What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

I am p*ssed – we need a QB and we have to keep trying to get one until we succeed. Even if the Broncos can snag Rodgers – he is 37 years old and assuming he avoids injuries he would have to be replaced in a couple of years. Drafting a QB now would allow him to develop behind Rodgers and take over in a couple of years.

Fields may never become an NFL QB – drafting a QB is a crap-shoot – but drafting a QB with a top ten rating significantly increases your chances of getting a good one. Passing up on the opportunity when you are there is a bone-head move.

Paton compounded the mistake of not taking Fields when he fell into his lap by not trading down with the Bears. The Giants got 1.20 and 5.164 this year and a first and fourth rounder next year. That first rounder next year could be a top ten pick.

The Broncos may have got a top CB – but that is not the point. Without a QB this team, no matter how good the defence, will not be able to compete with KC and the Chargers.

This all smacks of a rookie GM who played it mega safe – and his entire GM career could be ruined if Fields (of Jones) becomes a franchise QB. And he passed up an opportunity to trade down for future draft capital when he made the stupid decision not to take Fields.

And what is the end result of all of this – we still need a bloody QB.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Drew Lock being incapable of handling Shurmur’s offense is more of an indictment of Drew Lock. Plenty of QBs with less talent have had their best production under Shurmur and Daniel Jones played well above expectations as a rookie. 

Lock was picking up Shurmur's offense down the stretch last year... Shurmur just threw the whole scheme at him and his young WRs at the beginning of the year with no offseason to build chemistry and to get on the same page.  No QB would have been able to do that on his 6th start... let alone in a new in a new system...  Anyway, blame aside... Here is the best evaluation I have seen on Drew Lock.  Take a look and tell me what you think after view it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ClockWorkOrange said:

Lock was picking up Shurmur's offense down the stretch last year... Shurmur just threw the whole scheme at him and his young WRs at the beginning of the year with no offseason to build chemistry and to get on the same page.  No QB would have been able to do that on his 6th start... let alone in a new in a new system...  Anyway, blame aside... Here is the best evaluation I have seen on Drew Lock.  Take a look and tell me what you think after view it.  

I haven't given up completely on Lock - but he needs to make a major jump.

I posted a video by Jenkins comparing Lock to Bridgewater and there is no comparison - Bridgewater is streets ahead of where Lock is and Lock needs to improve substantially on what Bridgewater brings to the party to be regarded as the future at QB.

36 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

I haven't given up completely on Lock - but he needs to make a major jump.

I posted a video by Jenkins comparing Lock to Bridgewater and there is no comparison - Bridgewater is streets ahead of where Lock is and Lock needs to improve substantially on what Bridgewater brings to the party to be regarded as the future at QB.

I have not seen that evaluation... I will look for it.  I am not surprised at what you say however.  He is still very raw.

36 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

So when the Broncos trade for Rogers.  Do we become the destination for aging QBs and their last stand?  I mean, I have no problem with that really. It's not a bad business model considering how long QB play today.

Actually I love that model... Focus on building team depth with layers of OL talent, offensive weapons, defensive dominance (my fav), save the picks for BPA and trade back BPA to do all that..., and then leave the lights on for veteran QBs that are tired of having to pick themselves up after every play, starting the drive from their own 15, and not having weapons to throw to...   I think you are on to something there:).  In contrast, I would hate to be SF right now needing to build a team without 3 firsts and a 3rd just so I can groom a QB for two years from now who will then have a depleted team around him...

4 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I'm curious how this front office feels about Mind, Trask , Mills , Newman. I still think there's some starter upside potential there.

Day two will be fun

I'm not exactly stoked about rolling into the season with a teddy b/lock combo but spinning the roulette wheel on another 2nd/3rd round QB would make me question the Paton hiring before his first NFL game. 

There are still plenty of guys on the board that can not only compete for starting jobs but fill out the much needed depth on the roster.

4 minutes ago, rcpbawler said:

I'm not exactly stoked about rolling into the season with a teddy b/lock combo but spinning the roulette wheel on another 2nd/3rd round QB would make me question the Paton hiring before his first NFL game. 

There are still plenty of guys on the board that can not only compete for starting jobs but fill out the much needed depth on the roster.

In sure some of the guys I listed will fall Into round 3 and later .

Fwiw for those that question the "price" it would take to land Rodgers, remember, he is probably one of the most physically gifted quarterbacks we've seen. There is little chance we'll see a zombie Peyton manning level drop off anytime soon and he's coming off an mvp season. If there is any chance at landing him you explore all avenues