What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

1 hour ago, French Fan said:

Sorry but Detroit is going QB. They have an extra 1st round and are expected to deal with atlanta to move up.

Geoff is not their long term QB.

Attlanta want to move down . Perfect match

None of this is true 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, French Fan said:

Sorry but Detroit is going QB. They have an extra 1st round and are expected to deal with atlanta to move up.

Geoff is not their long term QB.

Attlanta want to move down . Perfect match

It would probably help Detroit if they had some folks to catch the ball from any QB.  I think both of their top WRs are no longer in Detroit.  

• Like 1

2 interesting things here.

1.  Darnold was the last player left in the NFL who I thought would outright beat Lock in a QB competition.  I know Foles, Bridgewater, and Minshew are potential targets, but I think even if they are acquired by Denver, Drew Lock will still be Denver’s week 1 starter. If Denver is looking to replace Lock, it will now be through the draft. 

2.  Carolina is now the best candidate for a team looking to trade up for a QB.  I would imagine there will be concerns that if 1 or 2 QBs are available at pick 8 that they won’t last past Denver’s pick at #9.

13 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Yeah. That makes sense. All of it. You’re brilliant. How are you not a fn NFL GM? 

Ah the booze is clouding the brain once again and the master at hiding behind the keyboard and sounding off is at it again but give it time and just  Wait and Watch!!

7 hours ago, French Fan said:

Atanlta dealing with Detroit. The trade will come this week.

Geoff is out after 2022. Detroit will take a QB and learn 1 year and see if 2022 is ready.

Found out yesterday via the nfl network that Dorsey is a part of the Lions front office.  He is responsible for bringing Rogers in for Favre's replacement and he is responsible for bringing in Mahomes as Smith's replacement.  So they were in fact discussing the fact that Detroit just may go after a qb to replace Goff as it fits Dorsey's pattern.  Just not sure how much pull he has within the organization but clearly the nfl has gone qb mad.  Have to have a great one these days or you just move on..................but honestly I kind of like Goff but JS is so right - he is going to have nothing to work with if they go qb with their first. 

If Denver trades for a QB that isn't their Week 1 starter, it's a waste of draft capital. Period, end of story. What is the point, specifically in trading for Teddy Bridgewater? If you're going to trade picks, trade them for players who move the needle. Trading for Nick Foles or Teddy Bridgewater is laughable IMO.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

If Denver trades for a QB that isn't their Week 1 starter, it's a waste of draft capital. Period, end of story. What is the point, specifically in trading for Teddy Bridgewater? If you're going to trade picks, trade them for players who move the needle. Trading for Nick Foles or Teddy Bridgewater is laughable IMO.

If you want a veteran to backup Lock and give us the option to bench him, I’d much rather just sign Alex Smith. 

31 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

If you want a veteran to backup Lock and give us the option to bench him, I’d much rather just sign Alex Smith. 

It's not gonna be Smith, his leg injuries have relegated him to a statue in the pocket so we would have to utilize a whole new offense should our #1 QB go down. 

If I'm Paton, I'm waiting to see if Bridgewater is cut. Teddy knows he's going to be the 2nd banana now that Darnold has been acquired so I have to think he'll want a chance to start and that isn't in CAR. Why would he take a pay cut to remain as their #2 QB ?? I'm betting he's cut looking for a better opportunity. And honestly, , he'd fit in here a lot better. 

All that said, I think we still trade up to get the #4 QB in the draft, just hoping it's not Jones. I'd love Fields but could be just as happy with Lance. 

If the option is trading for some vet to compete with Lock or back him up then that’s a waste of draft capital. Either trade for Watson/Wilson(very, very, very unlikely) or take Fields if he’s there and if neither happens just ride with Lock and if he sucks, he sucks and the team is going to suck a backup QB who has some more experience being meh and losing games isn’t going to make a difference for half a season or however long it takes Lock to get benched.

Either get serious about being a good team or come to the realization that need to start building the team for 2022 and finding a new QB next year.

4 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

I still think we will trade for Foles and go into the season with Lock and Foles as the QBs.

A trade down in the draft to accumulate picks and a defence heavy draft to replenish the roster.

I think you're right with Foles being the mentor.

If winning this year is important that's the best way to do it.

21 hours ago, anewdawn said:

I'll keep saying it.  Paton is fed up of needing a qb.  He dealt with it in Minny and won't deal with it long in Denver.  Wait and watch - he knows we are one fn piece away from being real good.  If Lance or Fields is available through Atl and they are willing to trade it's a done deal.  If Atl takes one and we still like who is left we will trade with Cincy!

Actually I think all the evidence says the opposite.. they were interested in both Stafford and Darnold but (even though the eventual trade comp was less than we all thought) he wasn’t willing to pay the freight. He also could’ve spent $ to lure the available FA stopgaps but didn’t. Seems to me he’s been far more patient and far less desperate than we all expected. 

• Like 1

So the folks here in Atlanta on talk radio (sorry no link) are thinking Atlanta will trade with Denver once Denver realizes who the 49ers wants at QB.  If the 49ers go Mac Jones, the Broncos will make the trade to Atlanta to get Fields.  If the 49ers go Fields, the Broncos will back off and trade back.  

It seems like Paton has an eye for Fields.  Then what?  You trade Cutler, I mean Lock?  

• Like 1