Jump to content

What to do at QB?


What is your preference for the QB spot?  

49 members have voted

  1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

    • Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
      19
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
      12
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
      13
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock
      5


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, anewdawn said:

Can you imagine though if NYJ don't take a qb even trade out and Darnold well stays Darnold and then Wilson, Lance and Fields or just one of them balls out?  I think the Jets have to take a QB.  Clearly this is a qb class that so many have fallen in love with.  I think they go 1-4 myself.  PS I just have a feeling with regard to Kellen Mond and I would go very high on him but not 1.9.  Late first and preferably the second but I got a feeling he is the Mahomes of this draft - and lets say it again - of this draft.  He will be better than a few of the qb's drafted ahead of him! 

A year or so ago, some people were a lot higher on Mond, projecting him to go in the first round in last year's draft. If Paton can't get one of the top 4, I hope he sees something he likes in Jones, Mond, Trask, or Newman. It would be a waste to roll with Lock again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

A year or so ago, some people were a lot higher on Mond, projecting him to go in the first round in last year's draft. If Paton can't get one of the top 4, I hope he sees something he likes in Jones, Mond, Trask, or Newman. It would be a waste to roll with Lock again.

Add Davis Mills to Day 2-3 list.  
 

To be clear if you take a QB Rd 2-3 it shouldn’t commit a team if a much better opp presents itself.    Especially if Paton trades back I could see a Rd3-4 pick in that area.  But it would be a pure lottery ticket.   And unlikely to be a 2021 impact pick.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Folks here in Georgia were comparing Newman to Fields when Fields left UGA for OSU. I'd take a flyer on him in the 5th round, even if the Broncos select a QB in round one, unless it is Fields. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Add Davis Mills to Day 2-3 list.  

Yeah saw highlights of his pro day on the nfl network.  Big athletic boy who ran in the 4.8's I think 4.85.  Didn't know all that much about him but if Elway still has any pull this Stanford grad has to be on the radar.  I did like him a lot from what I saw and when I researched him.  Very few starts though - I think 11 but Lance only has 17.  This kid can throw and has a great build. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Lot of buzz of us being in on Darnold I can wonder the price point I mean who are we competing with?

I read Broncos and Bears.  Also read that at best Jets would get a 3rd.

I’d make that deal if I am Denver.  Darnold’s had issues but the Jets are a joke.  He’s also as young as a lot of the draft prospects.  

Behind a solid OL with Denver’s weapons and not being coached by Adam Gase, I think he could thrive. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Lot of buzz of us being in on Darnold I can wonder the price point I mean who are we competing with?

He’s been linked to the Panthers more than any other team. So, it’s y’all or them. Seattle has also been linked but only if they trade Wilson of course. That’s a tough sell for they fanbase though. 

Other teams he’s been linked to but are likely no longer rushing to trade for him are WFT, CHI and SF. SF for sure is out.

What are y’all expecting in terms of draft capital traded?

 

Edited by SDotNova
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

He’s been linked to the Panthers more than any other team. So, it’s y’all or them. Seattle has also been linked but only if they trade Wilson of course. That’s a tough sell for they fanbase though. 

Other teams he’s been linked to but are likely no longer rushing to trade for him are WFT, CHI and SF. SF for sure is out.

What are y’all expecting in terms of draft capital traded?

 

A ham sandwich with a side of rocky mountain oysters 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, germ-x said:

I read Broncos and Bears.  Also read that at best Jets would get a 3rd.

I’d make that deal if I am Denver.  Darnold’s had issues but the Jets are a joke.  He’s also as young as a lot of the draft prospects.  

Behind a solid OL with Denver’s weapons and not being coached by Adam Gase, I think he could thrive. 

Agreed. A 3rd for Sam Darnold is exactly the kind of calculated gamble you should take when you have indefinite uncertainty at QB. Ultimate buy low opportunity that (unlike a Watson trade or R1 QB trade-up) doesn’t set us back significantly if it doesn’t hit

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, germ-x said:

I read Broncos and Bears.  Also read that at best Jets would get a 3rd.

I’d make that deal if I am Denver.  Darnold’s had issues but the Jets are a joke.  He’s also as young as a lot of the draft prospects.  

Behind a solid OL with Denver’s weapons and not being coached by Adam Gase, I think he could thrive. 

 

5 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

Agreed. A 3rd for Sam Darnold is exactly the kind of calculated gamble you should take when you have indefinite uncertainty at QB. Ultimate buy low opportunity that (unlike a Watson trade or R1 QB trade-up) doesn’t set us back significantly if it doesn’t hit

It’s also a deal that isn’t tying the team to Darnold if a better opp presents itself.    Given the ceiling I could back that easily.    
 

My issue is when we get tied to guys when better opps are passed up.   Taking Lynch and Case Keenum hurt even more because we decided we didn’t need to look at other options for the 2016-18 drafts & FA classes.   And we were put in a bad spot where 2019 wasn’t deep at all.    
 

Investing a 3rd shouldn’t tie us to Darnold beyond 2021.   If he’s good to great, ok.  If he’s not we shouldn’t hesitate to keep looking.   I say that as a guy who backed Darnold before Stafford / Watson became available as a “vet competition” solution.    He, Fitz & Winston were the 3 vets I backed early, provided the price was right, and a 3rd is definitely OK for Darnold.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lot of uncertainty around who SF wants at 3.  But IF it’s Jones or Lance, I’d be doing everything I could to go get Fields.  I truly think he has the chance to be something special, with less risk than Lance and far mor upside than Jones.  Not sure if Atlanta is going QB or not, but if they are not, they’d be fools not to trade down. They won’t swap with the Panthers inDivision, so we’re in a great spot.  
 
I like Jones.  I think he could be “Cousins” as others have said.  I’m just not sure that’s enough.  And while Lance’s upside is through the roof, that could be a 2-3 year development project, with a decent chance of bust. I don’t think this organization/ fan base has that much patience.  
Otherwise, give me Mond in the 2nd and let’s see if he’s a Diamond in the rough. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

     This is a difficult problem to which there may be no perfect solution at this point.  My advice?  Drew Lock (PFF:35th, FPPG:28th) isn't worth keeping or dumping, so try relegating him to a backup/developing role (for now, at least).  The veteran market is picked over.  Look for someone ranked in the top 32 who is being demoted and whose support system was not as good as Denver's.  Haskins (40th, 40th) and Darnold (37th, 39th) aren't demonstrably better than Lock.  Gardner Minshew (26th, 14th) is no prize either but he should be better as a Bronco with superior WRs (with Sutton back) and pass blocking.  In my estimation, he gets the team into playoff contention, especially if he frees up the #9 selection.

     If one of the top five QBs falls to #9--as is likely, contrary to popular opinion--consider taking him, even if it's boom-or-bust Trey Lance (who is a far better fit here than in S.F. or N.E.), and especially if Jacksonville won't let go of Gardner (as is likely).

     Consider change-of-pace mobile QB Sam Ehlinger if he's still there at #153 and, parenthetically, trade down to take RB Javonte Williams in Rd2.  For sure, grab the inelegant K.J. Costello in the endgame.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

     This is a difficult problem to which there may be no perfect solution at this point.  My advice?  Drew Lock (PFF:35th, FPPG:28th) isn't worth keeping or dumping, so try relegating him to a backup/developing role (for now, at least).  The veteran market is picked over.  Look for someone ranked in the top 32 who is being demoted and whose support system was not as good as Denver's.  Haskins (40th, 40th) and Darnold (37th, 39th) aren't demonstrably better than Lock.  Gardner Minshew (26th, 14th) is no prize either but he should be better as a Bronco with superior WRs (with Sutton back) and pass blocking.  In my estimation, he gets the team into playoff contention, especially if he frees up the #9 selection.

     If one of the top five QBs falls to #9--as is likely, contrary to popular opinion--consider taking him, even if it's boom-or-bust Trey Lance (who is a far better fit here than in S.F. or N.E.), and especially if Jacksonville won't let go of Gardner (as is likely).

     Consider change-of-pace mobile QB Sam Ehlinger if he's still there at #153 and, parenthetically, trade down to take RB Javonte Williams in Rd2.  For sure, grab the inelegant K.J. Costello in the endgame.

Not a bad take at all.  Agree with a lot of it.  I don’t like Minshew, though.  He’s a car salesman or a fighter trying to get a pay day.  He works the system.  Which good for him, but his talent isn’t close to his reputation. 

He’s a backup QB.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this never happens.  But if you are an organization that is short a QB, and that was your only area of true need.  I'd not only double down, I might triple down.  I'd trade for Darnold, draft Fileds with 1.9, and then I'd grab Davis Mills later in the draft.  Then, I would let them compete.  

With Darnold, I'd just let him know he has to prove his time with the Jets were..well...with the Jets and Gase.  With Fields I would let him know the keys are his if he can beat out Darnold.  And with Mills I'd just be like what do you have to lose.  

Then in the end you have a great problem where you can trade the QB that loses out aside form Mills who could be a great, long-term, backup.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...