What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

16 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

And it's not that I think Mac Jones is bad, far from it.  I think he has a chance to be a decent starter and I actually think it's unlikely that he ends up the worst of the 5 based on the things he can already do that translate. But I'd much rather swing for the fences than invest in a Mac Jones. I feel like you're always going to be wanting more if his situation isn't perfect. 

This. I think Jones will end up being Andy Dalton 2.0 whereas one of the others (and I’m not sure which) will be an outright bust.

Someone like Lance has an equal chance of being Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen as he does of being EJ Manuel, which for me is better than drafting Jones and consigning your team to mediocrity. 

Edited by paul-mac

22 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

And it's not that I think Mac Jones is bad, far from it.  I think he has a chance to be a decent starter and I actually think it's unlikely that he ends up the worst of the 5 based on the things he can already do that translate. But I'd much rather swing for the fences than invest in a Mac Jones. I feel like you're always going to be wanting more if his situation isn't perfect. 

6 hours ago, paul-mac said:

This. I think Jones will end up being Andy Dalton 2.0 whereas one of the others (and I’m not sure which) will be an outright bust.

Someone like Lance has an equal chance of being Patrick Mahomes or Josh Allen as he does of being EJ Manuel, which for me is better than drafting Jones and consigning your team to mediocrity. 

You could even go as high as a Derek Carr type outcome - perennial starter, and usually extended for 2nd contract without too much controversy - and in this division with Mahomes and now Herbert, it's reaching too low ceiling wise.    Vegas kicking the tires on QB’s and dealing Carr (who’s not expensive at today’s rates) shows even the team that has him sees this. 

Pre-Mahomes/Herbert, when it was Alex Smith, Philip Rivers & Derek Carr, even "just" top 12-15 play would have kept us in the running for the division each year.    But to do it consistently now, and get to the Final 4 - the bar for QB play to keep teams coming back is simply higher than that type of player.   That's my issue with Mac Jones.    

Wish I knew who was the bust guy - but you need the home run ceiling with an early Rd1 pick now.    In other divisions, you get the Derek Carr result for a Rd1 pick....it's OK.   In the AFCW, it's not enough.  It's a big reason why Paton has explored QB upgrades, because Lock's ceiling sure looks to be in a similar range (and his floor is lower than established starters obviously), albeit for different reasons.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 6:17 PM, The Helicopter said:

How upset would people be if one of Fields, Lance, or Jones is available at pick #9, and we trade back instead?

Extremely furious. Odds are 1 of either Fields or Lance will be there at #9. If the Broncos take Parsons or trade down with either Fields/Lance on the board I will most likely slam something off my table lol

Maybe not so much Lance because his upside is similar to what Lock already is, but passing on Fields would put me over the edge and make me spin off the face of the earth

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

On 4/23/2021 at 11:29 AM, bMiller031 said:

Klis just said on 104.3 that he thinks DEN ranks 3-5 QBs as (3) Jones (4) Fields (5) Lance BECAUSE Shurmur would need to alter his offensive scheme the least for Jones...!  If you're drafting a QB in the top 10 of R1 you're hoping they have a top-10 ceiling - who gives a f*** about Shurmur's scheme and the 2021 outcome.  This is a 2023+ play. 

I hope for our sake this is a testament to Klis' aloofness rather than DEN's decision making process.  

That is troubling. Again, I generally don't put too much stock into what Klis says when he's donning the "analyst" hat. 

To be perfectly blunt, if we take Mac Jones I'll turn on George Paton pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Interesting quote in Feldman’s draft article today. A QB coach was talking about his interview with Zach Wilson: 

I expected him to be Drew Lock-ish (in his interview); I did not get that vibe. He was great; smart. “

😬😬😬

OOF

37 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Makes you wonder what did John Elway value in interviews with QBs? Guys who look like they’d be fun beer pong teammates? 

Yeah between Jay Cutler, Paxton Lynch and Drew Lock the Broncos have had the all "I'm just doing this for beer money back at the frat house" QB class.

This is my daily post to please do whatever is needed to get Justin Fields. Don't be idiots. 

Edited by AkronsWitness