What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

44 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

I mentioned this possibility in another forum last week:  Paton could trade Denver's 2021 #9 pick for the 2022 first round pick of a team that is likely to be drafting in the top two next year.  (Might even score some additional picks in the bargain.)  The geeks who came up with this approach called it a "Howell Movement".

I wouldn’t mind this. My dream is to trade back with a say WFT or Bears team for next years first (even if we have to throw in a third) if Fields is gone.

As for Mond, I would rather take him AT 9 than take Lance there (obviously hyperbole but that’s how much I don’t want Lance in the first). If he falls to the third I would take a flier on him with the understanding that it in no way impacts what we do next year. 

• Like 1

Klis just said on 104.3 that he thinks DEN ranks 3-5 QBs as (3) Jones (4) Fields (5) Lance BECAUSE Shurmur would need to alter his offensive scheme the least for Jones...!  If you're drafting a QB in the top 10 of R1 you're hoping they have a top-10 ceiling - who gives a f*** about Shurmur's scheme and the 2021 outcome.  This is a 2023+ play. 

I hope for our sake this is a testament to Klis' aloofness rather than DEN's decision making process.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Klis just said on 104.3 that he thinks DEN ranks 3-5 QBs as (3) Jones (4) Fields (5) Lance BECAUSE Shurmur would need to alter his offensive scheme the least for Jones...!  If you're drafting a QB in the top 10 of R1 you're hoping they have a top-10 ceiling - who gives a f*** about Shurmur's scheme and the 2021 outcome.  This is a 2023+ play. 

I hope for our sake this is a testament to Klis' aloofness rather than DEN's decision making process.  

I mean I would flip jones and fields (in fact I have fields as #2) but that’s the way I have it too. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I wouldn’t mind this. My dream is to trade back with a say WFT or Bears team for next years first (even if we have to throw in a third) if Fields is gone.

Yes.  Better one FRP this year than 2+ next year.  FWIW, I'm rather optimistic about Washington;  I had two other teams in mind.  No biggy.  (I'd take Fields at #9 but not reach for him.)

As for Mond, I would rather take him AT 9 than take Lance there (obviously hyperbole but that’s how much I don’t want Lance in the first). If he falls to the third I would take a flier on him with the understanding that it in no way impacts what we do next year.  

QB9 Mond was PFF ranked 132nd and I'm not seeing many mocks taking him in the first three rounds.  I'd consider Kyle Trask (44th ranked, but also not in the first three rounds in many mocks) in the third round but the odds of a QB5 or QB6 succeeding aren't good, even in such a strong class as this.  Barring a stroke of luck, it is looking like the Broncos will have to go with Drew Lock again.

46 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Yes.  Better one FRP this year than 2+ next year.  FWIW, I'm rather optimistic about Washington;  I had two other teams in mind.  No biggy.  (I'd take Fields at #9 but not reach for him.)

QB9 Mond was PFF ranked 132nd and I'm not seeing many mocks taking him in the first three rounds.  I'd consider Kyle Trask (44th ranked, but also not in the first three rounds in many mocks) in the third round but the odds of a QB5 or QB6 succeeding aren't good, even in such a strong class as this.  Barring a stroke of luck, it is looking like the Broncos will have to go with Drew Lock again.

Does any rookie QB (after Lance/Jones/Fields) have as much upside as Drew Lock?  

• Like 3

Hearing Mills is being considered as QB6 that could go in the 1st  round. I like the Stanford kid but I had him as a late 3rd rounder at best. Big arm and has some accuracy but not mobile and has slow reads from what I'm hearing. I'd be surprised if he goes before Day 2

12 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Hearing Mills is being considered as QB6 that could go in the 1st  round. I like the Stanford kid but I had him as a late 3rd rounder at best. Big arm and has some accuracy but not mobile and has slow reads from what I'm hearing. I'd be surprised if he goes before Day 2

Highly recruited out of highschool.  Wears a knee brace due to a knee injury (2017) which is the concern regarding him especially as it pertains to his mobility.  He has supposedly checked out medically though.  I really like this kid but I like MOND more.  

1 hour ago, bMiller031 said:

Does any rookie QB (after Lance/Jones/Fields) have as much upside as Drew Lock?  

The short answer is "no".  Not in 2021 and not after Lawrence, Wilson, Jones, and Fields go.  I'm not brimming with confidence in Drew either, though.

12 hours ago, The Helicopter said:

How upset would people be if one of Fields, Lance, or Jones is available at pick #9, and we trade back instead?

Yea - I would take fields or Lance in a second - but trade down if it was Jones and hope I didn't end up with egg on my face in the future.

20 hours ago, The Helicopter said:

How upset would people be if one of Fields, Lance, or Jones is available at pick #9, and we trade back instead?

1. Fields - Surprised

2. Lance - Relieved

3. Jones - Indifferent

Justin Fields could go out and win a fair few games for the Broncos.  The less said about Trey Lance the better.  Denver lacks a number of the prerequisites for success with Mac Jones.

And it's not that I think Mac Jones is bad, far from it.  I think he has a chance to be a decent starter and I actually think it's unlikely that he ends up the worst of the 5 based on the things he can already do that translate. But I'd much rather swing for the fences than invest in a Mac Jones. I feel like you're always going to be wanting more if his situation isn't perfect. 

• Like 1