Steelers to start QB Mason Rudolph over Ben Roethlisberger versus Browns

AFlaccoSeagulls

32 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

After thinking this through I can understand a little more why PIT would take Option 1 below (all numbers from 538):

(1) Bye week in week 17 + Home game vs CLE (77%) or BAL (23%) (depends on outcome of MIA/BUF)

• 65% chance to beat CLE
  • 80% chance to beat BAL

(2) Grind in week 17 + Home game vs IND

• 47% chance to beat IND

Odds of moving onto Divisional Round:

(1)

• BONUS BYE WEEK PLUS:
  • (.77)*(.65) = 50% chance of beating CLE
  • (.23)*(.80) = 18% chance of beating BLT
  • 68% chance of moving on

(2)

• No Bye Week PLUS:
  • 47% chance of moving on
  • 77% chance of getting 3 seed even with a win (BUF beats MIA)
  • ~60% chance of #2 seed Buffalo winning in wild card round vs BAL = (.47)*(.77)*(.60) = 22% chance of having to play IN Buffalo in divisional round

So you trade a 22% chance of traveling in Divisional for a 21% increased chance of winning wild card + a BYE

It makes more sense when looking at matchups

One of the key points here is that what seems like the most probably opponent for the Steelers in the wild card round, is Cleveland. I imagine playing a next week rematch against a team that you just saw go all out to try to beat you (while you aren't) is a significant advantage. Maybe they put in some terrible schemes just to mess with them.

Pittsburgh 80% chance to beat Baltimore is wack though...

Browns should forfeit the playoff position if they lose, regardless of other games results.

Losing to Sam Darnold and Mason Rudolph in back to back weeks is like the pinnacle of unworthiness. 

My guess:

Browns 28

Steelers 14

Mason Rudolph doesn't let that helmet come off once. 

Browns secure a playoff spot.

Steelers are beat up with an aging QB who hasnt had a bye since week 4.   The only thing they can potentially lose is a home game vs Buffalo, which isnt a big deal, especially this year.   

The Steelers woes on offense wont change regardless of who starts week 17.   The only chance the Steelers have is if they start stretching the field like they did in the 2nd half vs Indy.   

Resting Ben and other key players is an easy call.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 43M said:

Steelers are beat up with an aging QB who hasnt had a bye since week 4.   The only thing they can potentially lose is a home game vs Buffalo, which isnt a big deal, especially this year.   

The Steelers woes on offense wont change regardless of who starts week 17.   The only chance the Steelers have is if they start stretching the field like they did in the 2nd half vs Indy.   

Resting Ben and other key players is an easy call.

Agreed. Plus Buffalo is the best team in the NFL right now - very unlikely they lose to Miami, so if Pittsburgh played all their guys and Buffalo still won....ugh.

Whereas traveling to Buffalo isn't far and is pretty much going to be the same weather.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Mason Rudolph throws a pick to Myles Garrett - and then then gets penalized for "leading with the helmet to initiate contact" and then gets so frustrated he drops an(other) forbidden-word-bomb, this time loud enough for everyone watching at home, would be good theater for all.

😯😯😯

I mean, I don't know if I would call that "good theater for all", as you put it, but you do you 🤷‍♂️.

Edited by NudeTayne

12 hours ago, incognito_man said:

this is shocking to me

Miami is capable of beating BUF. It doesn't make any sense to me why PIT wouldn't try to get that #2 seed and host 2 playoff games for sure (if they win)

unless Ben is injured?

Ben is old and worn down. He’s catching some Z’s before playoffs.