What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

I thinking Qb round one makes a lot more sense then people realize. I mean say the best case scenario happens Lock ball out this year. QBs seem to always get extended after their 3rd year of their rookie deal. I'd be hard pressed to put all my Chips in over 1 year of big production but it would probably come to that.

If we had a young qb being groomed and Lock played great ball you'd have a highly coveted asset with one year of cost control to a team and than franchise tag options. Could probably get a haul at that point. Win win.

I think I would create a package that sends Lock to the Jets for Sam Darnold, and for reasons that are the same but different.  

I think the Jets will go QB with the 2nd overall.  Whether that is Wilson, or Fields, I think they go with one of those and use Lock as a backup to them. 

I think Darnold could use a change of scenery.  He doesn't strike me as an East Coast guy, and perhaps a change of scenery would do him well.  And he is still young, what is he, 23?  He is young enough to re-adjust from having to play for a bad team.  

However, if I am the Broncos I still draft a QB like Mac Jones if the Broncos can trade back, collect some picks to get him.  Or, stay at 1.9 to get Trey Lance.  I think drafting Lance to compete with Darnold raises all levels at the QB position for the Broncos so that we finally get a franchise QB.  Darnold either sinks for swims, or he is a long-term back-up solution because if he cannot beat out a rookie then you know that's all he will ever be in the league.  Also, it allows the Broncos to see what they get in Lance.  If he becomes a start, and Darnold is good, then the Broncos have some trade bait in Darnold.  

No way Lance lasts until 9.  So you spend assets trading for Darnold who is far from a sure thing, and trade more assets to get Lance who, despite his his incredible potential, has a relatively low floor.  Doubling down on “Maybe”, which we already have in Lock, for free.

No Thanks 

BTW, at today's presser besides Paton noting he's hoping to keep Von, Kareem Jackson and Shelby Miller (Simmons staying is a lock), he was very specific about Lock's situation - noting at the very least, vet competition is coming in.    And he clearly said they will still look to be aggressive on upgrading QB, if the situation presents itself - when he was asked on Watson.   He also said there are no guarantees (duh).   That's an assessment I think most of us can get behind.   

"Drew is very talented, but he was inconsistent at times. Has a lot to work on. He really wants to be great," said Paton, who has not seen Lock play in person. " We’re always going to try to bring in competition. But, I like the track Drew’s on.”

Added Fangio, who offered praise of Lock before adding, "Until Drew proves to be the next great quarterback, like the ones the Denver franchise is used to in years past, we’re going to always try to bring in competition."

Paton repeated his mantra regarding potential trades when the subject of Deshaun Watson was broached. Paton cannot discuss players under contract with other teams, but said, "We will always look to be aggressive and be in on every deal. It doesn't guarantee anything will happen."

Edited by Broncofan

What veteran are they going to bring in to compete with Lock?  Fitzmagic?  Certainly a veteran presence for a young locker room, who has said he wants the chance to compete for the starting job.  This isn't entirely a bad idea.  I'd also draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd to also compete.  If Mac Jones can be had in the early 2nd, I'd take him.  

3 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I think they trade for Darnold.  He is a veteran, young, and would offer up true competition to Lock. 

Not only that, he would beat out Lock.

If they sign Dalton (or Fitz), though, I wonder if they are going to go for Lance at that point (someone did a mock draft on this site with that scenario a few weeks ago).

Keep Drew Lock I'm on board all in. Tim Patrick's endorsement sold me more than anyone I respect his opinion. What he said about Lock isn't just organization speak, he's a late round player who has worked his butt off to get to this point, and he's a vet.I think we gotta roll with Drew .

21 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Keep Drew Lock I'm on board all in. Tim Patrick's endorsement sold me more than anyone I respect his opinion. What he said about Lock isn't just organization speak, he's a late round player who has worked his butt off to get to this point, and he's a vet.I think we gotta roll with Drew .

Tim Patrick is being a good teammate and supporting his QB. That doesn't mean Lock is the best option. People are acting like Lock finished middle of the road in terms of overall performance. He was dead last in a number of metrics That alone means all options should be on the table for the QB position. If he finished middle of the road, it's a different story. Lock has talent, but Denver should not be handing him anything, and should not shy away from upgrading if it makes sense to do so. 

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Tim Patrick is being a good teammate and supporting his QB. That doesn't mean Lock is the best option. People are acting like Lock finished middle of the road in terms of overall performance. He was dead last in a number of metrics That alone means all options should be on the table for the QB position. If he finished middle of the road, it's a different story. Lock has talent, but Denver should not be handing him anything, and should not shy away from upgrading if it makes sense to do so. 

Oh no doubt he needs competition I like that he finished the last 4 games with a 7td- too 2 int ratio. Hopefully that isn't fools gold.

I think it's more than being a good teammate I don't think he could fake the compliments of Lock sounds like he's putting the work in that's very encouraging. Some players like Johnny Manziel never even get to that point.

30 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Oh no doubt he needs competition I like that he finished the last 4 games with a 7td- too 2 int ratio. Hopefully that isn't fools gold.

I think it's more than being a good teammate I don't think he could fake the compliments of Lock sounds like he's putting the work in that's very encouraging. Some players like Johnny Manziel never even get to that point.

But not every player that puts in the work becomes a good player.

Listen, I want Drew to succeed because it means we've solved the QB issue. But until he shows sustained success, he's worth upgrading if an upgrade exists.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

But not every player that puts in the work becomes a good player.

Listen, I want Drew to succeed because it means we've solved the QB issue. But until he shows sustained success, he's worth upgrading if an upgrade exists.

And FWIW - work ethic has never been Lock's problem.   He put in a ton of work last offseason getting ready, and throwing with players pre-TC.   In his rookie season on IR, Lock put in a ton of film time to be ready to start those final 5 games.    And his work ethic's never been an issue at Missouri, either. 

Lock's problems are footwork with pressure (which adds to his accuracy/placement issues),  his lack of read progression, and his overestimation of his skills (he throws/plays like he's got elite arm talent - when it's just very good, but not elite (but that leads to defenders getting hands on those poor decisions) - combined with last year's new problem of suddenly bailing at the first sign of trouble with eyes down (he used to be eyes up pre-injury).    His flat learning curve isn't because he's not putting in the effort - it's more lack of recognition / awareness.

More time learning the scheme *might* help with his read progression - then again, those were his weaknesses in Missouri.  The other 2 weaknesses (footwork with pressure, and overestimating his abilities with hero throws that don't have a chance) aren't really related to lack of work ethic.    The thing is, we all recognize Lock's chances of busting out are very real - the bigger issue from 2020 to 2021's outlook is that his ceiling isn't nearly as high as we'd hoped, given the problems really had zero growth for an entire season.   In another division, that lower ceiling would be manageable if he could figure it out (but with a floor risk of still outright busting) - with Mahomes and now Herbert in the AFCW, the lower ceiling is a bigger problem than it was a year ago.    

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

We might not win the bid - but as I've said before -  the contract Dak just got, and the contracts that Lamar Jackson & Baker Mayfield will get soon (and then followed by Kyler Murray & Josh Allen next year) - they're going to make Watson's 5/148M deal look like an absolute bargain, and likely as soon as 2022.    

I mentioned it before - but this is the new TV deal money teams are projecting.   Once the cap returns to pre-Covid baseline, the new TV money is going to increase the cap in a HUGE way (it was supposed to be 210M and 220M for 2021 & 2022 before the 17th game came in - and the MNF & 17th game already increased the 2021 cap from 175M to likely 188M - and all losses from 2020 will be cleared after this year). 

MNF deal added 30 percent - apparently the Sunday deal is going to be at least 2x that increase.   And TV revenues account for 60 percent of league overall revenue.  And when revenue goes up, players get a 48 percent piece of that pie.   So add it up - the 2023-24 cap is likely going to be north of 250M, if not higher.   

And it's not guesswork, this has been reported consistently.   This probably sums up the NFL teams' sentiment...

Again, ppl can debate the pick/player price and if we can match the highest bid -  but the argument of Watson's contract is actually the reverse - for 5/148M and the new wage scale we're about to see, that's getting top 5 QB play at what's likely going to be below-market price for a top 10 QB salary range

Edited by Broncofan

12 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I think what Tim said basically counter balances everything the rest of the team said about wanting Watson lol

Lock is weird because on one hand he is dripping with talent but on the other hand you are rolling the dice on him figuring it out while potentially tanking yet another year if he doesn't.

All I'm saying is rolling with Lock is fine. The Broncos just better have a better backup option than Jeff Driscoll this time around.