What to do at QB?

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

On 4/11/2021 at 7:57 PM, Cutler06 said:

this is a QB-rich draft that may not happen again. 

I keep hearing this. Same thing we heard in 2018, 2012, and 2006. Every time it was a “historic QB rich class to challenge the famed 83 class” and every time it turned out to be projections from a bunch of QB needy teams. 

For my money there are 3 QBs I’d take with a first round pick. Lawrence, Wilson, and Fields. If one of them isn’t there don’t reach on a QB being artificially pushed up the boards. And just say no to Lance. QBs with less than 20 college starts simply don’t succeed in the NFL. 

• Like 5

Additionally next years class has 4 QBs that I’d put in the Fields/Wilson range in Howell, Nix, Rattler, and Slovis. I would be all for trading back with WFT or Chicago and picking up next years first to give us more ammo to grab one of them if Lock fails after his first full offseason. 

• Like 4
22 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Additionally next years class has 4 QBs that I’d put in the Fields/Wilson range in Howell, Nix, Rattler, and Slovis. I would be all for trading back with WFT or Chicago and picking up next years first to give us more ammo to grab one of them if Lock fails after his first full offseason. 

Nix? You’re not talking about Bo Nix, are you? I’m not even sure he’s starting caliber at the college level. Auburn fans should be praying for someone to transfer in and save them from another season of Bo Nix. He’s horrible. 

• Like 1

I also think Slovis is just a guy. I like Howell, reminds me of Baker. Pretty solid prospect. Rattler is the one with star potential for me. At this point I don’t think any compare to Lawrence or Fields but Rattler is the one who could maybe approach them. The rest don’t excite me at all. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Nix? You’re not talking about Bo Nix, are you? I’m not even sure he’s starting caliber at the college level. Auburn fans should be praying for someone to transfer in and save them from another season of Bo Nix. He’s horrible. 

I didn’t get to see much this year but last year I liked the tools, I’ll have to keep an eye on him this year (covid willing)

5 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I also think Slovis is just a guy. I like Howell, reminds me of Baker. Pretty solid prospect. Rattler is the one with star potential for me. At this point I don’t think any compare to Lawrence or Fields but Rattler is the one who could maybe approach them. The rest don’t excite me at all. 

I agree none of them are in the Lawrence class but I think there are a few in the fields/Wilson class. 

2 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I didn’t get to see much this year but last year I liked the tools, I’ll have to keep an eye on him this year (covid willing)

Hey, maybe he makes a leap in a more conventional offense this year. Not gonna say he has no chance and eat my words but what I saw last year made me think he’d have trouble making an NFL roster as a QB. Just wildly inaccurate and really poor pocket awareness. 

10 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I agree none of them are in the Lawrence class but I think there are a few in the fields/Wilson class. 

I can see it with another year of development from Rattler, he’s got special arm talent. I’m also probably higher on Fields than you and most people are, I can’t remember seeing that combo of elite athleticism + pinpoint accuracy in a QB prospect. It reminds me a little of Watson but I think Fields is in a pretty rare tier as an athlete and most of the previous guys in that tier struggled as pocket passers. 

The one thing I can say about next year’s crop is that it looks deep with guys who have intriguing tools. There are a lot of candidates who could emerge and make a leap. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
2 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I keep hearing this. Same thing we heard in 2018, 2012, and 2006. Every time it was a “historic QB rich class to challenge the famed 83 class” and every time it turned out to be projections from a bunch of QB needy teams. 

For my money there are 3 QBs I’d take with a first round pick. Lawrence, Wilson, and Fields. If one of them isn’t there don’t reach on a QB being artificially pushed up the boards. And just say no to Lance. QBs with less than 20 college starts simply don’t succeed in the NFL. 

While I get the "projections" (I am a victim to believing it this year), I agree exactly with the 3 QB's you noted, I do have some interest in Lance at #9 but not sure if he's must better than Lock, time will tell. If all 4 are gone, I'm doing the hard sell on the trade market for Mac Jones at 9 to get any type of ransom available and start build this defense for the future.

16 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

This is exactly where I come down.👏

It also would allow us a chance, if Lock fails and Paton cleans house after the season, to find a QB who fits our new HC and OC want to do offensively. If this year we draft an option QB  then we might not get a HC/OC who wants that kind of a QB and, in the same vein, if we draft a pocket QB with marginal physical tools (aka Mr. Honda Civic Mac Jones) then we could risk losing out on a HC/OC who wants an athletic QB. 

I know the Denver media, radio in particular, has gotten a lot of people to just totally hate Drew Lock but I am 100% fine giving him another year to see what we can get. Opting to not roll the dice on a QB just to take a QB this year is not going to set us back years. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

This is exactly where I come down.👏

It also would allow us a chance, if Lock fails and Paton cleans house after the season, to find a QB who fits our new HC and OC want to do offensively. If this year we draft an option QB  then we might not get a HC/OC who wants that kind of a QB and, in the same vein, if we draft a pocket QB with marginal physical tools (aka Mr. Honda Civic Mac Jones) then we could risk losing out on a HC/OC who wants an athletic QB. 

I know the Denver media, radio in particular, has gotten a lot of people to just totally hate Drew Lock but I am 100% fine giving him another year to see what we can get. Opting to not roll the dice on a QB just to take a QB this year is not going to set us back years. 

I'm mostly on this same line of thinking as well. I really do like Fields though so if he's there by pick 7, I wouldn't hesitate to trade a 3rd to get him. I'm just against trading multiple high round picks to shoot up to 4 and handicap ourselves the next few years. If Lock/Fangio don't work out, I'm rooting hard for Lincoln Riley. 

19 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

19 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Two great posts and I agree Rattler has potential but remember he got the boot senior year over conduct issues that have been kept hushed.  To me that's a huge red flag and was not that long ago.  With regard to this years crop I am so high on Fields.  I actually would take him at 2 if I was the Jets.  I just seem him as a better fit on a crappy team.  He has played against way better opposition and has done very well against it and the Jets will need someone who is mobile even if they grab a T at 18.   Also I guess today SI came out with an article on Lawrence saying football isn't the end all and be all for him.  I always point out that what is troubling to me about Lawrence is the fact that his freshman year was by far his best.  No real improvement after that and again pretty crappy competition throughout college save for the odd game.   I would really be doing my homework on Lawrence - why didn't he get better over the course of his college years?  

3 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

I'm rooting hard for Lincoln Riley. 

This is good man haha if Dallas couldn't steal him from college I don't see any team doing it I'd love to eat crow. I just don't see the incentive most have more stability, make more money than pro,  have an easier path really the key is recruiting. 

I just don't know what would make Lincoln leave Oklahoma he has it made there what's he make 11 million a year crazy.

• Like 1