What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

As I’ve mentioned before, as far as “What to do at QB”, I think we’ve already done it.

All the talk has been about Drew, Fields, trade for Rodgers,etc.  For some reason the talk hasn’t had much to do with Bridgewater which surprises me. Personally, I think he’ll be our starter from day 1 and never look back.

There’s a whole lot to like about him. Had he not had his ugly leg injury which effectively cost him 2 years he’d still be the Vikings starter. Pro bowl in his second year and really developing well. After his return he sat behind Brees for two years, quite a great learning experience, and when Brees went down with an injury Teddy stepped in, played great and went 5-0 in Brees absence.

No QB could have been successful in Carolina the next year. Lousy team, brand new staff, new systems and lost their only real weapon in McCaffery for the season after 3 games.

This year he’s got his chance to jump start his career. He’s only 28 and a seasoned NFL vet. A career completion rate of 66%. He won’t take this opportunity lightly and yes, he’s plenty good enough to win a SB on a good team. 

IMO Lock will have to step up his game incredibly to win the job.

Eh, Teddy was basically a game manager on a stacked NO team when he went 5-0. Not a slight against him but that's who he is.

Learning a new offense and losing your franchise RB for most of the season isn't ideal but Teddy was jettisoned (from a reasonable contract as far as starting QB are concerned) for a reason. He wasn't good. Only real weapon? Robby Anderson, DJ Moore and Curtis Samuel were one of the better receiving trios you'll find. He had weapons, he was simply average/below average most of the year. Why would Carolina be willing to trade for one of the worst statistical quarterbacks the last 3 years to become the starter over teddy if he wasn't part of the problem? I dare you to watch the last 8 games of Carolina's season and tell me that guy could win a superbowl.

I know it gets tiresome constantly talking about QB but it's the reality of the situation when you've been in a QB quagmire the last 5+ seasons (coincidentally with zero playoff appearances). I would love more than anything for either Drew or Bridgewater to prove me wrong. Fwiw, if we don't land Rodgers, I'm pulling very hard for Drew to take the next step and would rather roll into week 1 with him as QB1.

This will be a fascinating season for a lot of reasons, but it's truly going to be make or break for a lot of folks within the organization. Denver is clearly willing to give either Lock or Teddy the weapons needed to succeed, and the defense to back them up. That said, this offense needs to average about 24ppg to turn the corner. If we can't get there with a second offseason under the same staff and more offensive weapons, everyone sans Paton needs to go. This is Fangio's last chance IMO. 

I would even go as far as saying a wild card birth as a 10-7/9-8 team isn't enough for QB to not be re-assessed in 2022. The Broncos need to become a more consistent offensive team and if we don't, then we need to make an actual concerted effort to improve the QB position instead of kicking the can down the road and selecting our 5th choice at QB.

Jenkins made an interesting point when he did the comparison of Teddy and Lock.

He argued that Teddy is rock solid - but never ‘hunts’ - the definition of a game manager. In contrast Lock hunts constantly to the detriment of protecting the ball and take what the defence is giving you.

Bridgewater would win a competition hands down unless Lock learns to protect the ball and know when to hunt.

Saying that - if those are our two options you have to go into the season with Lock as starter - you have to find out if he progressed. The problem is that the coaching staff are playing for their jobs and they will make decisions based on what is more likely to get the win.

If Lock is a bust and Paton doesn’t get Rodgers - then the decision not to take Fields at 1.9 will haunt his GM career (and the team) for how ever long he is here (and it could make that a very short stint depending on the new owners).

Edited by jolly red giant

So whatever happen with the Rodgers trade?  I heard on Thursday night they were talking to GB and Schlereth (sp) was saying a deal was all but done.  Some people vaguely mentioned that we screwed up the deal and GB backed out, but I have not seen any reports talking about this.  Is there any articles out there that explain what happen?  I know there is a chance they wait till June 2 to trade him, but feel like I missing something.  Did we screw up the deal or was this just Schlereth talking out his bum.  Based on what you guys heard and read, do you feel we still have a good chance to get him or should I not get my hopes up.

11 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Really ? Lock has way more upside I think teddy only had 15 tds 11 picks lock went 16-15 couple rushing tds.

I think he's jake plummer like teddy B and drew is the young jay cutler gun slinger. But teddy hasn't been in this offense for years like Jake.

Teddy spent two years with Shurmur in Minnesota.

2 hours ago, bMiller031 said:

Does he have a no trade? 

No, he doesn't. However, he's got his list of teams he wants and that's LVR, you guys and SF -- SF is definitely out and all he has to do is say "I'll retire if you trade me to that team" 

• Like 1

As a contrast - Denver went from 80-1 to win the SB to 20-1.   Division 16-1 to 6-1 same as LAC.   Vegas isn’t hard news - but they clearly get if A-Rod is moving Denver is easily the number 1 spot.  

Honestly the leverage A-Rod has, I’d predict 2 things: 

-The pick return doesn’t match the Wilson / Watson range because A-ARod retirement option is very real.  Jeopardy career is actually viable and ends up paying off in the long run even if he had to pay back the 11M bonus.  (less $ per year obv but 10-20 years fixed income).   Like how Romo is set.  

-Along the same lines, doubt the starter is a young player in year 1-2 rookie deal unless its a CB swap - and then it counts to reduce the draft capital.  A-Rod himself won’t let the deal hurt the team he’s doing to.    If it’s not Surtain / Stokes swap then more likely it’s a player who’s about to get pricey - Chubb or Sutton.  That way Paton can bring on ARod contract rise and still have a ton of cap flexubility to upgrade 2022 (not just total cap space but relative position to other teams gets preserved).  

My guess if a deal went down would be 2022-23 firsts and Surtain / Stokes swap.    Before ppl balk at the price - the firsts are very likely in mid 20’s with ARod as the QB.   That’s worth 1.9 alone.   The Surtain / Stokes swap makes it a high first / 20’s type net return.   I’d definitely sign off on that.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

What's the path for Aaron Rogers to tear up his contract (pays back whatever money he owes - honestly, Denver could easily cover this in a new bonus) and signs with Denver...this is ideal for us because we don't lose any players or picks.

Wouldn’t this require GB agree and facilitate?  Don’t know why they’d do that with no comp.

2 minutes ago, bMiller031 said:

Wouldn’t this require GB agree and facilitate?  Don’t know why they’d do that with no comp.

Yea - it has to be by mutual agreement - and GB won't agree to that.

Rodgers can threaten to retire to force a trade. If he were to retire then GB would be hit with $38.35million in dead cap money this season and not get any compensation. However, Rodgers would not be able to come out of retirement and sign for another team until the end of his GB contract (which would be 2024).

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

My guess if a deal went down would be 2022-23 firsts and Surtain / Stokes swap.    Before ppl balk at the price - the firsts are very likely in mid 20’s with ARod as the QB.   That’s worth 1.9 alone.   The Surtain / Stokes swap makes it a high first / 20’s type net return.   I’d definitely sign off on that.  

The Packers really don’t have much leverage.  This is a deal that makes some sense.  GB CBs outside of Alexander got absolutely torched last year.  Surtain provides day 1 impact for a team that needs it at the position.  Makes sense for Denver as well.  Stokes has talent, but might not be ready right away which makes Denver a nice landing spot and still gives them depth.