Cubs trade Yu Darvish, Victor Caratini to Padres for Zach Davies and 4 prospects

beekay414

24 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If the Cubs decide to rebuild, fair enough. You can make that decision and be a competitively minded franchise.

But if they decide to go that route, they can still prioritize spending money to get better prospects. They could have eaten more of Yu's contract to improve the return, they could have tendered Meatball a contract in the hope of trading him midseason if he could rebound, etc. etc. They didn't, because they valued profits over on-field talent. Plain and simple.

The Cubs are rebuilding. It's why Theo left. You expect the Cubs to pay 20+ million for Campusano or Weathers? Seems even stupider to spend that kind of money on prospects.

1 minute ago, Slateman said:

The Cubs are rebuilding. It's why Theo left. You expect the Cubs to pay 20+ million for Campusano or Weathers? Seems even stupider to spend that kind of money on prospects.

I didn't put a specific number on what the Cubs had to eat on Yu's deal, because they dumped literally every penny of it they could. Any portion of his contract, even $15MM spread out over 3 years, could have dramatically improved the return. Instead, those dollars are going in the Rickett's pocket,

You can't possibly justify that as a sound baseball decision.

1 minute ago, Slateman said:

Who is good that is selling? 

Cardinals with Wong
Cleveland with Hand
Twins with Rosario
Tampa trading Snell off a WS berth

A bunch of teams are cutting payroll. I never said anything about "selling." That doesn't even include the Phillies and Yankees still not having an "acceptable" contract with Realmuto/DJL.

5 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Cardinals with Wong
Cleveland with Hand
Twins with Rosario
Tampa trading Snell off a WS berth

A bunch of teams are cutting payroll. I never said anything about "selling." That doesn't even include the Phillies and Yankees still not having an "acceptable" contract with Realmuto/DJL.

Personally, i think the Yankees are trying to get Lindor, or Arenado before signing DJLM. I have nothing to base this off of except a hunch.

16 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Cardinals with Wong

Honestly, this move was worse than the Yu trade IMO. At least with Yu, there's an academic argument that the Cubs got precisely the prospects they wanted and those guys will turn into monsters.

Wong is fairly steady 3 WAR player, and the Cardinals turned down 1 year/$12MM for that. 

On 12/30/2020 at 7:13 AM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Honestly, this move was worse than the Yu trade IMO. At least with Yu, there's an academic argument that the Cubs got precisely the prospects they wanted and those guys will turn into monsters.

Wong is fairly steady 3 WAR player, and the Cardinals turned down 1 year/$12MM for that. 

Supposedly the Cardinals have been discussing a new deal with Wong, presumably for less money.