Steelers to start QB Mason Rudolph over Ben Roethlisberger versus Browns

AFlaccoSeagulls

The Steelers are a "tired" team - from all of the COVID- induced challenges to their schedule and the lack of a bye week
They are mentally and physically in need of a break.
Tomlin is making the calculated decision that resting his team and removing the pressure this week is what they need to be successful in the playoffs.
A HC needs to know when to push and when to back off  - and I think Tomlin has earned the benefit of the doubt here.

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

The Steelers are a "tired" team - from all of the COVID- induced challenges to their schedule and the lack of a bye week
They are mentally and physically in need of a break.
Tomlin is making the calculated decision that resting his team and removing the pressure this week is what they need to be successful in the playoffs.
A HC needs to know when to push and when to back off  - and I think Tomlin has earned the benefit of the doubt here.

Pittsburgh needs to play for the #2 seed and the bye. We made the same mistake in 2015 and that cost us HFA.

7 minutes ago, biggie. said:

Pittsburgh needs to play for the #2 seed and the bye. We made the same mistake in 2015 and that cost us HFA.

They don't get a bye. Only the #1 seed gets a bye. I think that's one of the reasons for the decision. They really need it. 

• Like 3

I don’t get it. 2 seed still at play, and you can prevent divisional foe from getting in. Not to mention you are in a funk, 1-3 in last 4 and your only win wasn’t exactly pretty. 

I understand maybe wanting to try to angle for a round 1 matchup vs Cleveland, but then what? Travel to Buffalo? Goal should be SB run not to win a wild card game.

1 minute ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I don’t get it. 2 seed still at play, and you can prevent divisional foe from getting in. Not to mention you are in a funk, 1-3 in last 4 and your only win wasn’t exactly pretty. 

I understand maybe wanting to try to angle for a round 1 matchup vs Cleveland, but then what? Travel to Buffalo? Goal should be SB run not to win a wild card game.

Like others have said, I think the real goal here is rest. Steelers are a very old team where it matters (trenches + QB) and haven't gotten a "true" bye week, but yeah aside from that I don't understand giving this game away.

If the Steelers lose this game, I'm pretty sure they're locked into one of the Browns or Ravens as their most likely opponents, who they are 3-0 against this season thus far (Dolphins, Colts/Titans are unlikely to finish with in the 6th seed). Might be a calculated way to get an opponent they are familiar with in the first round.

However, to throw away your chance to get a guaranteed second home game seems... questionable, to say the least. Assuming the Chiefs and Bills win in round 1, that would put Steelers on the road against Buffalo instead of potentially having that game played at Pittsburgh, which makes this an odd decision to say the least for a team that is 7-1 at home this season.

It'll be very interesting to see if this is just Big Ben or if other starters will also sit versus the Browns.