What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

3 minutes ago, Orangecrush151 said:

Well idk how we feel any worse than Miami with tua he looks like a lame duck. Hurst hasn’t looked great imo people already overrate him. I would say drew is better than them at this stage and we spent a second on him. Not 1.5

Don't hear about daniel Jones anymore either lol. I think Drew gives us a chance to win every game .

If he can turn his 10 percent great into 20 Percent. And manage a game watch out.

I do feel fans have been overly critical with the way the off-season and injuries etc. 

I just think people are tired of picking high they want results. 

17 minutes ago, Orangecrush151 said:

Well idk how we feel any worse than Miami with tua he looks like a lame duck. Hurst hasn’t looked great imo people already overrate him. I would say drew is better than them at this stage and we spent a second on him. Not 1.5

Lock's had 4 SEC seasons, and 2 seasons in the NFL.   Tua has had literally no offseason prep with the hip rehab, and a college record in just over 1.5 seasons of game play that just obliterates Lock's.   The original plan was for Tua to redshirt pretty much most of 2020, pretty clear MIA's contention wasn't part of the plan.   

Tua's biggest issue is that he's not using his lower body - which isn't that surprising - labrum recovery is a 2-offseason process.   He may never work out, but 2020 was supposed to be the redshirt year.  It's why Fitzmagic was signed to the 2-year deal.    

Tua & Lock aren't at the same stage - Tua's 2 years younger, and gets his first full offseason, with next year his first year where he can expect to be at peak physical capacity since the injury.   That's a world of difference.    

Edited by Broncofan

3 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

If things hold we’ll be in either the 1.8 or 1.9 slot (subject to PHI/WAS tonight). That puts us in striking range for a blue-chip guy but, unfortunately, the teams we could’ve passed but didn’t (DET & CAR) are candidates for a R1 QB so the value of our pick isn’t as high as it could’ve been w/ so many QB-needy teams ahead of us.

People are talking Detroit as a team that could go QB, and I really don’t see it. Stafford’s only 33, and still a solid average starter (with a contract that prevents him from being moved this offseason.) The most I could see the Lions doing is grabbing a standard middle round project (Jamie Newman?) or a guy like Desmond Ridder, who could be a Taysom Hill type project? 

So tua gets a pass because the off-season and drew doesnt. Drew has had a dif o coordinator every year. No stability. To say he is one of worst ever in league is absurd. Tua idc what u say is worse right now and prob ever. Hurst isn’t better. There are plenty of qb that just aren’t better. Give drew stability and a normal off-season where he can work out with his mate me and he will continue the chemistry

8 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Another team in the market to add a QB (or look to retain Winston)

They are in a ton of cap trouble.  Almost 95M over.   They save 25M with Brees but only have about 50-60M of easy restructures on their roster and about 20M more of guys who can be cut.   It’s a big reason to their Taysom Hill experiment (he’s 14M for next year - that’s not gadget guy $).    They will find a way but big $ spending isn’t in the cards this offseason for them.   The challenge with Winston is they got him at bargain prices.   I doubt he’ll go that route since he gave them a bargain basement price last time - 1M with 3.5M in play-related incentives - then watched them play Taysom with Brees getting hurt and say goodbye to those 3.5M) 

.NO could go massive signing bonus (to backload the cap hit) but it’s all about what the market holds - a lot of teams can easily outbid NO.    

In normal years where there is 30M more to work with it’s do-able but man this year is going to be brutal for them (and PHI - why a Wentz trade almost has to happen and likely at Phi getting below market value, certainly lower than 2018-9 Wentz would have fetched).

Edited by Broncofan

21 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The challenge with Winston is they got him at bargain prices.   I doubt he’ll go that route since he gave them a bargain basement price last time - 1M with 3.5M in play-related incentives - then watched them play Taysom with Brees getting hurt and say goodbye to those 3.5M) 

.NO could go massive signing bonus (to backload the cap hit) but it’s all about what the market holds - a lot of teams can easily outbid NO.    

What kind of deal do people expect Winston to get? Obviously his stock isn’t any higher but is the supply/demand environment that different than it was 12mo ago?

Edited by bMiller031

28 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

What kind of deal do people expect Winston to get? Obviously his stock isn’t any higher but is the supply/demand environment that different than it was 12mo ago?

Well he was an absolute moron for not taking TAM 2/40 offer.    Agent apparently said 30M per.   That was that LOL.  

As a reference though Foles got 1/20M Fitzmagic got 2/25M 2 years ago.   Stopgap starters get 15M now.    NO would be hard pressed to match even that.   

Edited by Broncofan

I think Wilson is the second best qb in this class great anticaption, touch , accuracy. He looks like a very smooth player. His frame does worry me though. Honestly reminds me of a more mobile higher up side Matt Ryan 

I'm changing my time if he somehow falls I'd definitely consider it. I don't think you can have to many QBs. Worst comes to worst Lock would be traded and I think he's shown enough flashes to warrant decent return 

Lock finished the season with 19 tds and 15 ints jay cutler finished year two with 21 tds and 14 ints and we haven't had Sutton .

11 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Don't hear about daniel Jones anymore either lol. I think Drew gives us a chance to win every game .

If he can turn his 10 percent great into 20 Percent. And manage a game watch out.

I do feel fans have been overly critical with the way the off-season and injuries etc. 

I just think people are tired of picking high they want results. 

This is laughable lol. Cmon man, Drew does not give us a chance to win every game. He's had a ton of duds to go along with occasional flashes. A lot of Broncos fans are wayyyy overstating Lock's talent.

That said, I think we have to give Lock another year with the continuity of the same offensive system, coaching, and hopefully a more normal offseason. But I think you have to bring in a more experienced veteran behind Lock to push him. Training wheels have to come off. He hasn't shown enough to be considered this viable starter. He's probably o the 5 worst starting QBs in the NFL at present.

Coupled with the mess of the ownership situation - Lock is going to get the offseason (which could still be badly stunted given the shambles Trump has made of the pandemic response) and a second year with the same offensive scheme. He will be a year older - a year more mature (maybe) - a year extra trying to adjust to the speed of the NFL - a year more of tutoring from a coaching staff who should be at least competent in brining something close to the best out of him - and a bunch of young offensive players with a year's more experience.

While I am not optimistic (and if other options were available I would consider them) - I will wait until well into next season before calling for Lock's head.

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

This is laughable lol. Cmon man, Drew does not give us a chance to win every game. He's had a ton of duds to go along with occasional flashes. A lot of Broncos fans are wayyyy overstating Lock's talent.

That said, I think we have to give Lock another year with the continuity of the same offensive system, coaching, and hopefully a more normal offseason. But I think you have to bring in a more experienced veteran behind Lock to push him. Training wheels have to come off. He hasn't shown enough to be considered this viable starter. He's probably o the 5 worst starting QBs in the NFL at present.

I thought he did minus the first KC game which he redeemed himself I thought and the Raiders game which I thought he redeemed himself this Sunday. Buffalo we we're screwedddd with our whole secondary out I don't really fault Drew there.

Listen, I get it if Lock was more consistent odds are we win 5 more games this year and are in the postseason.

Week 1 Tennessee all we needed was a clock killing drive

Atlanta - show up in the first half and it's a win

Second Chiefs game I thought he played solid but another drive or so that's a win

Chargers - show up in the first half that's a win

Raiders- make a couple of the throws that were missed that's a win.

So yeah I feel like we're in every game with Drew mostly but he also could play more steadily to get those wins. 

I'm excited to see growth from the first raiders and kc games and people who say he isn't progressing need to look at the difference.

The margin for error in the NFL is so miniscule it really is.

Given our draft pick not being a top one, I think we should give him another full offseason to get used to the system and his players. Honestly, I don't even see the point in bringing a vet in to challenge him. Where does that get us? A 8/9 win team? We aren't getting a vet in to challenge Lock that makes us a contender.

If we bring in Darnold/Stafford/Ryan/any other starting vet then Lock is gone. There isn't a chance those players go anywhere without guarantee of being the starter. I am not sold enough on the talent of this team to make a move like that.

I suspect we'll make moves in FA at CB, then still go Defensive heavy in the draft. This team sure could do with getting lucky with a late round DL hit like we got with Malik Jackson.