What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

1 hour ago, jolly red giant said:

Yea - it has to be by mutual agreement - and GB won't agree to that.

Rodgers can threaten to retire to force a trade. If he were to retire then GB would be hit with $38.35million in dead cap money this season and not get any compensation. However, Rodgers would not be able to come out of retirement and sign for another team until the end of his GB contract (which would be 2024).

Sounds like Rodgers has some leverage...

I mean, if playing for GB is just not an option for him he could:

1) retire and do whatever he wants (except play football)

2) 'threaten' to retire and come up with an arrangement with ownership that voids his contract and makes him a free agent.

3) wait it out and see if someone comes up with a deal

Edited by The Helicopter

On 5/1/2021 at 4:40 PM, Broncofan said:

They can ask.  They also have no leverage.  They aren’t in control given A-Rod age and absolute breakdown in the relationship.    

2 firsts and Chubb in his last cheap year I could see.  Or 2 plus Fuller.   I don’t see 3 1sts plus the starter. 

But does GB need any leverage?.  A-Rod has mentioned the LVR as a possibility.  I can see them including Carr in a package and at least two if not three firsts.  If I was GB I would want three firsts at least but who knows what offers are tabled.   If GB is not sure Love can play this year with quality then you would want Carr.   At the end of the 21 season you can resign Carr if your read on Love is no good or let Carr loose if Love is ready to step up.  I think the Carr option is key as it keeps them competitive in the Conference still.  I get that GB seems in a hole but A-Rod is a premiere QB for at least the next three years and teams will get in a gunfight for that type of merchandise.  Imagine if this scenario were to unfold as it would mean Mahomes, Herbert and Rodgers as our foes and us with what we have and no fn Fields!!  GB is sitting pretty actually as division rivals go at it for a key piece of artillery.  GB will undoubtedly keep each team appraised as to where the current offer stands.  Not sure what Paton's definition of a haul is as Chicago's trade up was rejected by him but I think he is going to learn what a haul is when GB is said and done with this.  Course if Love is actually ready none of this flies but who here believes that? 

Edited by anewdawn
additional comment

One player to include in the potential Rodgers trade would be Teddy B. Green Bay would likely want a veteran mentor/backup/spot starter as insurance for Love and I’d wager they’d prefer Teddy to Drew. 

I could see a deal with Teddy+
 + Sutton/Chubb + 2022 and 2023 1sts for Rodgers. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

One player to include in the potential Rodgers trade would be Teddy B. Green Bay would likely want a veteran mentor/backup/spot starter as insurance for Love and I’d wager they’d prefer Teddy to Drew. 

I have no idea how Love has looked in his time at GB, but I can tell you as someone who watched him play in college that I was very happy Denver didn't take him. GB will need a legit starter, Love aint it. Honestly if I'm Denver I give GB whatever the hell they want. 

Listen up Denver.    You need to pony up some draft picks and players *IF*the Packers trade Rodgers.  It comes down to this

You are in a division with Mahomes and the upstart Herbert.

That leaves Denver and Las Vegas looking up for the next 10 years

One of you is getting Rodgers and a shot at contention, the other becomes a annual division bottom feeder.

You know Gruden will slobber and offer the moon for Rodgers,   whats Denver offering????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I keep seeing speculation as to what we offer.  Stuff like this and man it's a lot.  Not sure it ends up being enough.  Carr coming over would entice me a lot as GB. Does Carr and three first outdo an offer like this?  Not sure.  Man in a way I would have been way more content with simply drafting Fields.  I think in a year he'd be well on his way......We are going to get into one hell of a bidding war and as the NFL Guru posted the loser rests in the cellar to be there a long, long time 

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

Listen up Denver.    You need to pony up some draft picks and players *IF*the Packers trade Rodgers.  It comes down to this

One of you is getting Rodgers and a shot at contention, the other becomes a annual division bottom feeder.

You know Gruden will slobber and offer the moon for Rodgers,   whats Denver offering????

Funny, you remind me of that little chihuahua dog that barks up and down at the pitbull......LMAO

GB has ZERO leverage and bringing up Mahomes, well, we just saw how to handle him in the last SB. Paton does not appear to be a fearful reactionist, he'll handle it like a controlled pitbull...which makes you the other dog.  We are most certainly looking into a trade just have to see what's best for the team. And honestly, can't see the Raiders being used as more than leverage, we're looking like a top 5 defense, a lot of young talent on offense, and is situated 45mins from where his fiance' lives......what does the Raiders have besides a new stadium, a crazy coach and a GM with no real football experience  ?

Edited by Cutler06
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

Funny, you remind me of that little chihuahua dog that barks up and down at the pitbull......LMAO

GB has ZERO leverage and bringing up Mahomes, well, we just saw how to handle him in the last SB. Paton does not appear to be a fearful reactionist, he'll handle it like a controlled pitbull...which makes you the other dog.  We are most certainly looking into a trade just have to see what's best for the team. And honestly, can't see the Raiders being used as more than leverage, we're looking like a top 5 defense, a lot of young talent on offense, and is situated 45mins from where his fiance' lives......what does the Raiders have besides a new stadium, a crazy coach and a GM with no real football experience  ?

It's also pretty clear A-Rod can use the threat of retirement (and going off to host Jeopardy - crazy that it's legit, but Alex Trebek made 10M a year being the host - https://www.distractify.com/p/how-much-does-alex-trebek-make-per-show#).     Normally, ppl say "how does A-Rod pay back that 11M?".   Well, when you make 10M+ a year indefinitely, suddenly that 11M bonus money return doesn't look like much of a disincentive.   So he can use the retirement threat to pick his destination - and given how the draft went down, DEN's appeal only went up.

This is a unique situation, in that the player has a viable alternative to playing that's going to be extended, if he retires.    This is even more leverage than Tony Romo going to CBS and making 5-8M a year (now 10M).    It's not like Denver can just get him for nothing, though - GB won't release A-Rod if he retires, they will keep him on the restricted list - which means he can't be signed later on, he's still under GB contract.    But Rodgers' age works against him - making him sit out a year craters his trade value.   So Green Bay is going to be have to deal him to get their best return.  Waiting a year only makes his trade value go down significantly.

Add it up, I'm confident in saying Denver won't have to pay the same kind of package being discussed with Wilson & Watson of 3 1sts (and one of them being a top 10 pick in 1.9) & a good player.   I'd still believe it's 2 firsts (realizing they'll likely be in the 20's) plus said player, and I don't think it's a guy cheap in his rookie deal, but someone about to get expensive, given A-Rod's cap addition (so think Chubb or Sutton - if Surtain is involved, more likely it's a Surtain-for-Stokes, but likely factored into the deal pric-wise as well).

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

The dream scenario is that he zeroes in on Denver as a destination and makes it clear that’s where he’ll re-sign if traded. How realistic is that? I don’t know. My worry is Miami, they’re easily able to outgun us in a trade if they want to. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

31 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I’m being greedy not wanting to give up good players but I’d really love if it’s just a couple 1’s, a couple Day 2’s and one of the QBs. 

I’m ok if it’s a player who’s going to get expensive in 2022.  It’s not like we can keep everyone. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

The dream scenario is that he zeroes in on Denver as a destination and makes it clear that’s where he’ll re-sign if traded. How realistic is that? I don’t know. My worry is Miami, they’re easily able to outgun us in a trade if they want to. 

My geography isn't very good, but I don't Miami is that close to the west coast.  

4 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Hmmm, Denver an offer really, really, really, really good breakfast burritos. 

51 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

He’s picked the West coast because his fiancée Shailene Woodley lives in Boulder and works mostly in LA.