What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

32 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Actually I think all the evidence says the opposite.. they were interested in both Stafford and Darnold but (even though the eventual trade comp was less than we all thought) he wasn’t willing to pay the freight. He also could’ve spent $ to lure the available FA stopgaps but didn’t. Seems to me he’s been far more patient and far less desperate than we all expected. 

He's actually everything I'd hoped for in a GM.

He seems to realize our very best chance to win this year is for Lock to turn the corner. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bMiller031 said:

Actually I think all the evidence says the opposite.. they were interested in both Stafford and Darnold but (even though the eventual trade comp was less than we all thought) he wasn’t willing to pay the freight. He also could’ve spent $ to lure the available FA stopgaps but didn’t. Seems to me he’s been far more patient and far less desperate than we all expected. 

I do like that he pulled out of the Stafford sweepstakes considering the haul the Lions got.  And there is no way I would have paid what the Panthers paid to get Darnold but you have to acknowledge Paton's interest especially with what we know regarding our Stafford bid.  I'm telling you I am still disheartened with the SF move up.  It really messed things up with what I really expected to happen.  It could blow up our qb chances as I don't expect SF to take Mac, and I expect Atlanta to take a qb and based on what you have pointed out I do not see Paton as being desperate and I doubt that if four qb's go we happen to have his favourite sitting as the fifth undrafted one.  We got a great offense and if Lock can't work with it in a positive way well then that will be a problem addressed down the road......... ironically the same problem that's been staring us down for far too long!  

5 hours ago, anewdawn said:

It could blow up our qb chances as I don't expect SF to take Mac

Mac to SF might be the only way we land a QB in this draft.

The rumors are strong, even Schefter got in it, but I probably won't believe until Goddell calls the pick.

SF and Atlanta will definitely be determinant if we get a QB in this draft or not.

I still not sure if the Falcons will pick one. Tho is highly possible.

1 hour ago, BowserBroncos said:

Mac to SF might be the only way we land a QB in this draft.

The rumors are strong, even Schefter got in it, but I probably won't believe until Goddell calls the pick.

SF and Atlanta will definitely be determinant if we get a QB in this draft or not.

I still not sure if the Falcons will pick one. Tho is highly possible.

So on the nfl network Schefter reported teams are calling Atlanta and Atlanta is willing to deal the pick.  This has me worried.  Like so many on this board I really like Paton.  Love what he's done so far including not getting a qb so far.  I also feel he knows we HAVE to have a qb - especially in this division.  BUT I don't think he is an idiot.  I'm not sure he deals with Atlanta not knowing who is going to be there at fourth overall.  I myself want Fields.  Not sure if I would settle for Lance (division II school, Wentz college school too - yikes).  Have no interest in Mac at fourth overall either.  So again in my mind SF screwed with my plans.  Not sure we make the move up with Atlanta but clearly there are teams calling them so I'm sure it gets done.  Will it be with us or not?  Who knows.  Thought we would do this deal on draft day depending who was left but do you deal all the draft capital you need to move up NOW and then have to settle with a qb you are not sold on?  Don't think Paton will do that.  Perhaps I'm a pretty ****ty gm as per the wagon rider calling me out but we all try on this board - isn't it what its all about.  Clearly though it appears someone will get that pick out of Atlanta.  Will it be us - who knows?   Now having my doubts that we get a premiere qb.  Maybe Mond or Mills in later rounds..................

29 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

So on the nfl network Schefter reported teams are calling Atlanta and Atlanta is willing to deal the pick.  This has me worried.  Like so many on this board I really like Paton.  Love what he's done so far including not getting a qb so far.  I also feel he knows we HAVE to have a qb - especially in this division.  BUT I don't think he is an idiot.  I'm not sure he deals with Atlanta not knowing who is going to be there at fourth overall.  I myself want Fields.  Not sure if I would settle for Lance (division II school, Wentz college school too - yikes).  Have no interest in Mac at fourth overall either.  So again in my mind SF screwed with my plans.  Not sure we make the move up with Atlanta but clearly there are teams calling them so I'm sure it gets done.  Will it be with us or not?  Who knows.  Thought we would do this deal on draft day depending who was left but do you deal all the draft capital you need to move up NOW and then have to settle with a qb you are not sold on?  Don't think Paton will do that.  Perhaps I'm a pretty ****ty gm as per the wagon rider calling me out but we all try on this board - isn't it what its all about.  Clearly though it appears someone will get that pick out of Atlanta.  Will it be us - who knows?   Now having my doubts that we get a premiere qb.  Maybe Mond or Mills in later rounds..................

I will say don’t disregard Lance because of NDSU, by that logic you should worry about fields since the last good QB Ohio State put out was??

For the record i prefer Fields, I think his athleticism makes him so dynamic in the league.  But if Lance fell to #9 it might not be a bad pick.  Let Drew play the year out and Lance learn

48 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

At this point I'd be surprised if somone trade with Atlanta without knowing who SF will pick. I can see ATL trading down, but I think it will be when the pick gets OTC.

The worst scenario is SF not picking Jones and ATL staying at 4 and picking QB too. That would almost 100% be sure Jones would be the only option in play for us. And it is a no for me, but also could proven hard for us to trade down from 9 in this scenario.

If a run at QB happen like this, almost sure someone will jump us with Detroit for the QB that is left out there and we may not find a trade partner for a trade down.

It's a bit crazy to me that QBs will go 1-2-3-4 in this draft, but I guess is possible.

26 minutes ago, BowserBroncos said:

It's a bit crazy to me that QBs will go 1-2-3-4 in this draft, but I guess is possible.

I don't think they will. Historically, at least two will bust. Outside of lawrence the rest have noticeable faults. Wilson's durability, Fields mental acuity, ....................

We'll see over the next few years.

6 hours ago, BowserBroncos said:

At this point I'd be surprised if somone trade with Atlanta without knowing who SF will pick. I can see ATL trading down, but I think it will be when the pick gets OTC.

The worst scenario is SF not picking Jones and ATL staying at 4 and picking QB too. That would almost 100% be sure Jones would be the only option in play for us. And it is a no for me, but also could proven hard for us to trade down from 9 in this scenario.

If a run at QB happen like this, almost sure someone will jump us with Detroit for the QB that is left out there and we may not find a trade partner for a trade down.

If ATL goes QB, it will be for Lance.  They just restructured Matt Ryan's contract to keep him around for another two years.  So, Lance can sit behind Ryan to develop.  

6 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I don't think they will. Historically, at least two will bust. Outside of lawrence the rest have noticeable faults. Wilson's durability, Fields mental acuity, ....................

We'll see over the next few years.

What is there to support Fields mental acuity being an issue?

8 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I’ve read quite a bit from different “gurus” on Fields inability to process passing plays on time.  Also read there are potential questions about his maturity. 

Gil Brandt said through his connections there are teams with Fields graded as a top 5 pick and as low as a 4th rounder.

12 hours ago, BowserBroncos said:

What bothered me was the fact that Schefter made it sound like they are willing and able to do business now.  I have to agree with you though that it's in Atlanta's best interest to wait to draft day and have everyone desperate and ready to throw away too much draft capital.  I doubt that would be us (Paton won't throw away our future) but can you imagine those ten minutes if both Fields and Lance are still in play?  I would think that what's going on now in Atlanta fielding calls is that they are laying the potential groundwork for draft day but if they are smart I think the price they get for that pick increases on draft day but who knows what they do.  They could announce a trade today.

3 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

They could announce a trade today.

I hope they do lol Would be a lot easier to wait for the draft if Atlanta trades down as soon as possible.

The feeling that we could get Fields or Lance, but they can/may split away from us is horrible.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Read two articles the other day about issues he has reading defenses, progressions, hot read, etc.

In fairness it also pointed out those are traits that about 90% of college QB's have.