Jets: Build around Darnold, or draft a QB?

Nzd07

The Jets will likely end up with the #2 pick, and they have a LOT of cap space next year. If they play their cards right, I think they could be a borderline playoff team next year with an influx of talent and a new coach.

However, if they want to take more of a long-term approach, drafting a QB may be the way to go.

What say you?

Don’t decide yet. See who’s coming available between the end of the season, free agency, and the draft, then decide having considered different contingency plans. If you don’t like any free agents or a guy at pick 2 roll with Darnold and maybe a mid round flier and trade the pick for a kings ransom and let some other team draft the next Trubisky/ Rosen.

if they draft or stick with a QB they don’t love just for the sake of needing a QB, that’s how they will stay bad.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I just don't think the money works to make Darnold the focal point. You're at ground 0 of the rebuild and Darnold has 2 years left, by the time you've got a league average roster (and even that is expecting a lot) you've gotta pay the QB $120M+. 

Gotta trade him, it's really the only play.

I don't think Darnold will command a huge contract unless he has a massive, Goff-like turnaround to his career. Part of that isn't really his fault, as he was thrown into such a bad situation.

Either way, the Jets could try to build their roster as best they can for 2021-2022, surround him with insane talent, and see how far they can get. Then make a decision on the contract. 

Edited by Nzd07
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nzd07 said:

I don't think Darnold will command a huge contract unless he has a massive, Goff-like turnaround to his career. Part of that isn't really his fault, as he was thrown into such a bad situation.

Either way, the Jets could try to build their roster as best they can for 2021-2022, surround him with insane talent, and see how far they can get. Then make a decision on the contract. 

The expectation with keeping him is that those two years with stability and real offensive talent around him actually develop him and turn him into a viable NFL QB. That's the dilemma, if you're gambling on Darnold then the bill comes due well before you're ready to pay it off. I just don't see that as a viable path.

Draft Sewell. Have your oline set with Becton and Sewell. Sign a vet qb. Maybe Ryan or Stafford if available. Then if Goodwin is FA, sign him, then draft Freiermuth in the 2nd. Trade up to the 2nd and grab Najee. Then you put Darnold in good position with contingency or have him sit behind good vets to learn.

• Like 1

Just now, Thelonebillsfan said:

The expectation with keeping him is that those two years with stability and real offensive talent around him actually develop him and turn him into a viable NFL QB. That's the dilemma, if you're gambling on Darnold then the bill comes due well before you're ready to pay it off. I just don't see that as a viable path.

True. It (sort of) worked for the Rams, although that was Goff's 2nd year, so they had more time to build a championship roster around him before paying up.

If they love Fields or even Zach Wilson, you absolutely take him. Else, the Jets could do a lot worse than just take Sowell or trade down to someone who does love a QB and continue to rebuild. The Jets need a lot of pieces to actually be competitive so without the option of a generational talent at QB being on the board, it should make their decision to stick with Darnold a pretty easy one (at least for one more y ear).

1 minute ago, Bearerofnews said:

Draft Sewell. Have your oline set with Becton and Sewell. Sign a vet qb. Maybe Ryan or Stafford if available. Then if Goodwin is FA, sign him, then draft Freiermuth in the 2nd. Trade up to the 2nd and grab Najee. Then you put Darnold in good position with contingency or have him sit behind good vets to learn.

I like the idea of building talent around a veteran QB. Sort of like what the Colts did.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nzd07 said:

True. It (sort of) worked for the Rams, although that was Goff's 2nd year, so they had more time to build a championship roster around him before paying up.

There are a couple major distinguishing factors. First, the Rams had no first round pick. If they did have their #5 overall pick, for all we know, maybe Mahomes or Watson is starting for them right now. Second, Goff had only started 7 games at that point. Darnold will end the year with 38 starts. 

10 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

I like this - I wouldn't say "sit behind good vets" moreso than he's competing for a starting job. He's still a commodity, but he's not walking into a starting gig until he earns it; If he gets beaten out, so be it.

Only caveat is the following:

11 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

If they love Fields or even Zach Wilson, you absolutely take him.

Evaluate both QBs. If one of them is THE guy from your vantage point, take them. Still bring in the vet, still hold your competetion - but Darnold is now out of the equation.

14 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

You have to trade for each of those guys, don't forget and that's going to almost certainly require a first. Not a bad investment...just have to keep that in mind. 

I think ultimately this comes down to how much Joe Douglas likes Fields / Wilson.   

If he loves either, then Darnold's getting traded.   It's that simple.

If he loves Sewell, and doesn't like either over Darnold - it's going to be Sewell.

The interesting part - if he loves the less-profiled QB - he might be willing to trade back 2-3 spots, and get that guy.  And leverage the draft value from Darnold (who probably gets a 3rd?) and the move back from 2 to 4-5 (likely a 1st, or 2 2nds).     Douglas' history of following metrics and modern analysis, I don't think he'll be "gotta get my guy, even if I overpay".    

As much as I would have preferred to see Lawrence in NYJ to make things clean - it sure makes the draft way more interesting (as JAX would have simply taken the #2 QB at 1.2, and MIA Sewell IMO).

• Like 1