What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

3 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

However, I do not want Watson with the Broncos, no more than I would want any other player who abuses their position to exercise power over a woman through sexual misconduct or violence.

But sexual misconduct and sexual violence aren’t the same thing and shouldn’t be lumped together haphazardly (not saying you are, just making the point)

To @Broncofan’s point, there’s almost certainly solicitation (which is inexcusable and DW should absolutely be held accountable) but, from what I’ve read, it is still too early to make a definitive determination on the extent of his misconduct - and if it crossed the line into violence/battery

6 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

But sexual misconduct and sexual violence aren’t the same thing and shouldn’t be lumped together haphazardly (not saying you are, just making the point)

To @Broncofan’s point, there’s almost certainly solicitation (which is inexcusable and DW should absolutely be held accountable) but, from what I’ve read, it is still too early to make a definitive determination on the extent of his misconduct - and if it crossed the line into violence/battery

Inexcusable from a US morals perspective but not career-threatening.    If you want to bar pro athletes because of solicitation / sex acts (as long as it’s not battery / assault) - the lineup is probably a lot longer than we think.    

One side of the line is embarrassing and kills Watson’s PR image as squeaky clean, but doesn’t prevent him from playing (nor should it).   The other is rightfully a career-ender.   Nothing alleged so far can be proven / confirmed other than likely solicitation.    Let the process play out so the truth comes out and decide then. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

BTW - for those that think the NFL will decide - new for 2020 new CBA - an arbitrator makes the final call on personal conduct cases.   Not Goodell.    

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/20/cba-would-hand-most-discipline-decisions-to-neutral-decision-maker/ -

That’s good for all parties concerned - you won’t get accusations of league bias and you will get a completely impartial ruling.    Again another reason to let the process play out to completion before coming to any conclusions. 

Edited by Broncofan

Any chance we could create a dedicated “Watson” thread, and get this thread back to the broader topic of “What to do at QB”?😬

I’ll give it a try, but it will be my first new thread, and one I actually have no desire to post in.  But if we can get back to general QB talk here, it will be worth it.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

49ers have traded for the No. 3 pick

This tells me that the NYJ are going QB because I'm sure SF went knocking on their door first so they could secure the qb they want.  This means top 3 picks are qb's.  So Atlanta's fourth is key.  Do they want a qb or do they hold till draft day and hope the Panthers and Broncos and possibly an unknown pay a kings ransom for the pick as they will all be pitted against each other?  And that means you have to really love all 4 qb's because who will be left there at 4.  To me this is a last minute draft day scenario if the team trading up really likes the qb that's left.  So this move by SF has so disheartened me at the moment.  Means we likely roll with Lock.  I was once his biggest supporter but the fact that he is injury prone and my biggest pet peeve is that he thinks he is a long ball player and has consistently shown he can't hit a barn if its located 25 yards out.  All my optimism has already left me and the words of that idiot Kyle Brandt from earlier this week are ringing in my head - the Broncos are insignificant.  Such good moves but to what end 9-7 and most importantlyin need of a fn qb STILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  PS remember how my mouth usually gets stuffed with crow - lets  hope it happens again

15 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

I think it clearly means that Lynch is not going to consider Watson irrespective of the outcome of the current situation. I respect him for that.

If that is what Lynch is thinking and I tend to agree with you consider me in the same camp.  Smoke is what kills you in a fire and there is just way to much smoke there.  

8 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

The Dolphins have traded back up to 1.6

Win win move for Miami.   They likely still get the top WR - but they get an extra 1st in the deal.  Same idea for Philly they get a need addressed with BPA but pocket an extra 1st as well.   

SF gets their QB the 2 others get a major non QB need filled and they pocket an extra 1st.   

38 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Win win move for Miami.   They likely still get the top WR - but they get an extra 1st in the deal.  Same idea for Philly they get a need addressed with BPA but pocket an extra 1st as well.   

SF gets their QB the 2 others get a major non QB need filled and they pocket an extra 1st.   

MIA could easily target Pitts at 1.6. Sewell’s in the conversation there, too.   I like what they did. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

MIA could easily target Pitts at 1.6. Sewell’s in the conversation there, too.   I like what they did. 

Cincy would  be nuts to pass on Sewell.  They have an unproven young T in Williams who could easily move to the RT, and a 1-year stopgap in Reiff.  It would be a Cincy thing to do, though.   In that case, sure, MIA takes Sewell 1.6, and then gets WR at 1.17 (or moves up from there).   If Sewell is gone, I think MIA goes WR (or Pitts, but I think it's Chase) at 1.6, and then takes the first EDGE at 1.17 - that's about where they start to come into overall BPA convo, if you're OK with only 1-year dominant tape.

Still, either way it can easily be argued that Miami will get the guy they were thinking of at 6 and still pocket an extra 1st.   Same with Philly (not exactly the same, but likely was in top-3 target convo).     That's what I wished Elway was more willing to do rather than get married to 1 guy (who knows if he had the same opp obv, more the principle).  

If Mac Jones is available at 1.9, the trade up market could indeed be insane for Paton to pull a similar value if teams are coming in to move up from the high teens/20's range.   I know there are those who believe in Mac for us, but I'm just not sold on the ceiling.     We've all been wrong before on the Rd1 breakouts - but the guys who've proven doubters wrong have been the insane tools guys who improve on their skills/weaknesses - Allen, Herbert, etc..    Mac Jones has the exact opposite profile.   The most recent case that has succeeded more on intangibles than tools - Deshaun Watson.   But here's the thing - he had above-average physical tools, just nowhere near elite tools.   Jones doesn't even have above-average physical tools.  Given the bar we're looking for in the AFCW, have to say it doesn't do it for me.   If we were looking for a Baker-level ceiling, sure, it's worth considering.   But sadly, in our division, a bigger impact guy should be the target.

I think it's safe to say the top 4 QB's are going in the top 7, and could go 1-2-3-4.   Where Jones falls is going to be fascinating.   If NYJ is OK with Darnold for 1 more year (and likely commits to the option to see it out), then I'd guess Carolina will go all-out to move up to 1.2.    Don't see Atlanta moving their pick to help Carolina out.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I think it's safe to say the top 4 QB's are going in the top 7, and could go 1-2-3-4.   Where Jones falls is going to be fascinating.   If NYJ is OK with Darnold for 1 more year (and likely commits to the option to see it out), then I'd guess Carolina will go all-out to move up to 1.2.    Don't see Atlanta moving their pick to help Carolina out.

Can you imagine though if NYJ don't take a qb even trade out and Darnold well stays Darnold and then Wilson, Lance and Fields or just one of them balls out?  I think the Jets have to take a QB.  Clearly this is a qb class that so many have fallen in love with.  I think they go 1-4 myself.  PS I just have a feeling with regard to Kellen Mond and I would go very high on him but not 1.9.  Late first and preferably the second but I got a feeling he is the Mahomes of this draft - and lets say it again - of this draft.  He will be better than a few of the qb's drafted ahead of him!