Week 17: Miami Dolphins (10-5) @ Buffalo Bills (12-3)

TheKillerNacho

MIA @ BUF  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Miami Dolphins
    • Buffalo Bills

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/03/2021 at 06:05 PM

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

good luck guys, I am not sure if Bills will be starting players or not. I do see us with out 2 of the top 3 WR out for this game, diggs being the only one. Allen may play a half but nothing has been mentioned. I expect most of our defense to play the entire game though with a few exceptions 

I do have a questions just to guys in this forum about Tua. If for some reason he struggles and Is benched again for Fitz, do you guys consider using the texans pick on a qb like Fields if the Jets decide not to go qb? I ask only cause national media has brought it up.

Not even a little bit.  Zero doubt in my mind that Tua is the QBOTF.  Just get the man some more reps, an improved Oline, and most importantly, some receivers.

good luck guys, I am not sure if Bills will be starting players or not. I do see us with out 2 of the top 3 WR out for this game, diggs being the only one. Allen may play a half but nothing has been mentioned. I expect most of our defense to play the entire game though with a few exceptions 

I do have a questions just to guys in this forum about Tua. If for some reason he struggles and Is benched again for Fitz, do you guys consider using the texans pick on a qb like Fields if the Jets decide not to go qb? I ask only cause national media has brought it up.

The amount of criticism Tua has received for his play is unreal. He's the QBoTF, no questions asked. Considering he's been throwing to practice squad tier players the last several weeks, he's exceeded my expectations. Fitzpatrick is a risk taker so we've sent him in when we need a spark but even at Tua's stage of development, Tua is the better fit for a defensive football team that we are.

What he lacks is capable receivers.  You'd think a Bills fan if anyone could understand that a young QB is going to need time to develop and capable weapons to succeed. And Tua hasn't been held back by the accuracy issues Josh Allen suffered from in his first couple seasons.

Assuming we do land the 3rd overall pick, the Dolphins will likely attempt a trade down for a team wanting Penei Sewell or one of the QBs. If not, we'd probably go with Penei Sewell. Micah Parsons, possible Chase, is probably who we really want if we are capable of trading down into the 5-10 range. Then use our second 1st rounder on one of the Alabama WR if we didn't go Chase in the hopeful event one of them falls to it.

The Dolphins organization was incredibly high on Tua for like two seasons prior to him coming out. He was the guy they wanted. They're not going to give up on him after a single season, especially since he hasn't looked bad, even. There's a 0% chance we pick a QB high in 2021.

Like I don't even get the negativity surrounding Tua right now.

Rookie coming off a major injury and an extremely limited offseason. Playing with extremely limited offensive talent and has shown the ability to avoid rookie mistakes while showing off his quick release and elite accuracy on multiple passes this season. His sole issue has been being a bit too conservative at times... which is by no means an uncommon thing for a rookie, and more of a symptom of our receivers being absolutely unable to get any separation whatsoever. I feel like most of the outside fans are probably unaware who he's been throwing to for the last several weeks with our top TE and top three WRs all missing significant time (and mind you our WR corp isn't that good to begin with). Or perhaps they are and just willfully trolling.

But some fans are making this out to be a Josh Rosen situation which is incredibly far from the truth.

16 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Like I don't even get the negativity surrounding Tua right now.

Rookie coming off a major injury and an extremely limited offseason. Playing with extremely limited offensive talent and has shown the ability to avoid rookie mistakes while showing off his quick release and elite accuracy on multiple passes this season. His sole issue has been being a bit too conservative at times... which is by no means an uncommon thing for a rookie, and more of a symptom of our receivers being absolutely unable to get any separation whatsoever. I feel like most of the outside fans are probably unaware who he's been throwing to for the last several weeks with our top TE and top three WRs all missing significant time (and mind you our WR corp isn't that good to begin with). Or perhaps they are and are willfully trolling.

But some fans are making this out to be a Josh Rosen situation which is incredibly far from the truth.

Yeah, it's pretty nuts to me as well.  I'm guessing it's a combination of Herbert putting up good stats and the fact that Tua was benched for Fitz in two games.  And of course the fact that most people aren't watching Miami games and seeing the things we see on a weekly basis.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

My take is, it is sports media trying to create a story where there is none. It hasn't been a full season, a limited preseason training camp, given Miami's lack of offensive weapons I don't see how you put this all on Tua's shoulders. From what I have seen so far, I have no concerns, he has shown arm strength and accuracy. I would be furious if they pulled the plug less than a season in. Aside from Peter King I don't recall anyone picking Miami to do much of anything this year. As I have said the Dolphins as a whole have performed above most everyone's expectations despite decimation in the WR core. He had a bad game against Denver and Oakland but he is a rookie that is expected, even veteran's have bad games. Draft or sign some legitimate WR threats that can stay on the field then lets see what he can do. If Miami had already been eliminated from play off contention like the Bengals or Chargers I doubt you would have seen Fitz in the game with the Raiders. Right now Miami is in the unfortunate/fortunate position of trying to prep their QB of the future, with a battered offense while finding themselves still in play off contention. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Phinsesq said:

My take is, it is sports media trying to create a story where there is none. It hasn't been a full season, a limited preseason training camp, given Miami's lack of offensive weapons I don't see how you put this all on Tua's shoulders. From what I have seen so far, I have no concerns, he has shown arm strength and accuracy. 

Me neither, no worries. Tua has won games this year by limiting bad throws and still he's at 65% completion rate which is great for a rookie QB (Josh Allen was 52% in his rookie year). 

Herbert is having a magical rookie season (you know, best in NFL history, pretty standard stuff actually) and earned every accolade sent his way. It's fair for him to dominate the rookie QB media talk that's sorta kicking Tua to the side for now. The media hype machine pendulum swings back and forth constantly. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

The amount of criticism Tua has received for his play is unreal. He's the QBoTF, no questions asked. Considering he's been throwing to practice squad tier players the last several weeks, he's exceeded my expectations. Fitzpatrick is a risk taker so we've sent him in when we need a spark but even at Tua's stage of development, Tua is the better fit for a defensive football team that we are.

What he lacks is capable receivers.  You'd think a Bills fan if anyone could understand that a young QB is going to need time to develop and capable weapons to succeed. And Tua hasn't been held back by the accuracy issues Josh Allen suffered from in his first couple seasons.

Assuming we do land the 3rd overall pick, the Dolphins will likely attempt a trade down for a team wanting Penei Sewell or one of the QBs. If not, we'd probably go with Penei Sewell. Micah Parsons, possible Chase, is probably who we really want if we are capable of trading down into the 5-10 range. Then use our second 1st rounder on one of the Alabama WR if we didn't go Chase in the hopeful event one of them falls to it.

The Dolphins organization was incredibly high on Tua for like two seasons prior to him coming out. He was the guy they wanted. They're not going to give up on him after a single season, especially since he hasn't looked bad, even. There's a 0% chance we pick a QB high in 2021.

I understand he is a rookie and he does have better weapons then what Allen did start off with IMO. Gesicki is a talented Te and Parker while injury prone has been a solid #1 wr for a team. Our top WR when Allen started was literally a UDFA in Robert Foster. No TE and guys who would be on someones psqaud. 

Tua may need time but the way people are breaking down his game play where he can only put up 98 yards in 3 quarters and the one game 3 qtrs and 5 minute while Fitz goes in and doubles that with 10 min remaining people see it as a qb issue and not a weapons issue as he is getting the ball to the weapons while they are open.  If Tua doesnt throw it a few yards then he holds on to for to long making it difficult to find someone open. He has shown flashes however at times he reminds me of Tyrod Taylor, where he doesn't have that gunslinging mentality and rather hold on to the ball to run or get rid of it as he fears of turning the ball over. He seems like a guy who will be a clock manager more so then a guy who will have the gunslinging mentality. So when media sees the numbers and then sees him get pulled twice means the team isnt comfortable with him being in there. With Allen he was in good or bad. I am not criticizing tua just was curious cause of the national media talking about it. Local media has had some criticisms of him but overall don't say anything about drafting a qb in 2021. 

So in all between the struggles and benching rather then facing the adversity, the early round pick, and the fact that Herbert is posting up fairly great numbers and is willing to take the risk is why Tua is likely getting the media's attention on drafting a qb at 3. 

21 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Tua may need time but the way people are breaking down his game play where he can only put up 98 yards in 3 quarters and the one game 3 qtrs and 5 minute while Fitz goes in and doubles that with 10 min remaining people see it as a qb issue and not a weapons issue as he is getting the ball to the weapons while they are open.

When WR1, WR2 and WR3 were healthy back when Fitz was starting, Fitz threw 7 INT's (we won't count his 8th INT because it was a desperation pass after he came in late vs Denver). 

With WR1, WR2 and WR3 often injured and Tua throwing to backups, Tua has thrown 2 INT's, one of which hit a guy directly in his stone hands and bounced off (to a defender). The other INT was when Tua got clobbered as he was throwing. 

The only question now is...will Miami draft two WR's in the 1st rd, or take 2? Lol

6 minutes ago, FinSting said:

When WR1, WR2 and WR3 were healthy back when Fitz was starting, Fitz threw 7 INT's (we won't count his 8th INT because it was a desperation pass after he came in late vs Denver). 

With WR1, WR2 and WR3 often injured and Tua throwing to backups, Tua has thrown 2 INT's, one of which hit a guy directly in his stone hands and bounced off (to a defender). The other INT was when Tua got clobbered as he was throwing. 

The only question now is...will Miami draft two WR's in the 1st rd, or take 2? Lol

I think they draft 1 and sign one in FA. We definitely need more than 1.

I understand he is a rookie and he does have better weapons then what Allen did start off with IMO. Gesicki is a talented Te and Parker while injury prone has been a solid #1 wr for a team. Our top WR when Allen started was literally a UDFA in Robert Foster. No TE and guys who would be on someones psqaud. 

Tua may need time but the way people are breaking down his game play where he can only put up 98 yards in 3 quarters and the one game 3 qtrs and 5 minute while Fitz goes in and doubles that with 10 min remaining people see it as a qb issue and not a weapons issue as he is getting the ball to the weapons while they are open.  If Tua doesnt throw it a few yards then he holds on to for to long making it difficult to find someone open. He has shown flashes however at times he reminds me of Tyrod Taylor, where he doesn't have that gunslinging mentality and rather hold on to the ball to run or get rid of it as he fears of turning the ball over. He seems like a guy who will be a clock manager more so then a guy who will have the gunslinging mentality. So when media sees the numbers and then sees him get pulled twice means the team isnt comfortable with him being in there. With Allen he was in good or bad. I am not criticizing tua just was curious cause of the national media talking about it. Local media has had some criticisms of him but overall don't say anything about drafting a qb in 2021. 

So in all between the struggles and benching rather then facing the adversity, the early round pick, and the fact that Herbert is posting up fairly great numbers and is willing to take the risk is why Tua is likely getting the media's attention on drafting a qb at 3. 

Tua definitely isn't the gambler that Fitz is, which is exactly what this year's team needs.  When you have the #1 scoring defense in the league, as well as the #1 defense in takeaways in the league, you don't want a guy like Fitz out there throwing picks and giving it right back.  You want the guy that is capable of managing the game and taking care of the football.  But when the team is down a fair bit, you have to take some chances which is why Fitz was brought in.  

But don't equate taking care of the football in a rookie year (also during a pandemic, with no preseason, coming off a major surgery, with an Oline starting 3 other rookies, with a receiving corps filled with 4th and 5th WRs, etc) with not being willing or able to huck the ball downfield.  Go watch the first minute of Tua's Alabama highlights and you will see some absolutely beautiful deep throws.  Go watch some of the dimes he's thrown already this year to guys like Jakeem Grant, only to see him drop them.  Once the Fins add 2 guys that can actually consistently get some separation, Tua is gonna blow up.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

You do realize Parker has been out for the last three and a half weeks and Gesicki/Grant has also missed multiple weeks, yes? Also I do recall a game Josh Allen threw for only 82 yards as a rookie - so it's not exactly uncommon. Tua was struggling to find people open because there were none open. He never benefited from having the Raiders commit a blown coverage. But yes, he was able to move the ball by taking risks in the previous drive.

Miami is not going to take a QB at 3. Haven't really heard anyone but twitter trolls suggesting it either.

Tua will learn to take shots (and he has). Or he won't. It's not something I'm exactly concerned with though at this juncture.

• Like 1

I have been laying low this season just taking it all in, it has been a great season regardless of what happens tomorrow. I think Buffalo wins tomorrow but I hope I am wrong. I am wanting to see how Tua handles tomorrow knowing the playoffs are on the line and he has no back up and it is all on his shoulders.  This team has been great to watch this season and I am so excited about the future but I sure hope the season does not end tomorrow. 

Bills....... 27

Miami ....23

Devante Parker will play, Jakeem Grant will be out. So at least Tua gets one of his weapons back.

Looks like Josh Allen will start for the Bills, but murmurs are that the Bills are merely looking to get him the Bills passing record. Will be interesting to see what their plans ultimately are.

The Bills are benching a handful of defensive starters, though: Tre'Davious White, Jerry Hughes, and Mario Addison are all inactive in Week 17.

11 minutes ago, Emerica said:

I obviously want us to make the playoffs but I’d be fine if they kept their starters in. Let us earn it. Great learning experience for the young ones.

Yeah, as I keep saying: we should not and cannot count on it. I'd much rather beat them outright. ;)

Very nervous though.