal pressure.

Ben has been in PIT so long that his past, um, issues, are not news chatter. 

Whichever team trades for him is going to get a smattering of articles bashing the org for making a move for someone with such past issues. 

I dont think Denver will be game for that. 

4 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Whichever team trades for him is going to get a smattering of articles bashing the org for making a move for someone with such past issues. 

He hasn't had issues in years though and is a future first ballot hall of famer I'd doubt it would have that kinda blow back.

4 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Not too mention I think he's about washed.  He didn't look good last year and unlike Tom Brady doesn't appear to have taken care of his body at all.  Guessing the decline in skills cliff is coming up fast for Ben

He hasn't had issues in years though and is a future first ballot hall of famer I'd doubt it would have that kinda blow back.

The media will bring it up. It gets clicks and its an environment where it doesnt matter how old a issue is. 

11 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

The media will bring it up. It gets clicks and its an environment where it doesnt matter how old a issue is. 

Eh I think he got cleared of those issues no? And we employed pac man Jones for a couple of years and I didn't hear it read one peep about it. It's not like we're some model franchise atm we don't even have an owner lol.

25 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

Not too mention I think he's about washed.  He didn't look good last year and unlike Tom Brady doesn't appear to have taken care of his body at all.  Guessing the decline in skills cliff is coming up fast for Ben

Eh still had 33 tds and 10 ints completing 65 percent of his passes. I think our floor is 8 wins with him.

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

What about Big Ben if Steelers decide to move on? Everyone says we're a qb away. Maybe Lock can develop better under him too with minimal pressure.

35 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

Ben is absolutely washed.   Don't let the final numbers fool you - it was all bulk stats.   And in the 2H, D's really figured out that he couldn't throw deep anymore.    When you take away the volume and work the WR's did - it really is eye opening.   He finished out of the top 15 in advanced metrics - 17th DYAR, 20th DVOA, 23rd QBR, 26th by ALEX.   And as usual, when in doubt - the eye test really showed it.   Not just the CLE game, but the BUF/WAS/CIN games...it was ugly.

PIT led the league in YAC - the design was all quick dumpoffs, and throws under 20 yards.    He definitely got hurt by drops - but the bigger problem is that he can't sling it deep the same way.  Once D's figured it out, it's why PIT struggled so hard down the stretch.

Put another way - Ben averaged 7.1 air yards PER ATTEMPT.   Not per completion.   That's 28th in the league.    He's just not the same anymore, and at age 38 and coming off major surgery, those aren't just flags, they are massive, blood red flags that say stay away.

FWIW, it's unlike Ben wants to leave PIT.    But he's an OMG easy no.  Hard pass.

Edited by Broncofan