What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

Ok. Could have seen bringing Darnold in to see if he could rejuvenate his career and compete with Lock. But no way would I have paid a 2nd, 4th, and 6th.  

Broncos keep saying they want to bring in competition, but it’s clear they don’t want it as badly as these other teams do.  

Not much left of this point.  I’m not high on going after Boom/Bust Lance on this team. So Fields, Lance, or Bridgewater?

4 hours ago, anewdawn said:

I'll keep saying it.  Paton is fed up of needing a qb.  He dealt with it in Minny and won't deal with it long in Denver.  Wait and watch - he knows we are one fn piece away from being real good.  If Lance or Fields is available through Atl and they are willing to trade it's a done deal.  If Atl takes one and we still like who is left we will trade with Cincy!

Yeah. That makes sense. All of it. You’re brilliant. How are you not a fn NFL GM? 

53 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Know I've never been on the Darnold bandwagon, but this seems like a trade of desperation by CAR to me. Paton's patience may be paying off, moves like this just help make him look good...if he follows through

I don't see it as desperate he almost went for as much as Rosen did the 4th and 6th rounders are peanuts. I have a feeling with Matt Thule Sam will find success. Very low risk high upside trade.

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Wouldn’t want Teddy unless they restructure the contract to the point where he is making backup money.

At 20M, he's basically a different type of guy, but exactly like Case Keenum in terms of future ability to be the guy - not there.    Hard pass.

The options may be fewer, but if the price is insane to move up, I'm all for trading back should the market provide for a Mac Jones move-up and collecting 2022 early picks, and being ready to dive into the Wilson, Watson (assuming he's still playing obv), or the 2022 draft class.  

Even though our competition for moving up may have lessened with Carolina going Darnold - the price to move up to 4 would likely be really, really steep - it begins with at least 2 1sts, and crazier things have happened when it's QB.   

I don't see Lock as the long-term answer given the bar for QB play is now so much higher with Herbert joining Mahomes, but I also don't see any available option that's going to be the solution, either.   Next offseason, with more draft ammo, and more options presenting themselves, we should be an attractive spot and have the ammo to go for it. 

We're only a QB away from being a legit contender this year given the 4th place schedule, but I'm patient enough to wait for a solution that offers long-term potential as well.     It's why I was on-board with Stafford/Watson earlier, and at a cheaper cost than what CAR paid, Darnold.    But with the present landscape, I don't see a solution unless a top 4 guy falls (unlikely), Watson situation resolves favorably (and it has to resolve, no way otherwise), or we're realistically looking to next offseason.   

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

We're only a QB away from being a legit contender this year given the 4th place schedule, but I'm patient enough to wait for a solution that offers long-term potential as well.     It's why I was on-board with Stafford/Watson earlier, and at a cheaper cost than what CAR paid, Darnold.    But with the present landscape, I don't see a solution unless a top 4 guy falls (unlikely), Watson situation resolves favorably (and it has to resolve, no way otherwise), or we're realistically looking to next offseason

I've been hearing Atlanta is sold on Pitts so the number 4 qb should get to 5. The question is say it's Lance or Fields do they really have the ability to help you win now? I feel like the Fuller signing was a move to fortify a top 10 d so I don't know if if Paton waits a year. I think Lock can be the long term guy but you always wanna hedge your bets. 

I see a trade down as the highest probability with a pairing of Like a Newman or Sills from Stanford high upside kinda player to turn to if Lock isn't it while having assets to play with in future years. 

The wild card is how Paton feels a guy like Lance translates to the pros. He's got Josh Allen supreme talent all that's needed is to cultivate it.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

At 20M, he's basically a different type of guy, but exactly like Case Keenum in terms of future ability to be the guy - not there.    Hard pass.

The options may be fewer, but if the price is insane to move up, I'm all for trading back should the market provide for a Mac Jones move-up and collecting 2022 early picks, and being ready to dive into the Wilson, Watson (assuming he's still playing obv), or the 2022 draft class.  

Even though our competition for moving up may have lessened with Carolina going Darnold - the price to move up to 4 would likely be really, really steep - it begins with at least 2 1sts, and crazier things have happened when it's QB.   

I don't see Lock as the long-term answer given the bar for QB play is now so much higher with Herbert joining Mahomes, but I also don't see any available option that's going to be the solution, either.   Next offseason, with more draft ammo, and more options presenting themselves, we should be an attractive spot and have the ammo to go for it. 

We're only a QB away from being a legit contender this year given the 4th place schedule, but I'm patient enough to wait for a solution that offers long-term potential as well.     It's why I was on-board with Stafford/Watson earlier, and at a cheaper cost than what CAR paid, Darnold.    But with the present landscape, I don't see a solution unless a top 4 guy falls (unlikely), Watson situation resolves favorably (and it has to resolve, no way otherwise), or we're realistically looking to next offseason.   

I don't think it'll take "at least" two firsts to move to 4, unless Atlanta is absolutely set on their guy (looks like Pitts but lying season etc) in which case, that's fine, the top QBs fall further. I think the price would probably be something around 1.9, 2.40 and a second day pick next year. Which, if you think you're getting a potential franchise QB (Fields yes, maybe on Lance) that's well worth it. The only decent competition we'd have vying for a top QB would be NE, but I don't see Bill throwing away all his draft capital like that but who knows.

6 minutes ago, rcpbawler said:

I don't think it'll take "at least" two firsts to move to 4, unless Atlanta is absolutely set on their guy (looks like Pitts but lying season etc) in which case, that's fine, the top QBs fall further. I think the price would probably be something around 1.9, 2.40 and a second day pick next year. Which, if you think you're getting a potential franchise QB (Fields yes, maybe on Lance) that's well worth it. The only decent competition we'd have vying for a top QB would be NE, but I don't see Bill throwing away all his draft capital like that but who knows.

If ATL is moving down from 4 it's because they're getting an offer that is one they can't refuse.   1.9 and 2.40 isn't doing it.    When teams move up for a QB it's pretty much at a seller's price.   The deals where sellers move down at less than book value are where other suitors aren't in the mix.   We may have the highest pick to move down to, but as SF demonstrated, other teams will meet the price for a QB. 

If DET were dealing, a 2nd would be well above.  A 3rd would be just above, but again, it's likely we'd need to sweeten the pot.  But if it's ATL, it's not going to be at bargain rates.    QB trades that early are always tilted to the seller because of the insane demand.

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If ATL is moving down from 4 it's because they're getting an offer that is one they can't refuse.   1.9 and 2.40 isn't doing it.    When teams move up for a QB it's pretty much at a seller's price.   The deals where sellers move down at less than book value are where other suitors aren't in the mix.   We may have the highest pick to move down to, but as SF demonstrated, other teams will meet the price for a QB. 

If DET were dealing, a 2nd would be well above.  A 3rd would be just above, but again, it's likely we'd need to sweeten the pot.  But if it's ATL, it's not going to be at bargain rates.    QB trades that early are always tilted to the seller because of the insane demand.

Well, yeah, if ATL are locked into their guy whether it's Pitts or Lance, it probably won't matter what the offer is so moot point. If they're willing to trade down, 1.9 and 2.40 are the equivalent value, but a 2022 2nd would put them well ahead. I know, the qb tax, but if you're looking to move down (1.9 seems the perfect spot imo with surtain) that's great compensation. 

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Atanlta dealing with Detroit. The trade will come this week.

Geoff is out after 2022. Detroit will take a QB and learn 1 year and see if 2022 is ready.

Edited by French Fan

Man, I thought the Panthers were a lock to take a QB in the draft.

I now think there is a significant chance that one of Fields, Lance and Jones falls to 8 and even a small chance that two of them could. Atlanta, Cincy, Miami, Detroit and Carolina aren't going QB IMO, so unless someone trades above us then the guys will slide to 9.

24 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Man, I thought the Panthers were a lock to take a QB in the draft.

I now think there is a significant chance that one of Fields, Lance and Jones falls to 8 and even a small chance that two of them could. Atlanta, Cincy, Miami, Detroit and Carolina aren't going QB IMO, so unless someone trades above us then the guys will slide to 9.

Sorry but Detroit is going QB. They have an extra 1st round and are expected to deal with atlanta to move up.

Geoff is not their long term QB.

Attlanta want to move down . Perfect match