What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

Just now, thebestever6 said:

This is good man haha if Dallas couldn't steal him from college I don't see any team doing it I'd love to eat crow. I just don't see the incentive most have more stability, make more money than pro,  have an easier path really the key is recruiting. 

I just don't know what would make Lincoln leave Oklahoma he has it made there what's he make 11 million a year crazy.

Yeah, definitely a pipe dream but at some point he might want to make the transition. Same thing could have been said about Pete Carroll, Urban Meyer, or to a lesser extent Kingsbury, Matt Rhule. Riley hasn't expressed any interest in the NFL quite yet though but who knows!    

Just now, grizmo78 said:

Yeah, definitely a pipe dream but at some point he might want to make the transition. Same thing could have been said about Pete Carroll, Urban Meyer, or to a lesser extent Kingsbury, Matt Rhule. Riley hasn't expressed any interest in the NFL quite yet though but who knows!    

Pete Carroll was being sanctioned for voliations in the college ranks iirc I don't think he had a choice. Also have read some shady things regarding Urban. It would be rare. He'd have to be paid Bill B money imo which is crazy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Pete Carroll was being sanctioned for voliations in the college ranks iirc I don't think he had a choice. Also have read some shady things regarding Urban. It would be rare. He'd have to be paid Bill B money imo which is crazy.

Yeah, it would probably have to look close (on the higher side) to the contract Matt Rhule got (7 year 70mil) but agreed. Highly unlikely for him to come here, let alone the NFL any time soon. Especially with his new contract. 

Edit: Actually his buyout is over March 2022 so that theoretically could coincide well with a coaching change. We would just have to hope he is willing/ready to come to the NFL and we pay him 8-9+/yr... New owner might be willing!

Edited by grizmo78
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, anewdawn said:

Two great posts and I agree Rattler has potential but remember he got the boot senior year over conduct issues that have been kept hushed.  To me that's a huge red flag and was not that long ago.  With regard to this years crop I am so high on Fields.  I actually would take him at 2 if I was the Jets.  I just seem him as a better fit on a crappy team.  He has played against way better opposition and has done very well against it and the Jets will need someone who is mobile even if they grab a T at 18.   Also I guess today SI came out with an article on Lawrence saying football isn't the end all and be all for him.  I always point out that what is troubling to me about Lawrence is the fact that his freshman year was by far his best.  No real improvement after that and again pretty crappy competition throughout college save for the odd game.   I would really be doing my homework on Lawrence - why didn't he get better over the course of his college years?  

The character stuff with Rattler is definitely concerning.

Yeah I’m on high alert for Zach Wilson in NY having disaster potential. If they get everything around him right, he’s got a shot. But right now I don’t love the fit of a one year wonder small school (in terms of competition) guy in an environment that can break young QBs. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

I'm mostly on this same line of thinking as well. I really do like Fields though so if he's there by pick 7, I wouldn't hesitate to trade a 3rd to get him. I'm just against trading multiple high round picks to shoot up to 4 and handicap ourselves the next few years. If Lock/Fangio don't work out, I'm rooting hard for Lincoln Riley. 

The positives on Fields - big arm, good athlete, played in a conference that plays defense - and the negatives - questions about his ability to process information quickly, read coverage, get the ball out quickly and some sloppy mechanics - makes him sound an awful lot like Drew Lock. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Yeah I’m on high alert for Zach Wilson in NY having disaster potential. If they get everything around him right, he’s got a shot. But right now I don’t love the fit of a one year wonder small school (in terms of competition) guy in an environment that can break young QBs. 

Maybe it's just the head band but I get jim mcmahon vibes with him idk if that's good or bad.

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The positives on Fields - big arm, good athlete, played in a conference that plays defense - and the negatives - questions about his ability to process information quickly, read coverage, get the ball out quickly and some sloppy mechanics - makes him sound an awful lot like Drew Lock. 

"While top prospects of recent years and legitimate NFL superstars in Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen scored high, Fields blew them both away and scored the highest in the test’s history among more than 6,500 pro athletes.

Because of Fields’ borderline photographic memory, there’s reason to believe he’ll have little trouble picking up an NFL playbook".   (Just found this but not sure how accurate it is - at this sportsnaut site).

sportsnaut.com/why-justin-fields-historic-test-score-is-a-big-deal/  I think the bold in AAA post has been debunked.  His coach rants about his ability to grasp information on the first take.  I just have a feeling that Fields initially slid for whatever reason and then the smart teams (hopefully us) piled on the garbage talk saying we have a fourth round grade on him so that he would be there when we or whoever were picking.  Seems though that he is being talked up of late.  Time will tell how it all plays out but I really like Fields.                                                                                                                      

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Biggest positive is he’s extremely accurate, by almost any metric you look at he’s the most accurate passer in the class. And he’s an elite athlete, legit 4.4 speed at 230 pounds. 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 2:49 PM, BroncoBruin said:

Biggest positive is he’s extremely accurate, by almost any metric you look at he’s the most accurate passer in the class. And he’s an elite athlete, legit 4.4 speed at 230 pounds. 

Well straight line, track, in your gym shorts, on your home facility, speed is a very important trait for a QB. Just look at Peyton’s or Tom’s or Drew’s or Aaron’s or Ben’s or Eli’s - 15 rings between them - speed in the 40 and how much that contributed to their success. 

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Well straight line, track, in your gym shorts, on your home facility, speed is a very important trait for a QB. Just look at Peyton’s or Tom’s or Drew’s or Aaron’s or Ben’s or Eli’s - 15 rings between them - speed in the 40 and how much that contributed to their success. 

You make a great point. I think Fields would probably be a better prospect if defenders breathing on him resulted in sacks ala Eli. That’s why those guys won all those rings — they couldn’t run away from their problems. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

lmao...............so lets make him a receiver like Lamar was asked to be

...did Elway leak the Broncos’ plans to Woody Paige and force the front office into damage control via other media guys? The way this played out today is quite curious to me.

...and then...

Notice the time stamps. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

On 4/16/2021 at 4:49 PM, BroncoBruin said:

Speaking of Woody.  He wrote the below in the Gazette the other day regarding a trade up with Atlanta.

"As for the compensation for that potential move, it doesn’t seem too awful if what Woody provided is accurate. He states that the Broncos would give up their 9th overall selection, a third-round pick in 21, and a 2022 first-rounder while receiving the Falcons' 4th overall selection and a fifth-round pick in return".

I strongly believe that Fields won't last past two.  I mean if you are processing what you are watching in the nfl these days as far as quaterback play you can completely understand the love that is starting to go Fields way.  Having said that if he's there at four fantastic and having said that if this is what it takes to move up to fourth overall I would also do it for Lance.  I've been watching more and more film of late and I like what I see in him too.  Eleven more days before we all know where we stand.

also it appears that Paton favours Fields slightly as far as preference goes

Edited by anewdawn
additional comment
  • Like 1