What to do at QB?

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Read two articles the other day about issues he has reading defenses, progressions, hot read, etc.

In fairness it also pointed out those are traits that about 90% of college QB's have. 

What isn't in the article is the fact that he shredded Clemson with banged up ribs...I will take him for his toughness. 

• Like 1

What the Falcons need to do is draft Sewell...but they will draft Pitts even though they already have Julio and Ridley and Gage...which means nothing if Ryan doesn't have time to throw them the ball.  

IF they went the logical route, then we would only need to jump two spots to Detroit to land Fields, assuming the 49ers get Jones or Lance.  

4 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Read two articles the other day about issues he has reading defenses, progressions, hot read, etc.

In fairness it also pointed out those are traits that about 90% of college QB's have. 

That’s right. Mentally it’s an entirely different game. These are skills he didn’t have to develop much in college. That’s why you have coaches that get paid the big bucks. Teach him. You can’t teach the size, game breaking speed or accuracy. 

FWIW, he apparently had the highest grade a QB has ever gotten on some recall test I didn’t even know existed. He’s clearly smart. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

I'm also of the belief that Fields has the highest ceiling of anyone in the class. It's hard for me to not see a future superstar, there are just so many overwhelmingly positive traits and he's getting crushed for things every QB needs to make huge strides in when they enter the league. He has an array of traits that are going to make him a nightmare to defend. He can take off for a touchdown from any spot on the field. He's a big guy who's comfortable in the pocket and can shed contact ala Cam and Big Ben. He's accurate throwing at every level of the field. Strong arm. Tough. Smart. No character concerns we know of.

The level of overthinking with Fields actually reminds me of Deshaun Watson...but Fields is just like a super version of that. Faster, bigger, stronger, bigger arm. If I'm wrong, this post will be fun to laugh at. 

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I'm also of the belief that Fields has the highest ceiling of anyone in the class. It's hard for me to not see a future superstar, there are just so many overwhelmingly positive traits and he's getting crushed for things every QB needs to make huge strides in when they enter the league. He has an array of traits that are going to make him a nightmare to defend. He can take off for a touchdown from any spot on the field. He's a big guy who's comfortable in the pocket and can shed contact ala Cam and Big Ben. He's accurate throwing at every level of the field. Strong arm. Tough. Smart. No character concerns we know of.

The level of overthinking with Fields actually reminds me of Deshaun Watson...but Fields is just like a super version of that. Faster, bigger, stronger, bigger arm. If I'm wrong, this post will be fun to laugh at. 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

Fields definitely has flaws, but I don't buy the narrative that his processing is a problem because he's limited.   

And to wit - it's not an aptitude issue.   Witness...

A 130 is basically off the charts learning aptitude.    It's not just a numeric score, it's based on percentile - so a 130 score puts him in the 99th percentile of athletes.    The top 1 percent in learning aptitude.

Now, let's be clear - intelligence doesn't mean when facing pressure, the right decision will get made.  But Fields has the intelligence and aptitude to learn and adjust.

I'll believe SF is going Mac Jones over Fields when the pick is announced.    If that happens, and ATL wants Lance, then yes, I'd be all over a move up with CIN, DET, whoever.    I just think Fields represents the new era of QB play...and while I think it's fair to see he hasn't had to get through 2nd/3rd reads that often enough to know how well he can do it - it's another to suggest he's limited in this area and is unlikely to improve.  It’s more we don’t know yet because of the limited opps (like Herbert on Oregon who actually had far worse Collège tape).      Fields’ ceiling is literally limitless, and he's had college success against major competition.  Is he perfect?  Nope, very few are.  But he's a legit franchise, top 5 ceiling guy.   I'd rather have the certainty of Watson, but now that it's off the table - I'm more than OK if Fields is available to us.  I just didn’t think he’d fall out of the top 4.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, AKRNA said:

The progressions thing has been widely debunked, and the OSU rarelyuses hot reads or sight adjustments. Sometimes they don't even incorporate a checkdown in to the mix. 

His performance against pressure sometimes is a legit concern. its....not always great. Some concern over presnap judgments is probably worth a look (the Indiana game is probably the most extreme version of this as they were pretty consistently changing it up and masking things). I don't think that he's slow to process info....but he's.....methodical. He just plays at a slower pace. Hard to explain. He's not really often in a hurry and sometimes you kind of have to speed yourself up, especially in the NFL. Sort of a "I'm going to wait this extra second because I want to see it first" and paired with a release that can be a little longer makes it seem slower than he is. I don't think he's the fastest processor. I do think that Lance, for example, reads the field much better and faster, but I don't think that there's any major issues on Fields in that regard either.  

The OSU offense does him no favors  in terms of how he is presented, but lots of NFL throws, especially to the boundaries, so does help there. 

44 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Fields definitely has flaws, but I don't buy the narrative that his processing is a problem because he's limited.   

And to wit - it's not an aptitude issue.   Witness...

A 130 is basically off the charts learning aptitude.    It's not just a numeric score, it's based on percentile - so a 130 score puts him in the 99th percentile of athletes.    The top 1 percent in learning aptitude.

Now, let's be clear - intelligence doesn't mean when facing pressure, the right decision will get made.  But Fields has the intelligence and aptitude to learn and adjust.

I'll believe SF is going Mac Jones over Fields when the pick is announced.    If that happens, and ATL wants Lance, then yes, I'd be all over a move up with CIN, DET, whoever.    I just think Fields represents the new era of QB play...and while I think it's fair to see he hasn't had to get through 2nd/3rd reads that often enough to know how well he can do it - it's another to suggest he's limited in this area.      His ceiling is literally limitless, and he's had college success against major competition.  Is he perfect?  Nope, very few are.  But he's a legit franchise, top 5 ceiling guy.   I'd rather have the certainty of Watson, but now that it's off the table - I'm more than OK if Fields is available to us.

This is where I am...and I am hoping for all the better.  I am hoping for Fields to be Newton who meets Watson with Wilson leadership tendencies...I do not know of  QB right now who would play through the pain he looked like was in against Clemson...to me that was old school...that was Emmitt Smith v. the Giants kind of performance. 

• Like 1

I’d be all in on fields.  Question is, can you afford to wait to see what SF does at 3, and then make the move?  Or do you need to pull the trigger on a trade with Atlanta, knowing you may end left with Lance or Jones.  Clearly the smart play is to wait, but will somebody else bite the bullet and pull the trigger on a trade before the draft?  Next 3 weeks are going to get might interesting 

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

130 is basically off the charts learning aptitude.    It's not just a numeric score, it's based on percentile - so a 130 score puts him in the 99th percentile of athletes.    The top 1 percent in learning aptitude.

I feel weird saying I'd be all in on an Ohio State qb but if we were gonna move on from Drew I couldn't be mad at all with Fields. I mean with that 130 it's probably realistic that we can win rn with him .

33 minutes ago, Forge said:

The progressions thing has been widely debunked, and the OSU rarelyuses hot reads or sight adjustments. Sometimes they don't even incorporate a checkdown in to the mix. 

His performance against pressure sometimes is a legit concern. its....not always great. Some concern over presnap judgments is probably worth a look (the Indiana game is probably the most extreme version of this as they were pretty consistently changing it up and masking things). I don't think that he's slow to process info....but he's.....methodical. He just plays at a slower pace. Hard to explain. He's not really often in a hurry and sometimes you kind of have to speed yourself up, especially in the NFL. Sort of a "I'm going to wait this extra second because I want to see it first" and paired with a release that can be a little longer makes it seem slower than he is. I don't think he's the fastest processor. I do think that Lance, for example, reads the field much better and faster, but I don't think that there's any major issues on Fields in that regard either.  

The OSU offense does him no favors  in terms of how he is presented, but lots of NFL throws, especially to the boundaries, so does help there. 

Yeah, this is what I wanted to say. I initially fell in with the crowd who chalked up Fields' main weakness as slow/unable to make progressions/process but I'm also no expert on Day's offense. Looking at it more/reading more into it, it definitely seems to just a matter of Fields' running the offense as it's drawn up, with a lot of longer developing option routes and not necessarily a lot of simple RPO or high/low, screen action going on.

As for the methodical thing, yeah, he definitely seems almost mechanical or robotic in that regard. It was exacerbated watching Wilson before who just whips it with zero effort, just such a clean delivery/release. I don't think it's a problem per se for Fields but it's also not ideal.

At the end of the day, I think Fields would be the perfect pick. His flaws have been overstated and he's been one of the best QBs in the nation the last couple of years with a ceiling that's about as high as anybody in the league.

• Like 2

That article on Cutler was a fantastic read on bleacher report and got me thinking if we do trade up for a QB I think that's an indication that we're all in on this coaching staff. It's rare a player thrives when guys who brought him into the building get canned.

9 hours ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

I’d be all in on fields.  Question is, can you afford to wait to see what SF does at 3, and then make the move?  Or do you need to pull the trigger on a trade with Atlanta, knowing you may end left with Lance or Jones.  Clearly the smart play is to wait, but will somebody else bite the bullet and pull the trigger on a trade before the draft?  Next 3 weeks are going to get might interesting 

There is a simple way to figure this out...Elway calls his buddy Lynch, or has his buddy Mike Shanahan who calls his son and ask who they are drafting...is there rules against this?  There are enough bridges between the Broncos and the 49ers to figure it out.

And, if the 49ers are selecting Fields, I am trading back and getting draft picks, because then Jones can be had later...and Lance is a project that needs to sit behind someone. 

Edited by jsthomp2007
2 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

There is a simple way to figure this out...Elway calls his buddy Lynch, or has his buddy Mike Shanahan call his son and ask who they are drafting...is there rules against this?  There are enough bridges between the Broncos and the 49ers to figure it out.

And, if the 49ers are selecting Fields, I am trading back and getting draft picks, because then I Jones can be had later...and Lance is a project that needs to sit behind someone. 

lol.  I keep saying this to my broncos buddies.   I'm sure with all our connections the niners would say yeah you idiots its either so and so vs so and so.  Give us two names and we can decide from there.  But my buddies who are more in than know than I say no one in the Sf organization even knows.  Apparently Lynch wants Mac and Shanny wants Lance - just what my friends tell me cuz I have no idea.   But if that's true my third highest rated qb Fields is available and I would like him oh so much!!  And there can't be rules against this could there?  Would you even believe what your told except for our close ties - like we traded them Sanders - it's not our fault Garapollo pulled a Lock and couldn't hit the side of a barn cuz it was over 25 yards out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  They owe us and they f***ed us with their stupid trade - lol

Ultimately, I do not see Denver making any trade until they see, with certainty, who is available at 4. Unless we have rock solid intel prior to that. And frankly, there's no guarantee that Atlanta even takes a QB, so we could still have a chance at moving up for QB between 5-7 if we really want.