What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

Through all of this, I believe Paton has played his hand masterfully, I'd hate to play a game of chess or poker against him. I've always thought he would have interest in Bridgewater by far as a backup QB (if it comes to that). Now instead of having to trade for him, he may just get to sign him with cap space he's stashed, brilliant IMO. 

Do think the SF move caught him by surprise but that was out of his control.  Now, he stays pat without giving away what QB he's interested in, why move up if the prospect you want is taken already, don't be presumptuous and make a false step with ATL. Surprised the 49ers haven't made their selection known yet, no one can stop them outside the Jets, who all believe will take Zach Wilson anyway. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I think you can find out the price without calling I mean there was a blue print with going from 12-3 9 spots 3rd best qb in the draft.

9-4 5 spots 4th best qb in class. 

I think the traditional blue print for the move up will likely not apply here.  Thats why I commented the other week when Atlanta said it was taking calls for the pick.  I felt Atl would be stupid to trade prior to the draft.  Potentially Atlanta's pick may be the center of a bidding war.  Teams like us, Chicago, Washington and the Pats could potentially be interested.  I'm sure calls have been made and ideas exist but if someone gets desperate to move up who knows what offer gets made.  I think it may be the coolest ten minutes on the clock so to speak .  What works in our favour is 9 overall because if 4 qbs go in a row 9 still gets you a premiere weapon to help Ryan out which I think is the likely outcome in trading 4 overall or they would simply take a qb to groom.  The next best pick out of the mentioned group is the Pats at 15 which is quite a difference. 

19 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

I think the traditional blue print for the move up will likely not apply here.  Thats why I commented the other week when Atlanta said it was taking calls for the pick.  I felt Atl would be stupid to trade prior to the draft.  Potentially Atlanta's pick may be the center of a bidding war.  Teams like us, Chicago, Washington and the Pats could potentially be interested.  I'm sure calls have been made and ideas exist but if someone gets desperate to move up who knows what offer gets made.  I think it may be the coolest ten minutes on the clock so to speak .  What works in our favour is 9 overall because if 4 qbs go in a row 9 still gets you a premiere weapon to help Ryan out which I think is the likely outcome in trading 4 overall or they would simply take a qb to groom.  The next best pick out of the mentioned group is the Pats at 15 which is quite a difference. 

We might be a premier spot for a last qb

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

We might be a premier spot for a last qb

And that may be part of the incentive for ATL to trade with us, they will be more than likely to trade back again and gain even more assets than dealing with the Pats or CHI directly. Wouldn't surprise me if we "include" offers we've received for #9 for say Lance or Jones (can't see Fields lasting to our spot) to incentivize the Falcons FO. 

Edited by Cutler06
  • Like 2

Even if they take a QB, if Drew isn't traded, he's still very much in control of his fate. If he's progressed since last year, he'd win a competition vs. a rookie, and if he plays well, he keeps the job in 2021. At that point, he forces the front office into a decision, which I would consider a good problem. What does change is you now have the next plan in place if Drew flops and you're not totally desperate next year for a QB in a weaker class while picking somewhere in the teens. 

26 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

Or, perhaps Paton's plays forced SF's hand. Less variables on draft day.

The SF trade though did take away his choice between Lance and Fields, don't think he really wanted Jones. ATL trade changes dynamic is SF selects  MAc Jones IMO, DET pick comes in at a cheaper cost.

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Even if they take a QB, if Drew isn't traded, he's still very much in control of his fate. If he's progressed since last year, he'd win a competition vs. a rookie, and if he plays well, he keeps the job in 2021. At that point, he forces the front office into a decision, which I would consider a good problem. What does change is you now have the next plan in place if Drew flops and you're not totally desperate next year for a QB in a weaker class while picking somewhere in the teens. 

That’s my view as well.  Nothing would make me happier than Drew figuring it out and becoming the guy.  But I think you need to hedge your bet with him and if the chance to trade up get a QB works isn’t cost prohibitive then I think you gotta do it.  If neither works out that’s awful but you’re closer to the next guy, if both work out trade one

46 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Maybe just ONE is smoke

Miami has been looking to trade down a couple of spots and cinci seems locked in at Lt if Atlanta loves Pitts I can totally see a trade up to 6 for Lance because that's my dream scenario. 

I love Drew but if we were to add competition I think Lance is the swing for the fence move I wouldn't hate. He's one of the most polarizing supremely gifted hit or miss boom bust guys I have seen.

If Drew Succeeds having Lance as a trade chip in future years is genius. He'll dominate pre Season and just his tools and measurable his trade level will be super stable so it's a hedge your bets swing for the fence move. 

Edited by thebestever6
  • Like 1

They may not end up taking a QB, but it’s not just smoke. I don’t think they’re going to pull the trigger on a trade up but if Fields/Lance is there at 9, I’d be floored if they don’t take one of them. 

My impression with Paton is you’re not going to catch him in a desperate move. He may miss out on some opportunities by not being overly aggressive, but he’s also going to be rewarded for his patience a lot of the time and get players he wants without giving up value. We saw this with the Kyle Fuller and Kareem Jackson signings. I would have traded a Day 3 pick for Fuller. Paton didn’t have to.