Brian Daboll is the real deal. Should be a HC Next year. Jags or Bolts best fits

brushmyhair

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Raheem Morris might be the exception to me crapping on failed HCs. At least he was very young when he got his shot and working in a difficult situation.

So you're not a fan of Marvin Lewis or Jim Caldwell?

To me, I see two guys who were in awful organization that haven't touched success often in their history and went down the toilet since leaving. Both have terrible ownership, in tough divisions, and still kept them uber competitive (Marvin having Andy Dalton w/ PIT and BAL while still being in the thick of the division definitely weigh on the mind).

Too each their own, I get that retreads aren't seen in a great light. But I like both.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

To me, I see two guys who were in awful organization that haven't touched success often in their history and went down the toilet since leaving. Both have terrible ownership, in tough divisions, and still kept them uber competitive (Marvin with Andy Dalton w/ PIT and BAL in division definitely weigh on the mind).

Too each their own, I get that retreads aren't seen in a great light. But I like both.

I think both Marvin and Caldwell are both guys that can turn a franchise around in the sense that they won’t embarrass you. Teams that need a drastic change of scenery and need to right the ship would do well with either of those guys. I don’t see either of them as coaches that will take you to a ceiling though. 

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

To me, I see two guys who were in awful organization that haven't touched success often in their history and went down the toilet since leaving. Both have terrible ownership, in tough divisions, and still kept them uber competitive (Marvin having Andy Dalton w/ PIT and BAL while still being in the thick of the division definitely weigh on the mind).

You're about to draft Trevor Lawrence. You have literally the best selling point of any team this off-season. Why would you want to settle for two average HCs? Yes, they can get you to the playoffs and build culture, but neither of those guys is going to elevate your team. It doesn't make sense to me to settle for good enough. You are sitting on a ton of picks, a generational QB at the #1 overall pick, and oodles of cap room. This is your championship window opening. Go after it.

• Like 1

Just now, bigbadbuff said:

I think both Marvin and Caldwell are both guys that can turn a franchise around in the sense that they won’t embarrass you. Teams that need a drastic change of scenery and need to right the ship would do well with either of those guys. I don’t see either of them as coaches that will take you to a ceiling though. 

That's fair. I get we have Trevor incoming, but we fit that to a tee to be fair.

I also am not so sure that they can't, although I get they haven't before (Caldwell did go to a SB with Indy though...). You're pairing them with likely the best QB they've ever had (besides Peyton/Indy), you're giving them an owner who will give you any and all resources you need, and you have all the capital in the world to build it how you want.

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

You're about to draft Trevor Lawrence. You have literally the best selling point of any team this off-season. Why would you want to settle for two average HCs? Yes, they can get you to the playoffs and build culture, but neither of those guys is going to elevate your team. It doesn't make sense to me to settle for good enough. You are sitting on a ton of picks, a generational QB at the #1 overall pick, and oodles of cap room. This is your championship window opening. Go after it.

I agree, I’m not sure who that guy is but hopefully they can find their McVay, Shanny, McDermott, or Flores.  Those 4 guys as of now are the future of NFL HC’s IMO.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I think both are definitely better than average, but I get your point. From a fan of a team that has had a ****ty environment/culture in the building for the better part of a decade...it's hard to not be worried about a new HC coming in that has that same issue/struggles with the transition of running the whole ship.

• Like 1

Just now, .Buzz said:

I think both are definitely better than average, but I get your point. From a fan of a team that has had a ****ty environment/culture in the building for the better part of a decade...it's hard to not be worried about a new HC coming in that has that same issue.

I get it. But as i mentioned with Shanny(granted they had the Harbaugh run), McVay, McDermott, and Flores those teams had similar stretches to the Jags. Hell, the Bills and Rams were probably worse. At least the Jags have had a playoff run the last decade 

• Like 1

Just now, bigbadbuff said:

I get it. But as i mentioned with Shanny(granted they had the Harbaugh run), McVay, McDermott, and Flores those teams had similar stretches to the Jags. Hell, the Bills and Rams were probably worse. At least the Jags have had a playoff run the last decade 

Of course. I'd much rather the young/fresh HC that ends up being one of the better HCs in the league, I just find that hard to nail down. You have guys like that but you also have guys who are brand new that ends up just not having the pull of a HC or is too young with too few connections to bring in a good coaching staff.

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I think both are definitely better than average, but I get your point. From a fan of a team that has had a ****ty environment/culture in the building for the better part of a decade...it's hard to not be worried about a new HC coming in that has that same issue/struggles with the transition of running the whole ship.

I get it. We hired Jeff Fisher for that reason. And he did get the Rams back to respectability. But we never got beyond competitive. And I understand that Trevor Lawrence is your ticket beyond that. But my point is that it took Sean McVay for the Rams to actually get back into the thick of things after not having a winning season for nearly 15 years. You don't have a situation where you need a retread to build culture imo. You have a situation where you need a guy who can take you the distance. You are starting from scratch to some degree, but Trevor Lawrence gives you credibility. 

10 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I get it. We hired Jeff Fisher for that reason. And he did get the Rams back to respectability. But we never got beyond competitive. And I understand that Trevor Lawrence is your ticket beyond that. But my point is that it took Sean McVay for the Rams to actually get back into the thick of things after not having a winning season for nearly 15 years. You don't have a situation where you need a retread to build culture imo. You have a situation where you need a guy who can take you the distance. You are starting from scratch to some degree, but Trevor Lawrence gives you credibility. 

Yeah, guess I'm just a bit gun-shy. We got the young bright coordinator in Gus Bradley that was fiery and would get guys to run through a brick wall. Then he ended up heading one of the worst winning percentages in NFL history and being part of probably the darkest years of the franchise.

Idk, not like Daboll or another bright coordinator is off the table for me. There's just hesitation. I also don't view the two I named as guys who will hold back the team. There's also Josh McDaniels, who I have obvious reservations about with 1) Coming from NE/Belichick and 2) Flaming out spectacularly in DEN, but seems to be highly viewed still in NFL circles similarly to Raheem Morris.

• Like 2

No matter who the HC is both the Jags and Bolts need to bring in an offensive mind hc, while a DC minded HC is not bad it would be best they have offensive to stay with the young qb to make an impact. Daboll has been a solid OC to help get Allen to where he is calling set plays this year to give Allen the best possible way to be successful. His creative play calling over the past couple of years has been unique and has been successful thus far. He knows how to game plan for instance vs the pats 1st time this year they knew they were weak against the rush and they ran the ball 40+ times. Then the following week they played Seattle and knew the pass def was weak and they threw it majority of the game. He knows how to dissect the opponent, he is also personable with his players, I just dont know if he has the overall voice of being a HC to hype the team overall but I am not in the lockerroom to know this.

Joe Brady to me is another young creative offensive mind coach that could be great as he coached at the college level so he can be creative at times too.

Arthur Smith has resurrected Ryan Tannehill's career that was at an all time low. He has put together a solid offense for the titans.

Both teams (Jags and Bolts) have a young talented qb (trevor on jags), they both have respectable RBs and WR weapons. Jags have some cap space to go all in on oline to protect the rookie so I can see any of these 3 guys being great options at HC as they produced some solid offenses with QBs who aren't automatic HoF players like Manning, Brees, Brady, and now Rodgers and Mahomes that have carried offenses. My knock on Bienamy is that he has Mahomes and one of the smartest offensive mind HC of this generation in Andy Reid so how instrumental has he truly been to the KC team where if he left will they lose because of it? I think they wont lose a step because of the HC and the QB play. I have seen guys like Adam Gase who had Peyton Manning in Denver absolutely ruin other qbs like Tannehill and Darnold thinking he can do what he did with one of the greatest qbs in Peyton. Joe Philbin had Aaron Rodgers and look what he did in Miami when he came his offense was mediocre at best. So to me Bienamy reminds me of these guys in that sense where he may be good but I think him being in HC discussions is based on his Qb being elite.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, guess I'm just a bit gun-shy. We got the young bright coordinator in Gus Bradley that was fiery and would get guys to run through a brick wall. Then he ended up heading one of the worst winning percentages in NFL history and being part of probably the darkest years of the franchise.

Idk, not like Daboll or another bright coordinator is off the table for me. There's just hesitation. I also don't view the two I named as guys who will hold back the team. There's also Josh McDaniels, who I have obvious reservations about with 1) Coming from NE/Belichick and 2) Flaming out spectacularly in DEN, but seems to be highly viewed still in NFL circles similarly to Raheem Morris.

Personally, I would want nothing to do with McDaniels. And I don't think I'd jump fully on board with Daboll either. I understand your point on Bradley, but I think the issue with him is that Pete Carroll designed and built that defense. So all Bradley really did was call plays for a unit that had already been set up for success.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Xenos said:

LA please! We love our first time HCs lol. 
Edit: also would be somewhat hilarious that we replaced a former Bills OC with another Bills OC as HC.

At one point this season I kind of figured Daboll and Lynn would just trade places. 

I now no longer want anything to do with Lynn lol. Which is a shame because he was good while he was here.

10 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

At one point this season I kind of figured Daboll and Lynn would just trade places. 

I now no longer want anything to do with Lynn lol. Which is a shame because he was good while he was here.

He might be fine as OC. It might actually do him wonders to get back with someone like McDermott. Especially if he ever wants to be HC again. That is of course assuming that the Chargers actually do what needs to be done after the last game.